• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

bombs/trades sent

Status
Not open for further replies.

moki

el Presidente
I'm not sure where else to post this; it's fun to let people know bombs are looming, and to hear their reactions. Maybe a forum that consolidates both the old Bombs/Trader comments forums? Anyhoo...

I sent off two trades and a bomb (going to a certain feline)... and my girlfriend walked while I was packaging them up and says "What, are you a cigar dealer now???" I usually package things furtively so she doesn't think I'm any crazier than she already thinks I am, but I was busted! :D

She just doesn't "get it" ;)

moki said:
Maybe a forum that consolidates both the old Bombs/Trader comments forums?
The forum was removed for a reason....... use PMs

Pretty juvenile attitude from both Matt and Beast if you ask me. There is no other place to post bomb comments and they aren’t listed as being outlawed. Hell, it’s even cigar related!

AVB.. in case you missed it:

Posted by moderators:

"The following forums have been removed:
- Secret Santa
- Trader comments
- Bombs away

The first one should be pretty obvious why it was done - but a lot of members may wonder why the Trader Comments & Bombs Away forums have disappeared. I sure someone more eliquent and well-spoken then me could say it nicely - but to bottom-line it for you, these forums were being abused. No one would post anything but glowing comments on anyone they traded with and it was getting ot the point where all a newbie had to do was send out a couple of packages and they were considered to be an honest member in good standing by all.

Now, I'm not saying that 95% of all newbies aren't 100% geniune, and sure it's nice to make a public note of a successful trade - but these forums were just starting to get out of hand."

AVB said:
Pretty juvenile attitude from both Matt and Beast if you ask me. There is no other place to post bomb comments and they aren’t listed as being outlawed. Hell, it’s even cigar related!
Not saying Moki is abusing it - but many here was abusing the forum as a way of setting themselves up as respectable members versus giving a heads up or having fun. Several people still bombed without using that forum or only used it part-time when they would use it.

There is something better and stronger in doing things "below the radar" and the correct reputations still go out. I don;t think Matt or Beast are out of line at all - simply trying to prevent some people from abusing the idea of bombing as a measure of getting established here.

There were several people who would deliberately bomb for no other reason than to keep their names in highlights around the appropiate forums - not saying Moki is one of them at all - but if we can prevent them and others to not use this tatic it would be better for everyone here on this site - regardless of whether you "get it" or not.

Sam

AVB...if you don't like the format, I've heard there's another board you can go to. ;)

Aslo, removing those forums was a decision made by the adminstration and moderators here at CP. So in your comment about Matt and I being juvenile, you directly insulted the entire mangement team here at CP. I guess you must think your opinion here is special? Seems if there's any question of "attitude" it would be yours.

Sam, I don't even want to hear anything about getting it, having it, keeping it or throwing it away. The quote that Matt used (from DaveWF I believe) pertained to the trading forum completely except for the one line about "these forums were being abused". PM works if that is what you want to use however, in an open forum, like "The Lobby" is, you either have to leave it open or post rules of what is or is not accepted.

Also, there seems to be selective enforcement because NOBODY said anything about the bomb comment I posted here the day before. here

Since there is nothing mentioned about this in the pinned "Bomb and Trade Acknowledgment Protocol" one can assume that there is no rule against this or one hand doesn't know what the other is doing.

Also, there seems to be selective enforcement because NOBODY said anything about the bomb comment I posted here the day before. here

I don't see any kind of enforcement here? Moki ask:
Maybe a forum that consolidates both the old Bombs/Trader comments forums?

Matt replied:
The forum was removed for a reason....... use PMs

And then I agreed. Nobody said anything about breaking any "rules" posting this thread in the Lobby. Nor did anyone say anything to you when you posted the other day.

Maybe using PM's on a normal basis is the proper etiquette, but an occassional post in the Lobby isn't going to raise any eyebrows. Could that be what this conversation is all about? Hmmmmmmm?

AVB... obviously you need some reading comprehension courses... Moki asked about a "forum" for bombing and trading, I repsonded.

A bombing forum is not needed. A forum for trader comments is not needed. Both are another place for attention seeking people to flock to. Using PMs to conversate about a trade would be all that is needed. Why does someone need to post all the info about a trade that is between two people? It's no one's business but theirs. As for bombing and PMs.. have someone else send the "bombee" a PM. There, problem solved.

A comment here or there in the Lobby is not a bad thing and never said it should be "outlawed". But, I would have to think that if the Lobby becomes overrun with bombing threads and people seeking attention for being generous then a rule may need to be written.

moki, i agree, explaining anything to a signifigant other is almost pointless, especially if it is a hobby that requires a little effort. they want to know why you are too tired to take them out or clean the house, but you can bundle cigars and ship them like fine china LOL!!! :D :sign:

I would love to see the unedited version of your post AVB, but I was not trying to push your buttons - only state the obvious and come to the defense of some gentlemen who hardly need me to...

It is sad to see people here with attitudes against the FOG's, the mods, etc. and you definately seem to have one. My suggestion would be for you to get over it. They are invaluable resources to learn from and sorry to bust bubbles here but most of us are still learning despite how long we have been smoking, despite how ancient we are and despite how many posts we have made.

I liken the behavior of some people around here to that of students in a class room not liking their teachers. Tough **** - it's the teachers who give final grade and who are responsible for teaching the students. If you happen to already know it all and don't like this place, then go be your own Cigar Guru somewhere else. Cause unless you have the knowledge, experience and attitude to be that here, your not going to get that level of respect here. Simple as that and the way the world revolves. This place isn't Utopia or a place to reinvent social order - so get over it.

Sam

This is the first time I've chimed in during all of the drama in the last few threads. This post is not directed at anyone specifically and is just a general observation of some of the attitudes here.

SamGuss Posted on Feb 11 2004, 01:45 PM
I liken the behavior of some people around here to that of students in a class room not liking their teachers. Tough **** - it's the teachers who give final grade and who are responsible for teaching the students

Thanks for the teacher reference, as a teacher I definitely relate :thumbs:
Fortunately I don't have many problems with my students because they realize that if they treat me right and show me respect than I make their lives much easier. Of course if they don't want to cooperate with me or other faculty for that matter, I will make their lives hell.

IMHO the connection to CP is that things are done here the way they are for a reason (to protect the interests of the members and maitain the integrity of the site). I'm not saying that nobody should have any input for the direction of the site but the bottom line is that the administration maintains this site at no cost to us so I don't see why people feel the need to be overly dramatic about things they don't like.

My point is this: in order to keep CP the great site it is EVERYONE needs to cooperate the best we can with the policies put in place to benefit us. Being overly sensitive and dramatic when you don't like something is NOT the way adults should handle themselves. We should be able to express an opinion in an adult manner and if that opinion is not accepted by other members and/or the administration there is no reason for an argument, it will only make things worse for everyone. Even the 17 and 18 year old students in my classes understand this.
If you don't like the way CP is being managed and don't want to be a productive member with CP's interests in mind then leave.

OK, Time for a group hug :love: and lets move on from all of this crap.

BTW: This is probably my longest post ever

Is this over... I wanna make sure I get the last word in..... :thumbs:

Matt R said:
Is this over... I wanna make sure I get the last word in..... :thumbs:
Matt my "ego" won't allow you to do that. :lookup:

Woah... didn't mean to start a controversy here.

I actually did read the explanation of why those forums were removed, and I understand the problem you were having with people abusing them. Still, I must admit, I miss the forums, and was just passing along a suggestion.

It was nice to me to see people responding that they were hit with a bomb (whether mine or otherwise), not just because we had some interesting threads there, but because it also let you see who was sending out what to whom. Same goes for trades.

If I see that Joe Newbie has traded successfully with someone here that I know well, I'd be more inclined to trade with them. I realize this is the exact system you were seeing abused, I'm just mentioning what I found positive about it.

Were people really abusing it that badly, or were there one or two incidents?

Also I would not want to PM someone I was bombing normally; it's more fun to post a general announcement, and see the reaction when the bomb hits. There were some fairly hilarious threads about mailboxes being destroyed, etc., that I found entertaining.

Anyway... clearly your forum, not mine, just thought I'd make a suggestion based on my experience here...

gatorsmg said:
If you don't like the way CP is being managed and don't want to be a productive member with CP's interests in mind then leave.
Essentially, you're stating that we have two choices here:

1) Go along with the system as it stands now
2) Leave

I think there is a third option, one that is often more productive and positive in the end:

3) Get involved and attempt to improve the system

That's what I was attempting to do; if my suggestion is stupid, or not workable for some reason, that's fine, I don't care. I was just mentioning it so that it might be taken under consideration.

I've tried to be very involved here, participating in trades, passes, posting reviews, posting deals I find on the web, etc., hoping to add something to the place as well as be a part of it. This suggestion was just more of the same -- I did not mean to start a controversy, but rather open a dialog, and make my suggestion known.

I run a board of my own (not related to cigars at all), and many of the improvements we have in place are based on participant suggestion: the people in the trenches telling me what they need/would want.

Bombs have a greater impact on their target when 1) they never see it coming and 2) have no idea who wiped their ass out.

Best part is watching em squirm trying to find out who did it long after the smoke has cleared. I mailed two bombs over a year ago that I assure you are still f'ing with someones head. ROFLMAO! :p

Status
Not open for further replies.