• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Bonehead Humidor Seasoning

PetePrie

In a tired haze I recently reseasoned my humidor using propylene glycol on a cotton rag (instead of using distilled water). After realizing my mistake, I quickly switched to distilled water and wiped the cedar down a few times in an attempt to remove any propylene glycol residue.

The humidor seems fine, and I can't detect any lingering odour, but I was just wondering if it's still safe to store my cigars in it. 

Thanks.

You should be fine. You most likely wiped it all off and propylene glycol has a very low degree of toxicity. Link

Consider heading over to the introduce yourself section. It's a board norm. ;)

Personally, I'd never wipe a wooden humidor.  Seasoning takes time, all you do with a wipe is to impart some water on the surface of the wood.  You do risk warping the box and affecting seal.  Patience is how you win at the humidor game, no 'quick fix' to get a well regulated humi....IMHO.

Thanks! Yea it seems fine after a few days with the sticks back in it (and I'll head over to the intro section).

BlindedByScience said:
Personally, I'd never wipe a wooden humidor.  Seasoning takes time, all you do with a wipe is to impart some water on the surface of the wood.  You do risk warping the box and affecting seal.  Patience is how you win at the humidor game, no 'quick fix' to get a well regulated humi....IMHO.

I've heard different things from different sources, but maybe next time I'll try a different method. Are you a shot glass full of distilled water kind of guy?

The Tobacconist near me actually recommended spraying down the entire inside with distilled water to the point that no dry spots are left on the cedar. I respectfully ignored his suggestion.

What I've done is to take a small saucer and a NEW synthetic sponge, place the sponge flat in the saucer, and pour distilled water over the sponge until it's wet.  You want to end up with a bit of water in the saucer, maybe a few mm's.  Once that's done, place the saucer in the humidor.  Why..??  The sponge has FAR more surface area than a shot glass will, and will work much faster to achieve the humidification desired.  A few days with that in there, and you're good to go.

kona1000 said:
Coolidor.

agreed. It's just much more economical and easier to store when you buy boxes of cigars. Plus it holds humidity much better. Get some humidity beads and you are all set to go

have to agree with not wiping, but using a shot glass or sponge.
That is how, after ruining 1 humi, i go about it these days.

Take the time to do it right and the rewards will be worth the wait.

T