• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Booked a cruise to the Caribbean..

calhounhusker

Banned
Reaction score
So, I just booked a cruise to the Caribbean for Feb 2010. 6 days, and will visit Ocho Rios Jamaica and Grand Caymen. This will be my first time on a cruise, and first time down in the Caribbean so I'm lookin forward to it. I have a couple questions though. First, what travel humidor do you guys recommend? Ive been looking at purchasing a 15 cigar one from x-treme, but not sure if its quality or not.

also, anyone been down there and have some recommendations for reputable shops at either place to grab a couple ISOMs to smoke on the cruise? I don't want to waste any money on buying fakes while Im there. I don't plan on buying a box to bring back, as I dont want to drop that kind of cash but it'd be nice to have a couple while sitting on my balcony on the way home. :thumbs:

If I were you I would just bring some cigars from home to smoke. Aside from the fact the purchasing Cubans is illegal, most of what you will encounter on your trip will be fakes. I have an xtreme travel humi and it has served me well. Have fun on your trip.

I plan on bringing enough cigars to smoke while on the trip but I wouldn't mind grabbing a true ISOM MC while down there to try. :)

I second the xtreme travel humi's - I use one and it works great and is very durable.

I can't help you on the cubans, but haven't had any luck buying them in port when cruising - fakes everywhere.

I plan on bringing enough cigars to smoke while on the trip but I wouldn't mind grabbing a true ISOM MC while down there to try. :)

Last trip I made to Jamaica (about 6 months ago) everything I saw were fakes. You don't want to stray far from the tourist areas as it can get pretty rough and you will be easily targeted. You will stand out. lol Everyone will want to sell you "authentic" cuban cigars.... save your money, they're not. Also, don't mess with any whacky tobacky. They're plenty of people that will sell you this stuff but the police do too. While they have a relaxed enforcement among the locals they have a stepped up enforcement with tourist. Fill your day with one of the tours offered from the ship.

Grand Caymen - love that place but the shop I use to go enjoy a smoke at is no longer there. Use to be along the strip on the second floor. There is a La Casa del Habano located in the shopping area between the two cruise ship docks. Prices were fairly high considering. Just ask anyone for directions to La Casa del Habano and you'll easily find it.

People always want to get "authentic" cuban cigars when they go on these cruises and I suspect 90%, if not more, end up with fakes. If you don't know what you're looking for the odds are against you big time. I highly advise people to NOT buy cigars in cruise ship/tourist areas. There are much easier and cheaper places to do this. Take what you plan to smoke with you.

I hear that a certain Admin at a GREAT cigar forum has a store...Trying to remember the name... :p

Last trip I made to Jamaica (about 6 months ago) everything I saw were fakes. You don't want to stray far from the tourist areas as it can get pretty rough and you will be easily targeted. You will stand out. lol Everyone will want to sell you "authentic" cuban cigars.... save your money, they're not. Also, don't mess with any whacky tobacky. They're plenty of people that will sell you this stuff but the police do too. While they have a relaxed enforcement among the locals they have a stepped up enforcement with tourist. Fill your day with one of the tours offered from the ship.

Grand Caymen - love that place but the shop I use to go enjoy a smoke at is no longer there. Use to be along the strip on the second floor. There is a La Casa del Habano located in the shopping area between the two cruise ship docks. Prices were fairly high considering. Just ask anyone for directions to La Casa del Habano and you'll easily find it.

People always want to get "authentic" cuban cigars when they go on these cruises and I suspect 90%, if not more, end up with fakes. If you don't know what you're looking for the odds are against you big time. I highly advise people to NOT buy cigars in cruise ship/tourist areas. There are much easier and cheaper places to do this. Take what you plan to smoke with you.

Thanks for the advice. Ill look up Las Casa when Im in Grand Caymen. If I have to pay a little more than normal for a real ISOM Montecristo then I am alright with that. As long as it's real anyways.

And whatever could you be talking about Cee :whistling:

I think I did that same cruise in 06. I took Royal Caribbean. I did not smoke cigars back then. Now I just travel with my fiver traveldor. Pretty much anyone would do for the short time that you are gone. I went to La Casa del Habano while I was in Cancun. The prices were higher then what you get them for but they were real. Saw a lot of fakes. Jamaica was a blast I did the Dunn's River Falls tour. That was a workout. In the Grand Cayman I swam with the Sting Rays and snorkeled. I did find that the prices in Grand Cayman were much higher then in Jamaica.

What port are you debarking from?

If Galveston, TX let me know and I'll arrange for a "real" something or other to be waiting on you. :cool:

If Galveston, TX let me know and I'll arrange for a "real" something or other to be waiting on you. :cool:

Damnit!

I will be leaving from Fort Lauderdale.... Maybe I should change.... :laugh:

And IBQ, I'm taking Carnival, I looked at RC but they seemed a bit too pricey for a balcony cabin which was a need(Gotta be able to smoke a cigar while sitting outside in privacy :) )

Damnit!

I will be leaving from Fort Lauderdale.... Maybe I should change.... :laugh:

And IBQ, I'm taking Carnival, I looked at RC but they seemed a bit too pricey for a balcony cabin which was a need(Gotta be able to smoke a cigar while sitting outside in privacy :) )

Just be forewarned, most if not all cruise lines no longer allow smoking on your balcony. If you recall that big fire on Princess a few years ago, I think it was determined that it was caused by someone tossing a cigarette off their balcony and it blew back into a room below.

Also, on my last cruise I found that it was quite windy on my balcony more often than not.

With everything I have read it looks as if carnival still allows it. We will see though I suppose.

...if not - no worries - there's no problem smoking on certain areas of the deck. I never had any issues with being permitted to smoke at least in some area of the ship - and never had a problem enjoying the evening sunset - a fine libation - and a great smoke...

As far as getting real ISOM's - I echo what others have said. I saw some of the most incredible excuses for fakes I've ever seen. What I found interesting - there were shops whose entire stock was fake, with the exception of Guantanamera's (like someone would want to fake a Guantanamera)... And the Guantanamera's were far pricier than their faked cousins... Go figure!!!

Stick with the La Casa del Habano, if you can find them. It will be more expensive, no doubt - but you should be okay.

I tried to "debark" my dog - but she's a bit of a challenge... :whistling: