• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Books about cigars

Lemon

I only know a fraction of the whole universe of knowledge regarding cigars, and often questions pop up that I can't find answers to. I would like to strenghten my basic knowledge about cigars. Somehow searching for pages on the internet isn't as motivating or reliable, a book would feel so much nicer.

So, what would be a nice book about cigars? Something I could perhaps order at Amazon.com? I'm sure some of you have read and perhaps own such books. I've heard talk about the Min Ron Nee (correctly spelled?) book about habanas, but it was awfully expensive and not to mention hard to find. I would like to hear experiences with books about cigars and then perhaps someone could recommend me a book worth buying. Reading about different brands on the pages of internet shops doesn't give a realistic picture imho. Afterall, they want to sell the cigars, not review them.

Once again, all comments and questions are more than welcome. I know I'm a newbie and I only have respect to give :thumbs:

Rumor has it that MRN's fine tome will be available in a new printing on Amazon in a couple of months. Should also be a pretty reasonable price, say around $80. Well worth it if you ask me. If you love Havanas the scale photos alone are worth the price of admission :love:

lucasbuck said:
Rumor has it that MRN's fine tome will be available in a new printing on Amazon in a couple of months. Should also be a pretty reasonable price, say around $80. Well worth it if you ask me. If you love Havanas the scale photos alone are worth the price of admission :love:
[snapback]195692[/snapback]​

Well I could always buy that one to specialize in Havanas, seeing how those are the easiest for me to get of all cigars :D I'm looking for one that would hold info of a broader area, but not necessarily specialized in anything.

If you want a guide that lists cigars currently in production the Perelman's are nice little books. They have one for NC's as well as one for Havanas. Rudman's are similar and also very informative. Both are available through Amazon as well as many other book dealers.

I bought the Cigar book for Dummies (or something like that, it's in the "Dummies" line) when I was a noob (last week! :laugh: :laugh: ). It was really about a year ago and it was useful and somewhat interesting. I still look through it occasionally when I want to learn about some specific aspect of tobacco, cigars or cigar making. It's pretty much Cigar 101. I have the Perelman book as well as MR Nee's book. The MRN book is strictly Cubans and the Cuban cigar industry/families. Pictures are excellent and it is really an interesting read, although not much on history of cigars, how they are made, etc. It depends on what you want. Reference book or Cigar 101?

You can poke around some on Amazon to see what others have to say as well. Some of the cigar books are pretty crappy....

Cheers,
Joe

I have the Perelman book as well as MR Nee's book. The MRN book is strictly Cubans and the Cuban cigar industry/families. Pictures are excellent and it is really an interesting read, although not much on history of cigars, how they are made, etc.

SHOW OFF !! :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

:cool:

You can sometimes find the MRN book on Ebay, but it goes for around $150 or higher. I was lucky enough to get mine from the original release.

I also picked up a mrn in a group buy, but I use the interenet to read a lot of "pesonal opinions" regarding cigars. Although MRN is right on it's just 1 person opinion. There are a LOT of good sites that have cigar ratings if your curious about a smoke you never had. Plus the internet also has most recent info not like books that get old quick!

Just read up on Absinthe and still intersted in trying some of the good stuff!!

:hint hint: :rolleyes:

Thanks for all the replies :thumbs: I'll have to look into Perelmans book, and I'm pretty sure I will buy the new printing of the MRN book of Havanas.