• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Books: "Ready Player One" and "The Martian"

Spad31

Previously, on Battlestar Galactica...
Hey all,
Both are EXCELLENT books, IMO. Very different, but I have an idea most of you who know how to stop the VCR from flashing 12:00 will like them. (This excludes our cranky old FOGs who just like to grumble about "'them damn kids. GET OFF MY LAWN!" :whistling: :thumbs: )

No spoilers here.

"The Martian", written by Andy Wier is about humanity's first manned mission to Mars. Chaos and tragedy ensue, with one crew member dead and unrecoverable; thus left behind as emergency mission abort happens. He didn't die. (NOT a spoiler! Page 1. (Titanic sinks, BTW. DiCaprio dies and the old lady throws the diamond back into the ocean)) Very, very accurate book, with research and scientific peer-reviewed data, the book is so entertaining and good, you won't put it down. I promise. This one is for everyone; you'll all get a charge out of it. Movie shooting as we speak.

"Ready Player One", by Ernest Cline, quote "In the year 2044, reality is an ugly place. The only time teenage Wade Watts really feels alive is when he's jacked into the virtual utopia known as the OASIS. Wade's devoted his life to studying the puzzles hidden within this world's digital confines—puzzles that are based on their creator's obsession with the pop culture of decades past and that promise massive power and fortune to whoever can unlock them. 
   But when Wade stumbles upon the first clue, he finds himself beset by players willing to kill to take this ultimate prize. The race is on, and if Wade's going to survive, he'll have to win—and confront the real world he's always been so desperate to escape." - Description from Amazon. Couldn't have put it better myself. If you know pop culture from 70-80s, you "get" this and completely love it. Spielberg just signed to direct. (Could be excellent if done right and...Lucas needs to stay the &^$@ away.)

Axl says two thumbs up and seriously, check 'em out.

Bonus: Audio version (audible.com) of Ready Player One narrated by Wil Weaton (which is very cool in itself; he's also mentioned in the book as one of the pop-culture references... ;)

I own em both in several formats. Read and listened to each multiple times. Yeah, they're THAT good.

-Trey

Just finished "the Martian" and waiting on "ready player one" to be returned to the library.

Really enjoyed the Martian and it should transition into a movie fairly easily.

I liked Ready Player One. I normally shy away from books like it, but this one pushed the right buttons for me (horrible pun...I'm sorry). I'm always looking for something new to read, so I'll check out the The Martian. Thanks!