• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Boveda/Humidpak

bankerjoe

Does anyone have experience with these? Can one use them as your only humidfication source? Or should you used them in conjunction with something? I only ask because I see conflicting statements. I have a 100 count I keep at home, and I have a 10-15 count that I have outgrown (it was my first), although was planning on re-seasoning and keeping at my office desk. They seemed simple to use and wa wondering if they work as claimed (maintaining RH without to much fluctuation). Thanks.

they are perfect for the 15ct kept at work, that is what i was doing not to long ago till i ran out of sticks at work and took the humi home to restock and left it there lol

I use the Boveda 65% pack for calibrating my hygrometers and that is it. You could certainly use them for your sole source of humidification in a small humnidor (or a larger humdidor with multiple Boveda packs) but since they wear out I only use beads in my humidors.

My beads are in a bag and dry-to-the-touch so I don't need to worry about any spillage in my travel humidor. My beads are cheaper in the long run too since they do not wear out.

Please note: I only use the beads that I sell (Shilala's Beads -- you may be familiar with them from another forum). I am not trying to push them on you; just offering my 2 cents.

We sell them and people love them. They keep humidity very accurately and they're pretty popular. Of course, there are good arguments for beads and other systems, but at the 10-15 stick range Boveda would work just fine IMO.

I love them. I don't think they are great in a wooden humidor unless you have a good seal, and have a couple more than the manufacturer suggests. They are very accurate, and result in no humidity swings.

If you use them with beads, the beads will pull the moisture out of them.

I love them. I don't think they are great in a wooden humidor unless you have a good seal, and have a couple more than the manufacturer suggests. They are very accurate, and result in no humidity swings.

How many would you suggest having in a 100 count humidor with about 50 or so sticks? I currently have the manufacturers recommended 2 packs in there right now, but the humidity is at about 74% would it be a good idea to throw a couple more in?

How many would you suggest having in a 100 count humidor with about 50 or so sticks? I currently have the manufacturers recommended 2 packs in there right now, but the humidity is at about 74% would it be a good idea to throw a couple more in?

Are you using the 72% RH packs? Your humidor has to be properly seasoned. If you know that is good, then I would add
at least one more than the site recommends. Go by the size of the humidor, not the amount of sticks. The more cigars you have in the humidor, the better. I use mine in the cigar boxes. Right on the cello, or above the cedar sheet on naked smokes. The 74% humidity raises questions on either your Hygrometer needs to be calibrated, or you have some pretty moist sticks in there.

I was going to post exactly what MadMonk posted. I love them and I use them in thier humidity bags, and also for storing smokes on trips. They last longer then you think.

I was going to post exactly what MadMonk posted. I love them and I use them in thier humidity bags, and also for storing smokes on trips. They last longer then you think.

IMO, they work much better in the plastic bags, and in food containers. As I previously stated, I am not the biggest fan of them in wooden humidors unless the seal is tight. I have wondered if the wood competes, and wins, aganst the cigars for humidity.
This seems to be less of a problem if I put one in the cigar box, and then put the box in a humidified humidor. Then they last a very long time. Just placing them in a standard desktop is not great unless you add one or more extra, and then they dry up in 1 to 3 months. I.e., air exchange seems to be a key factor. Of course these are all my own observations.

All that said, these are my absolute favorite humidity product, and my cigars stored with them are all in marvelous condition.

Are you using the 72% RH packs? Your humidor has to be properly seasoned. If you know that is good, then I would add
at least one more than the site recommends. Go by the size of the humidor, not the amount of sticks. The more cigars you have in the humidor, the better. I use mine in the cigar boxes. Right on the cello, or above the cedar sheet on naked smokes. The 74% humidity raises questions on either your Hygrometer needs to be calibrated, or you have some pretty moist sticks in there.

Thanks. I have properly seasoned the humidor (or at least I think I did) as I followed the directions on this site and all looked good, and also verified the calibration of the hygrometer (3 times). You are correct, I am using the 72% packs. I have been thinking about going with heartfelt 65% beads in the humidor though, and just leaving the boveda packs for boxes.

Does anyone have experience with these? Can one use them as your only humidfication source? Or should you used them in conjunction with something? I only ask because I see conflicting statements. I have a 100 count I keep at home, and I have a 10-15 count that I have outgrown (it was my first), although was planning on re-seasoning and keeping at my office desk. They seemed simple to use and wa wondering if they work as claimed (maintaining RH without to much fluctuation). Thanks.
I use them in my 75-100 ct count humi, but in conjuction with a few tubes of beads. I have a 72% Boveda on the top cedar tray and a 70% Humidipak on the bottom level. I tried using them as my main humidification source but I could I never get the RH in my humi above 59%, so I added the beads. However, I think they would work well on their own in a small humi like the 15 ct you have.

Yes! They are great for traveling. I used to use them with a humidity bag and put them in my locker at work. Id have 10 or so stogies in there at a time and I would only have to rehydrate the Humidipak a few times a year.

Edited for grammar

So it sounds like the lesson to take home here is that I can probably use them in my 10-15 count humi (which would be nice, so I don't have to keep distilled water at work), but if I choose to use them in my 100 count at home, I should use them in conjunction with something else.

Right now I have one of those elements that come with the humi (there isn't room for beads, unless I am misunderstanding something). Would that work with the packets? Can the packets touch naked smokes?

So it sounds like the lesson to take home here is that I can probably use them in my 10-15 count humi (which would be nice, so I don't have to keep distilled water at work), but if I choose to use them in my 100 count at home, I should use them in conjunction with something else.

Right now I have one of those elements that come with the humi (there isn't room for beads, unless I am misunderstanding something). Would that work with the packets? Can the packets touch naked smokes?

Throwing one in a larger humidor, with alternative humidification, sort of serves like a mine canary. If it starts to dry up, you know you have a problem.

Dryness isn't a problem. If anything, it is too much moisture, and consistency. I know that small swings are okay (and going to happen, my humi is not a critically controlled environment like a cleanroom or something). But it basically starts off really moist (say as much as 75%), then over the course of 2-3 months (as long as 4) or so it will drop down to <65% (I have gotten as low as 62%, which is okay). I was hoping to create a more consistent environment.

Yep, you've got it. I think the Humidipak would work nicely in your small humi. I just lay the packets on naked smokes since space in my humi is limited. I've never had a problem.

I cant speak for the humidification device that comes with the humi since mine didnt come with one and I dont know how consistent they are.

As for the beads, you don't need a lot of space for them. You can customize the amount you use as you see fit. I use 2 small tubes of beads in my 75 count humi along with the packets. They hold around 1/2 oz each and are about 4 inches long. Heartfelt Industries sells pre-filled tubes of beads in varying RH levels, or empty tubes if you choose to buy the beads in bulk (I recommend this route - always good to have extra beads on hand. Also less expensive overall this way.) Check them out here:

Pre-Filled Tubes (65% RH. Scroll to the middle of the page to see them.)
Empty Tubes

I use them in the winter time to boost my rh. They are a no brainer. The small packs are great for travel.