• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Box of Crow

punk_lawyer

Habeas Punkus
My thanks to Bruce (Nullsmurf) for sending me a Liga Privada #9 (along with some nice hitchhikers). Given my raging on about Drew Estates and my boycott of that cigar maker, I have a feeling that if this cigar is as good as many people here say then I am going to wind up eating some serious crow.

I will let the Liga 9 rest for a week or so then I will fire it up and let you know my thoughts.

Thanks to a great brother of the leaf!!!

My guess... you'll be eating crow!

This was one of the few cigars that lived up to its hype IMO. :thumbs:

mac

Stu,
I'll start compiling some recipes for you. At least Bruce was up front about it, I considered putting an
Opus X band on one and sending it to you...but that just wouldn't be right....I think. :cool:

My thanks to Bruce (Nullsmurf) for sending me a Liga Privada #9 (along with some nice hitchhikers). Given my raging on about Drew Estates and my boycott of that cigar maker, I have a feeling that if this cigar is as good as many people here say then I am going to wind up eating some serious crow.

I will let the Liga 9 rest for a week or so then I will fire it up and let you know my thoughts.

Thanks to a great brother of the leaf!!!

Stop being friggin' pussy and fire it up!! Eat your crow dammit!!

<insert picture of crow here> (since we can't post pics anymore...)

:laugh: :laugh: I still like Dan's idea of sending you one with an Opus band on it!

Would you care for some grated black pepper with that?

eatingCrow.jpg

I feel for you. I didn't think they would be as good as the hype as well. I was wrong. ;)

BBQ Crow:
Ingredients:
10 crow breasts
BBQ sauce
2 onions
Tabasco sauce

Preparation:
Place crow meat in a deep pan. Pour as much BBQ and Tabasco sauce as desired over the crow meat. Let marinate for at least 2 hours. Slice onions into thin slices and push out the centers to make rings. Place onions in skillet and place crow breasts over onions. The two flavors will combine while cooking. Put skillet on stove and cook until onions are brown and meat is tender. Serve crow over the onions.

Enjoy.

Enjoy, man. I just didn't want you to pass up on a great cigar (like I did).

Just ordered a 5'er of this and can't wait for your review.(Read so many good things so far.)

Tonight's cigar is the Liga 9. I have been reviewing some recipes for crow but until I confirm that this cigar is as good as everyone says, I am still keeping my boycott of Drew Estates.

I will report back following tonight's cigar session.

I'm feeling pretty good, what with hockey moms and all. I think I'll join you in the LP#9 but I'll add a splash of scotch as well.

I got one a few days ago that I am going to let rest for at least a month. Every time I open my humidor I want to fire it up.

I was trying to figure out what I was gonna smoke after I got home and this will fit the bill nicely. I'll join both of you with a splash of bourbon. :)

Had a queer natural Hemingway Signature earlier this evening--it was done in 34 minutes which is shockingly fast for me.

If I am able to work another stick in later on tonight, I'll fire up the No. 9 that I've been sitting on for a couple of weeks. I'll accompany it with some Jewish Coke and Tommy Bahama rum, assuming I still have any left by that point in the night. The rum was a gift, and frankly, it's not that good...

The Liga Privada #9 did NOT disappoint. There's definitely a box of these in my future.

I thought it was decent.

I found the beginning to be nutty and complex (reminded me of a Payday bar--salty, sweet, nutty, lots going on), middle just plain "tobacco-y" and the end a little empty yet harsh. The fundamental character and overriding flavor of it which was unavoidably present throughout and intriguing at the start evolved to become rather cloying by the end, sort of how the over-rich frosting on a store-bought birthday cake will eventually beat you down.

Construction, burn, ash, etc. was all top notch. Put it down at the 70 minute mark with about an inch remaining.

All in all, I was a little disappointed by the fact that I found myself appreciating it less and less as time went by, but it's solidly in the middle of my "try again some other time" list.

Edit-->Figured I'd add some thoughts now that I'm perhaps a little more articulate than I was at the end of the night, although I'm still not sure how to best communicate my primary reaction to the main taste.

I thought that the main flavor "theme" (for lack of a better word) throughout really overshadowed and distracted from a lot of the more subtle nuances. I didn't bother writing anything down, but I do know that while I did get quick hints of lots of different things last night (nowhere near as many or as diverse as those mentioned in Macion's masterful poem), many of those were really overpowered by the omnipresent, brutishly assertive main taste. Sort of like hearing Beethoven's Moonlight Sonata quietly tinkling away in the background while having Ice Ice, Baby blasting away on repeat in the forefront, nearly drowning out the Beethoven with it's loud catchiness.

I wouldn't characterize that main taste in any way like those of the Acids etc., in spite of the fact that I think a few of the same adjectives--forced, chemical/artificially flavored, potpourri--could easily be applied to both. I don't know how much of it was the psychosomatic result of some preconceived expectations or even if it could have been some strange artifact of the drinks I'd been putting down all night, but even approaching it with as open of a mind as possible and really wanting to like it (perhaps my expectations were too high) I just couldn't get away from the perception that it was a nice cigar created in a laboratory.

Just as excessive plastic surgery can either result in the terrifyingly artificial Jocelyn Wildenstein (horrifying yet safe for work link) or the (at least at one time) appealing yet obviously artificial Pamela Anderson (safe for work), I'd say that the same thing goes for all the tinkering done by the flavor scientists at Drew Labs.