• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Box Storage?

dawgie34203

I’m kind of a dumbass…
Ok, I need a learning moment…

When storing cigars in their box, in cellophane, in a humidor, how does the humidity reach the cigars? If I buy a box from a B&M with a perfect walk-in (and how often does that happen), I can almost make the leap that the box has been conditioned and humidified already.

But some boxes are almost airtight. I have a Perdomo box that I threw a Boveda in and used as a humidor for a while when I got over full, and it held RH very steady for a few months. In addition, a lot of boxes are painted with decor (again, Perdomo). Wouldn’t the paint coating effectively hinder any humidification?

And what if I just picked up an empty box for the purpose of adding cigars to it to put into my humidor, and that box hasn’t been in a walk-in humidor? I’m guessing that I would need to season that just like I would any other new humidor, right?

Ok all of you FOG’s and experts, teach me something!

I don't know shit. But I will say from experience that yes boxes create their own climates but they are affected by the climate around them also. VERY few boxes are airtight. That doesn't mean they won't hold 15 cigars at humidity with a Boveda that is suppose to keep 50 cigars humid. Cello isn't like a ziplock (Don't use it for a condom) and it breathes. Yes if you took a box off your shelf and started using it as a humidor, you'll save yourself a headache if you at least put a boveda in it for a while.

This post is worth the 2 cents I am charging for it.

I started smoking these

Wipe a dry cigar box down with distilled water inside and out until it doesn't just soak it up. Then set a boveda inside the box for a couple of days inside the humidor it's going to live. When your hygrometer is at the steady... that box is ready to go to put cigars in, and it won't suck moisture from your cigars. I try not to put unvarnished painted boxes in my humidors. Like the Street Tacos.... those boxes reaked like paint. I don't want that fume in my 'dor. That's what I do anyway. Not sure why a manufaturer would use paint on the box that you can smell after it's dried.

I take the cello off anything in my humidor. Probably overkill, but I will crack a dress box, or in the case of a SLB, I just remove the cover. I'll let my humidor do what it's paid to do.

Being new here, and wanting to be included - here's my ten cents worth. :)

I take little bottle caps of water and put them in wooden cigar boxes until the humidity gets up to say... 72%. (about two weeks-ish, but much less if they're already humidified) Remove the water, toss in a Boveda pack, the cigars, and a hygrometer. Come back and check on it once in a while.

Naked cigars go in naked. Cigars with cellophane go in just that way.

For boxed cigars, I remove a couple of cigars to make room in the box - toss in a hygrometer, put the box in the humidor - and then check the humidity in the cigar box in two or three days. If need be, remove the cigars from the box and leave them in the humidor. Season the box. Then cigars go back in the box, back in the humidor. Check back in a week or so.

Last edited:
I take all my cellophane off and split them down the middle, like rolling a blunt. Then I sew them together like a cellophane quilt. Then I wrap the entire humidor in the cellophane quilt. The whole process makes a lot of noise, but it's worth it.

If air can get out, it can get in. As stated, very few are actually air tight. If I get an empty box from local spot, I buy a new plain (unscented) kitchen sponge and lightly wipe it down with distilled water. Once it's dry and not damp to the touch (usually a day or two depending on how dry it is), I put the sticks in and throw it into the humidor. If you're in a humid climate, I'd recommend watching your gauges for awhile just to make sure it doesn't cause a spike in humidity.

Edit: I'm not a FOG but you got my opinion anyway.

Last edited:
I take all my cellophane off and split them down the middle, like rolling a blunt. Then I sew them together like a cellophane quilt. Then I wrap the entire humidor in the cellophane quilt. The whole process makes a lot of noise, but it's worth it.
yes, but I see no mention of duct tape ! :)

I see two choices here and for me, only two. Spend some money on a cabinet that will hold boxes or buy a large Cooler/Tupperware and use it with Bovida pouches. Unwrap the box for inspection and through it into your preferred storage system and walk away. A couple of years ago Bill @CigSid explained his dry boxing methods using a smaller humi as a daily go to and although I’m in New England not Southern Cal, and have issues with too much humidity not the other way around, this helps me not open my cab nearly as much as I used to. JMHO……free

Yes…

Unseasoned boxes will absorb RH in your humidor and from your cigars.

Even from a B&M to your home storage there will be an acclimation period.
Do not put your cigar in a dry box…or a dry box into your humidor.

@cohibasurfer made a superb point concerning painted boxes.

Climate dependent as @thinde mentioned will be a big player in your options.

@tomthirtysix how much for a Cellophane Quilt? Asking for a friend…

Lastly, large format 1lbs/2lbs Mylar bags are excellent additional storage options for unusual sized boxes or overflow options if your cabinet is full!

Last edited:
Being new here, and wanting to be included - here's my ten cents worth. :)

I take little bottle caps of water and put them in wooden cigar boxes until the humidity gets up to say... 72%. (about two weeks-ish, but much less if they're already humidified) Remove the water, toss in a Boveda pack, the cigars, and a hygrometer. Come back and check on it once in a while.

Naked cigars go in naked. Cigars with cellophane go in just that way.

For boxed cigars, I remove a couple of cigars to make room in the box - toss in a hygrometer, put the box in the humidor - and then check the humidity in the cigar box in two or three days. If need be, remove the cigars from the box and leave them in the humidor. Season the box. Then cigars go back in the box, back in the humidor. Check back in a week or so.

Completely off topic, but your avatar picture cracked me up when I was scrolling this thread. At first glance it looked like a knock off version on the Nirvana, Nevermind album cover. Kinda made me chuckle.