• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

boxes or singles?

gixxer

I'm just curious, do must of you regularly purchase boxes or singles? From the latest purchase thread I see a lot of people purchase lots of boxes, it makes me feel horrible about myself haha.

I haven't purchased a box yet. There are way too many great smokes out there to stick with a few favorites, no matter how good.

Boxes.

However, if there is something new I will sample the cigar before buying a box. I never did that 2 to 3 years ago, bad mistake.

Brian

5ers are the way to go. Its hard to judge a cigar from smoking one stick. Smoke a couple the first week you get them. If they're just OK,try to wait a a month or two then smoke what you got leftover. I was pretty surprised to see how some sticks get better with only a couple months rest.

Then buy a box.

It is a matter of prefernce, personally for me purchasing a box is only warranted when you are certain you like that smoke and plan on smoking them almost entirely if not all by your self. Preferably at different stages (now, six months, and so on) this can help me better appreciate the aging process the cigar undergoes. In general I am a 5'er fan, I can get 5 different 5'ers and sample several different smokes without commiting to a box for about the price of any one smoke. Besides it is often difficult to deem a cigar good or bad by just smoking one for various reasons. There are those rare exceptions when a cigar flat out tastes like shit (lets assume) or on the other hand when it just blows you away. Good luck and the road is often long and interesting. Before you know it you will be answering this question to someone who poses it to you. :thumbs:

Cheers,
Adrian

Btw smoke what you like, a bunch of stuff said is often overated....

I personally like the samplers. There are so many cigars I haven't tried that to buy a box of one specific cigar at this point would be like going to a donut shop for the first time, buying a plain donut and then buying plain donuts by the dozen without trying the glazed, sugared, buttermilk, jelly-filled, chocolate, cream-puffs etc...

That said, I would entertain buying a box for the purpose of having a good giveaway stick in my office humi to give clients and associates when they stop by the office. But for personal use, I'm sticking with the samplers for now.

Danny

5ers and samplers are the way to go until you know what you like and what you want to have around at all times.

For me, what helped me realize I was ready for boxes was realizing how much I love DPG Blacks. The thought of running out of 1979 robustos makes me almost panic, because these are absolutely my favorite smokes right now. Given that line of thinking, I need to buy a box of them. And soon.

Happy smoking.

Boxes! :thumbs:

I can only remember regretting buying one box in my life and they were Puros Indios. :angry:

Never again......

EDIT: Make that TWO, I bought a bundle of "Don Mateo" from JR's once. Far and away the worst cigars I ever smoked. They were ALL plugged solid, even worse than those $hitty Puros Indios I mentioned earlier.

I buy a couple singles to try a cigar out, see if I like it and to find out what vitolas I prefer. If it's one I like and I know I will smoke more of in the future I will buy a box (if storage space and money allow). I figure with a box I generally have enough to smoke one occasionally and still age some.

Edit to add:

Ok, I just realized I lied, I have bought boxes before even when storage space and money didn't allow. :D

Just one of the nasty side effects of joining CP.

Boxes and boxes and boxes and boxes. It's a disease :blush:

For the most part I buy 5'ers and singles... but have recently moved up to a few boxes.

When I started out I would go with the samplers of many vitolas, and lots of random singles from the B&M, until I found out what vitolas I generally liked more than others. Then I moved up to fivers of ones I knew I liked.

Once I realized I love for instance Tat Havana VI's and only had one left, as soon as I had the humi space I threw down on a box, that was my first. And I like the idea that there's always one there if I want it or if I want to share, and also that they are resting and aging. On the other hand all I needed was a single Padron 2000 maduro to know I wanted a box... that was my second. My roommate also loves them and at 90 or so a box you can't go wrong with them!!

I don't smoke every day usually, so I'll only really buy boxes of smokes that I know I love and also would consider ones that only come along from time to time, like the Avo limited editions, Pepin lanceros, etc.

No matter how frequently you smoke, there's nothing wrong with having a stocked humi!

And I like the idea that there's always one there if I want it or if I want to share, and also that they are resting and aging.

I don't smoke every day usually, so I'll only really buy boxes of smokes that I know I love and also would consider ones that only come along from time to time, like the Avo limited editions, Pepin lanceros, etc.

You just hit the nail on the head. The first quote is why I buy 90% of my boxes and the second is the other 10%.

I mostly smoke the same cigar every day, so I tend to buy boxes. I have a desktop filled with singles that I've bought over the years, but I mostly stick to my everyday sticks.

I generally am a box purchaser if the stick price is $20 or less. In the long run, I know Im buying a cigar I will consistently enjoy...and It saves you money...eventhough it looks like a large overhead price to pay. Since cigars are a long term hobby, i make a large term investment, and save a few $ a long the way.

I rarely buy a box of cigars without trying a few singles first. I like to try new smokes a lot, so I'm usually buying singles or fivers at first to get a better gauge on the guality & flavor of the cigars. Be forewarned, once you start buying boxes it is a slippery slope! :laugh:

Much like most have stated, I usually try to get a few singles of cigars first before I commit to a box. Though there have been a few that Ive stated on the first few puffs, that a box will be bought and soon. This just happened to me again this past weekend on the 4th. I had an Illusion ~2~, the torp, and as soon as I lit it, those words rolled off my tongue. Which surprised me, as I usually dont like torps that much, adn the 2 impressed me more than the 88 did. But I will be getting a box of them soon. Same thing happened with Tat Havana VI's, Cabaiguan Guapos, and Panaceas.

On the same hand, I have bought some blind boxes, usually less expensive ones that I know I wont be able to get singles of any time soon. Such as Fumadores, Sancho Panzas, Santa Clara, and a few others. Though most are on the recommendations of others.

Here's the drill for me: Buy singles - love cigar, buy 5-er - love cigar, buy box - smoke box.

Buy whatever you can afford and feel comfortable with! Don't feel (although you're probably joking) that you're less of a cigar lover because you prefer to purchase singles or any amount smaller than full boxes. It's all a matter of personal preference and comfort level. :thumbs:

I suppose it's because I'm still a newbie (and probably will be one for a long, long time) but I have not yet found my "favorite" cigar. Consequently, I read the reviews in Cigar Aficionado along with the reviews and comments here and buy singles to try. My recent acquisitions via "newbie trade" with StinkiMonki have yielded a brand that just may turn out to be a favorite for me (Padilla). I like the idea of 5-ers and samplers because they offer more options. All that being said...I yearn to buy boxes because for some reason I see that as demonstrating my serious commitment to this hobby. I'm not saying box purchases are necessary for everyone, just myself. I still want a large variety of smokes in my humidor because I've found that one of the most pleasurable parts of this hobby is to share with my friends and to see their reaction to cigars they may never have tried before...but I want some boxes in my collection as well. Damn..I just want more and more cigars...period!!!