• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

BrewDog Paradox Speyside Imperial Stout

Aventinus

I was pretty excited when I saw this at a local store when I was picking up a bunch of wine and beer for a trip to the lake. It must have just hit the shelves, because the whole BrewDog line up had no prices on the shelves. When I looked on my receipt to see what the price was, it wasn't on there. I'm not sure if the slacker ringing it up missed it, or it didn't register. Later a buddy told me that his (11.2oz) bottle was $11.99! That seems a little steep to me.

But anyway, here's the lowdown from the brewery:

We set about to unite two of Scotland proudest heritages and produce a product which combined all that was good about Scotland’s whisky producing history and our contemporary take on a traditional Scottish style of stout. The fact that we have developed this product in conjunction with Duncan Taylor Ltd of Huntly means we mature our beer in the casks that once housed some of the most prestigious whiskies available today. The distinct flavours of these whiskies is beautifully infused into the beer giving a unique and unrivalled experience for both beer and whisky lovers.

Paradox is produced in very small batches and each batch is bottled in a unique numbered limited edition bottle.

This was batch 005 aged in Glen Moray casks. 10%abv.

Served in a snifter. Poured a deep brown black with about a finger of fine bubbled tan head. Great aroma with whiskey, chocolate and toffee to start. Some vanilla came out as it warmed. Full bodied with a rich, smooth mouthfeel. The flavor featured more chocolate and cocoa. The Scotch flavor was pretty restrained, but definitely there. The alcohol wasn't very apparent. There was a fair amount of hop bitterness, and also roasted malt bitterness. The vanilla, oaky flavors really came through in the finish, which was nice and long.

Overall, it was a solid beer, but overpriced IMHO. You could have two Goose Island Bourbon Counties for the same price. It's worth a try, if you like barrel aged beers.

Damn, another beer I need to track down. I'm a sucker for Imperial Stouts, especially barrel aged ones.

Nice review Pete.

brew Dog just hit my area also. I picked up Ripe Tide which is described as a twisted merciless stout, and Hardcore IPA which is described as an explicit imperial ale.

Had the Ripe Tide it was good. Lots of bite, flavor and rather thick.

I look forward to the ale next week.

Keith

Nice review, Pete. I love BA beers but like you said, its hard to beat a BCS. Not sure I would pull the trigger on this one at that price tag but it sounds tasty.