• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Brick House Robusto

CRQuarto

Brrraaaiiinnnsss.....
Brick House Cigars Robusto
Size: 5" x 54 rg
Wrapper: Nicaraguan
Binder: Nicaraguan
Filler: Nicaraguan
Strength: Medium

A couple months ago I was in the area of the former Red Cloud Cigars in Orange, though now it is George's Cigars, or something of the sort. While I didn't care much for the people who worked at Red Cloud, the selection was decent, and it worked in a pinch for a spur of the moment smoke. I was hoping that the same could be said about the new place, but alas the humidor was pretty empty. I did, however, buy a couple smokes just to help support the place in hopes that maybe with time it will grow into a good B&M, but I am not sure this is going to happen. One of the cigars I purchased is this one, as I had read a bit about the new line from J.C. Newman and was curious about it. From what I understand the cigar was originally made with Cuban tobacco, though now it is instead a Nicaraguan puro.

Pre-Light

The construction of this cigar is very good, with the cap being well done, and the foot being nicely bunched. There is an oily sheen to the wrapper which has a few large veins in various areas, and when given the squeeze test the overall feel of the cigar is very solid, including the weight in the hand. When smelling the foot, I find it to have a very pleasing, sweet smell that is almost sugary in nature.

Draw & Burn

On cutting the head, I found a perfect draw that had just the right amount of resistance and further showcased the quality of construction for this cigar. I toasted the foot to an even glow, to reveal an ash that was light gray in color with flecks of black mixed in. I found that the ash held on strong until let go every inch or so, and noticed that while the outside of it was light gray, the inner part of the ash was almost black in color. The burn itself stayed sharp and even throughout, never requiring a touch up or relight.

Flavor Profile

The pre-light draw was very surprising in that I had expected a bit of sweetness to it, but instead found a very nutty taste. Once I had the cigar burning nicely, that same nutty taste in the pre-light was very prominent, along with a hickory flavor mixed with a touch of sweetness and a solid core of very good tobacco. The smoke itself was very full in the mouth, with a meaty, chewy quality to it that left a nice, long finish. When letting the smoke out of the nose I found it to have a good spice that is easily associated with that wonderful Nicaraguan tobacco.

Overall Impression

I'll admit that I didn't have high expectations for this cigar, and was honestly a bit skeptical as to how good it would be. I figured it would be a mediocre smoke that wouldn't really warrant much more than a, "Gave it a shot, not for me." feeling, however this was not the case. At just a little under $5.00, this cigar was very, very good and a heck of a bargain. I wouldn't say that it beats out Padron in terms of being a kick ass bargain smoke, but it certainly can hold its own. If I had room in the humidor, I would consider getting a box if just for sheer curiosity to see how some age treats them.

DSC_3005.jpg

DSC_2998.jpg

DSC_2999.jpg

DSC_3008.jpg

DSC_3001.jpg

DSC_3013.jpg

Great review Charles! My first experience was exactly the same. I figured what the hell I'll try it and quickly realized it was a damn good smoke, especially at that price point.

Sounds like a pretty good smoke. May have to try one out eventually. Nice review!

I love it. Has become a nice "go to" cigar my B&M carries.

John

Great review Charles! My first experience was exactly the same. I figured what the hell I'll try it and quickly realized it was a damn good smoke, especially at that price point.

Thanks! :) It really is a nice little gem. The flavors are solid, construction is good, it is a very well rounded cigar to be sure.

Sounds like a pretty good smoke. May have to try one out eventually. Nice review!

Doooo iiiiitt! The price point really does make this cigar worth it, especially because it adds to a somewhat small pool of great cigars at low prices, at least for my liking.

Great review, as usual. I'll be on the lookout for some of these.

That is a nice looking cigar, have heard good things about them, however haven't had the pleasure of puting fire to one as yet. I know you mentioned the body was full, however as far as the strength/power, what are your thoughts? Another excellent review Charles!

That is a nice looking cigar, have heard good things about them, however haven't had the pleasure of puting fire to one as yet. I know you mentioned the body was full, however as far as the strength/power, what are your thoughts? Another excellent review Charles!

I'd say a nice medium. Probably on par with, say a Havana VI.

Glad to see another review on the Brick House line. Having only smoked the Churchill, after seeing your review I went out and purchased a few in the Robusto size. Burned one last night and enjoyed it as well. I hope to see this line gain in popularity because it's hard to beat the price and quality of smoke.

-Montagieu

great review on this stick...I've been looking for the brick house at my local b&m,but nothing yet....just means time for a road trip...