• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Bugs in my humidor?

Mangudai

Im still farily new to cigars but I have a desktop humidor
60842.jpg

I have these....very tiny ant appearing bugs in my humidor and im praying that their not what I think they are....but what else could they be but tobacco beetles? They are very tiny and are a clearish/white color. Look like ants. I noticed one about a month ago but thought it was an ant so I just brushed it off but I open my humidor today and saw another and though..hmmm. I take my shelf out and look all over my humidor and see about 7 more altogether. I only have three cigars in my humidor(2 padillos and 1 dom cohiba) at the moment and I inspected them and I dont see any holes on any of them (two of them have no plastic..the other one does). One of came with a little tear at the bottom of the wrapper but thats it.

What do you think?

thanks

edit: The humidity was @ 61

Without pics it's impossible to tell. But beetles don't look anything like ants.

Doc.

i wish I could but their too small for me to take a decent pic of on my crappy camera : (

If it's only three cigars, then I suggest you smoke them over the next few days and then clean out your humidor.

If it's only three cigars, then I suggest you smoke them over the next few days and then clean out your humidor.

That actually sounds like a plan. Its been a while anyways. But I would still like to know what these are.

Termites look like ants with whitish/clear coloring, but without pictures of what you have, no way to tell. If you post a pic, I'm sure there is an amateur entomologist amongst us who can help you.

Then you've got bigger problems than tabacco beetles. You better figure out where they came from. Hopefully, they're not termites. Good luck.

upon closer inspection they look light brownish. My sister thinks their some kind of mites

Toss them in a ziploc bag and find yourself an exterminator. Ask him if he can shed any light on what they are.

Some are whitish some are light brown. These things are really tiny. I found this on another forum

http://forums.cigaraficionado.com/eve/foru...054/m/269109923

Im think about putting some of these mites in a ziplock and taking it to the university I work at like the guy in that post. That is, if no one here can 100% confirm what they are.

Thanks again guys.

edit: ^^ Guess you and me are on the same page!

I had an occassion where the cigars, it was a bundle, had some insects on them due to shipping. I saw them before I opened the bundle and just cleaned them off. Maybe, just maybe, they may not be beetles but something that sneaked into the humi via the box they came in, etc. Good luck and let us know how things go.

ed: posted before completed typing

I talked to the director of the science field and he could direct me to anyone who specializes in that area. He recommended a university that is very far from here.

It doesn't sound like tobacco bugs, but look for exit holes on your cigars.

One hole per bug. That's where they come from. Nowhere else...

Find a magnifying glass and start counting legs and segments. Insects, (ants, beetles or termites) have three sections and six legs (all attached to the center section). Mites have two sections and eight legs (attached to the front section).

Find a magnifying glass and start counting legs and segments. Insects, (ants, beetles or termites) have three sections and six legs (all attached to the center section). Mites have two sections and eight legs (attached to the front section).
Mature tobacco beetles also have wings as do all species of beetle.

Doc.