• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Bugs other than beetles?

Danforz

About once a year, I find a small critter meandering about in my humidor. In each instance, it occurred exclusively in the Cuban section of my humidor. That said, I've have yet to find a single cigar in my humidor with those small round holes that beetles create. My room can get pretty hot during the summer and you would thusly suspect that this is a point and shut case: you got cigar beetles. But why don't I get cigar beetle holes? 

Holes won't be easily visible if they come out the foot.  Does it look like a tiny beetle?

LarryH said:
Holes won't be easily visible if they come out the foot.  Does it look like a tiny beetle?

I can't say. They are tiny tiny dots that move which I kill immediately and instinctively. I thought, "maybe it's coming from the foot." But in every instance? 

Beetles usually come out the sides of the cigars. And you would see a lot of dust. Take some cigars and a plate. Tap the foot lightly and see if any dust comes out. Also can you take a picture before you vanquish the next one to oblivion?

ilikefishes said:
Beetles usually come out the sides of the cigars. And you would see a lot of dust. Take some cigars and a plate. Tap the foot lightly and see if any dust comes out. Also can you take a picture before you vanquish the next one to oblivion?

No dust. Already tried. 

I'll try to withhold my natural horror next time and photograph. Thank you for the idea. 

Sounds like wood mites. These will not harm your cigars but are a pain in the arse. Best bet is to find the the box that they are in and just take the cigars out of it. Vacuum the box and then let it sit empty in the sun during the day as the UV from the sun will kill them as they don't like light. These are usually associated with moisture / high humidity and since you mentioned that your room gets really hot during the summer is probably your cause so adjusting these will alleviate the problem. They are after the glue in the boxes and in the bands.

If that doesn't do it, you might want to empty your humi and vacuum it with a crack & crevice attachment.

Brush your cigars off but you can also place your cigars in the freezer and kill any that are still in there. You don't have to deep freeze them like with cigar beetles which require extremely cold temperatures for a prolonged amount of time. Personally I wouldn't want to freeze my cigars and would go the vacuuming route.

Also check inside your humidity device as they might be in there. If that's the case I would clean it out or replace it.  If you're using beads just replace them.

Hope this helps.

Light this! said:
Sounds like wood mites. These will not harm your cigars but are a pain in the arse. Best bet is to find the the box that they are in and just take the cigars out of it. Vacuum the box and then let it sit empty in the sun during the day as the UV from the sun will kill them as they don't like light. These are usually associated with moisture / high humidity and since you mentioned that your room gets really hot during the summer is probably your cause so adjusting these will alleviate the problem. They are after the glue in the boxes and in the bands.

If that doesn't do it, you might want to empty your humi and vacuum it with a crack & crevice attachment.

Brush your cigars off but you can also place your cigars in the freezer and kill any that are still in there. You don't have to deep freeze them like with cigar beetles which require extremely cold temperatures for a prolonged amount of time. Personally I wouldn't want to freeze my cigars and would go the vacuuming route.

Also check inside your humidity device as they might be in there. If that's the case I would clean it out or replace it.  If you're using beads just replace them.

Hope this helps.

Thank you for the in-depth response. I will vacuum my humidor shortly as per your recommendations. Hopefully that will be the end of it. I am NOT looking to place all 300 sticks in the freezer.