• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Bunnahabhain Heavily Peated Signatory Unchillfiltered 1997

rbbrock

gallery_4961_277_12622.jpg

Purchased in AVB's 5 bottle buy recently. Bunnahabhain is an Islay distillery, but its standard output lacks the heavy peat influence of the southern Islay whiskies such as Laphroaig, Ardbeg and Lagavulin. In fact, the distillery's 12 year old is a very fresh, sea-influenced whisky that I enjoy quite a bit, with only a light hint of peat among the interplay of sweet, nutty malt and Atlantic sea. See AVB's review of the standard 12 y.o. here.

This heavily peated Signatory, from a single refill cask, is bottled at 46% and not chill filtered, leaving all the oily crud in the whisky to enhance the flavor, and it is not the sea-fresh whisky I'm used to. It's a peat bomb, like burying your head in a swampy peat bog! Think Laphroaig 10 y.o. with the dial turned to 11. There is a huge blast of peat, with a very heavy, earthy base aroma. Then come hints of brine. Not as "medicinal" as southern Islay whisky, the peat seems more earthy, rather than kelpy. I really want to say it smells and tastes like fresh dirt, but it's actually much more pleasant than that sounds. Maybe the rich, moist essence of potting soil? After a few sips, and with some time for the whisky to settle, some sweetness shows itself, with a fair bit of lighter fruitiness. Not as malty as standard Bunny, which can have a toasty, nutty and honeyed character, this is lighter, almost the flavor of the light syrup from canned pears (but not as sweet). The finish is long, with the fruit fading quickly, leaving the delicious peat for what seems like forever. I could smell it on my own breath long after taking a drink, and it smelled delicious (but then, I am a certified peat phreak).

If you are a fan of peaty whisky, and especially of young Laphroaig, this is a great drink to have for a little change of pace. It concentrates even more on just plain ol' peat, and I loved it!

ETA: link to AVB's review of the standard 12 y.o.

So many to try and so little cash. I might have to think about getting one myself, thanks for the review.

If "leaving in all the oily crud" and "like burying your head in a swampy peat bog" doesn't get you excited, what does?
The color is surprisingly light for a power house. Must be the lack of sherry?

(Boon-na-ha-venn) Just saying the name is enough to make me want to try a some.
Thanks for the review!

My pleasure, gentlemen. For peat lovers, this puppy is spectacular! I, too, was surprised at first by the light color, but it's actually about the same color as standard Ardbeg, so I guess it's not all that crazy. It's not as yellow as the picture makes it look. There is definitely not a lot of wood influence here, though, being a fairly young whisky and in a refill cask at that, it retains a lot of its youthful punch. I like it! It's definitely making me move that 7 y.o. Laphroaig that Signatory bottles up to the top of my purchasing list.

Very nice review. I just finished a bottle of the Heavily Peated Cask Strength version from Signatory recently. A little more amber color and definitely a powerful dram. Other than that, the description seems right on. Not my favorite of the Islays, but not a bad change-up.

I finally had time to stop by Hi Time in Costa Mesa yesterday and found a bottle of this semi hidden, and the Laphroaig 7 was sold out.

Thank you for the reco on this, it's definetly one to get if you like the peaty islay's, and I too can't wait to try the Laphroaig 7.

Damn, you're right. I try to offer things that aren't available in the US and Hi-Time seems to be the only one who carries this. Did you get the tube with it too? At least my price was cheaper then buying at Hi-Time and shipping somewhere. Of course, they don't do that any more.

Yep it came with the tin tube.

I got this yesterday and saw your scotch buy post today, thought it was funny and glad I found it, because it's what I would have ordered, so I got what I wanted, and someone else got to get a spot in the GB, so it's a win win.

If there's a wish list you have I'll take it with me the next time I go to Hi-Times and see what they have available. Funny today I stumbled across another liquor mega warehouse... in Hemet.

picked up some blind pig's and pliny elders.

Very nice review. I just finished a bottle of the Heavily Peated Cask Strength version from Signatory recently. A little more amber color and definitely a powerful dram. Other than that, the description seems right on. Not my favorite of the Islays, but not a bad change-up.

WOW! Talk about a voice from the past! :0

SCOT!

How ya been?

Back to the scotch, I bought this in one of Ray's recent scotch buys and WOW, I love it! It's definitely not as strong and "peaty" as the staple Islays like Laphroaig, Ardbeg and Lagavulin but when I'm not in the mood for being blasted by a full bore Islay, this Bunnahabain is what I reach for.

I have to say though that Talisker 18yo is also a nice alternative to a heavy duty Ilsay. Gee, who told me about that one..... :whistling:
(Ray)

Talisker was my choice tonight because my Bunnahabain bottle is below the half way mark and I have to start exercising some restraint.

Had to stop by bevmo for proper stout's for st. patty's and saw quite a few Signatory bottles in the scotch section

No Bunnahabhain or Laphroaig varieties, but that just gives me another excuse to go back to hitimes soon.

this stuff is really really excellent

ahh Someone else in the OC that shops at Hi Times. I was there this weekend as well replacing my bottle of Talisker 18year. Been Eyeing the Bunny for awhile myself just have not pulled the trigger on it yet.

Have you tried the Old Pulteney 12 year that they stock there? It is pretty good although i like the 17 year old alot better. it is just that the 17year is such a pain to find localy.

anyone have anything to say about BenRiach?