• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

burn prob.

Randyb1

Just tried my first isom, a Montecristo Habana April 2003.
I thought it had great flavor and the draw was really nice. My question is after about the first quarter the wrapper went out but the cigar stayed lit and hollowed out the inside. I finally had to relight the wrapper. It then smoked fine until about the half way point when the wrapper started to unwind and fall apart

I was wondering if anyone had any ideas why it would do this. I have no idea how the cigar was stored although the wrapper did seem alittle dry.

Thanks Randy

Good idea to let cigars rest in your Hmui for a week or two if your are not sure of conditions it was strored. ISOM are more likely to burn a little odd in my opinion. Strange to say at the prices but they have not had the quality control that the DR/Honduras/Nic manufacturers have had in place. If needed relight when burning unevenly before it gets too far outa whack.

???

I do know that the phenomenon you desribe is called "tunneling." I do not remember what causes it but try doing a search in this site and google.

Could be the cigar was pretty equal in RH, then it was entered into an enviornment that was substantially higher in RH.

Emo

I went out on google and depending on where you look tunneling can be caused by about anything, "the way its stored, the way its made, the way you light it , the way you smoke it etc. etc. etc.

hmmm ???

emodx said:
Could be the cigar was pretty equal in RH, then it was entered into an enviornment that was substantially higher in RH.

Emo
WHat emo said.

If the cigar got to you and it was a little dry and you put it in your humidor for a few days, the moisture did not have time to move throughout the cigar. Only the outide soaked up the moisture from your humi. The outside burned as it should and the inside was still a little dry.

...or your humi is too damp in which case the inside was right and the outside was too wet.

One or the other could easily cause this.

Best advice as stated above, let them sit a while before smoking them.

Randyb1 said:
I went out on google and depending on where you look tunneling can be caused by about anything, "the way its stored, the way its made, the way you light it , the way you smoke it etc. etc. etc.

hmmm ???
Very true but IMO it's mainly attributable to either uneven humidity or poor construction. If the cigar is wet on the outside (wrapper & binder) the filler will be dry and will burn faster causing tunnelling. This is similar to when one side of a cigar is too moist causing the cigar to burn at an extreme angle.

In the case of poor construction... you need to remember that the cigars we all love are made by hand. Anything handmade will always have the possibility of being defective... it just happens. It could be a bad roll or a bad bunch... you never know.

You also mentioned that the wrapper unwound from the cigar. In my experience... this is also caused by humidity or to be more specific the change in humidity. I've found that if the wrapper is too dry and the filler is moist... it can cause the filler to expand while smoking and cause the wrapper to "burst" and start unwinding from the cigar.

I've been able to eliminate tunneling and bursting wrappers for the most part and it's pretty simple.... let the cigars rest in 65% RH for a length of time. I personally prefer 65% - 67% RH for storing my cigars and I try to always let a cigar rest for at least a few weeks before smoking them. When you receive a cigar that has been shipped or purchase one from a shop you never know under what conditions the cigar was stored. By resting/aging them yourself in a controlled environment you have control over your cigar and should be able to tell when it's ready to be smoked. And I know the common reaction.... "I can't wait that long"... LOL... trust me, I feel the same way all the time too but it's worth it to wait a little!

Aloha,

Wade

Patience..... You've got to let them sit for a week or two to normalize back to proper humidity through and through.

Can't say I always have patience, that's when a good torch lighter comes in handy. Just even the burn out and you're all set.

:)

PATIENCE! PATIENCE! What do you mean patience, maybe after my first two or three "thousand" cigars ill learn patience , :p Very good point though, something ill have to work on , just hard right now because im new to cigars and just got my first humidor, so all my cigars are just in also. Should get easer with time. But in the mean time Ill just have to smoke my friends cigarsl

GiBu budy where you at, im comming over. :sign: :sign: :sign: