• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Burnt Ends Question.

SKYDIVNEKD

Call me "Walt Kowalski"
Howdy Folks,

For all y'all who've made burnt ends before, I have a question. I've finished the brisket late in the day. I'd like to make the burn ends from the "point" but every recipe I've found says "...pull it off at 190ish, cube it, etc......then put it back on until" said temp. Can I wait til the morning to put it on? Should I cube it tonight after it get done resting, and then back to the smoker in the AM?

I'm open to your brilliance. I screwed up today by not putting the bowl of apple juice and Worcestershire sauce in the smoker. I'm not real pleased with the outcome. Any and all comments are welcome. Thanks.

Floyd T

This is what I was going to cut into the burnt ends. Glad I didn’t because it turned out better than the flat.

I’m shit canning my electronic prove thermometers and getting the ThermaPen Classic. Accurate and fast. May take a bit more babysitting, but I’ve been burned by these enough.

Floyd T
AFE68248-077C-4A47-A280-7072C066C93E.jpeg

That looks pretty good!

I've wanted to do brisket burnt ends before, but I never do after cutting into the finished brisket. I've done pork belly burnt ends a few times, and those are really good.

This is what I was going to cut into the burnt ends. Glad I didn’t because it turned out better than the flat.

I’m shit canning my electronic prove thermometers and getting the ThermaPen Classic. Accurate and fast. May take a bit more babysitting, but I’ve been burned by these enough.

Floyd T
View attachment 60740
Great looking meal right there!

When I do burn ends, I just cut it off and throw it back on the smoker right away. I then take it up after dinner, cube, and put in the au jus.

Yea, that’s what I found. I’ll hafta plan better next time. I’m getting a better thermo though, so I’ll be on a mission.

I did find a way I like to do baked beans. Y’all prolly do it already. I take Bush’s grillin beans and add a bit of brisket. Turn smoker up to 200 degrees and let ‘er go for about and hour and a half. Should be cookin pretty good. Excellent flavor and not dried out. Just a thought.

Floyd T

Floyd T
View attachment 60740
Looks awesome Floyd!

I bought this and drilled a hole just big enough to insert it into my grill/smoker. Now I can accurately monitor the inside temp but also stick it in the meat and see where that's at.

Thermometer <<<< LINK

I've had a thermapen forever, can't recommend highly enough. That said, would never want to go without a wireless thermometer for the smoker (especially since the UDS doesn't have a built in one 😂). Had a Maverick forevet that was great, but managed to lose half of it somehow and replaced it with the Govee one. Only 2 cooks in with it, but have been happy so far.

I'll continue to use the wired ones that came with the GMG, but I'll confirm with my new friend. I almost torched this last brisket since I mistakenly didn't hit the right button on the base of the thermometer I was using. Salvaged half of it so no big deal, but it's a bit too costly to risk. I'll admit, I'm the "error" in the whole process, but I'm putting in fail safes so it doesn't happen again.

My question still stands though : Has anyone ever done burnt ends the next day, after the brisket has cooled off? If so, I'll give it a whirl the next time. If not, I'll either plan better or not try it. Thanks.

Floyd T

I'll continue to use the wired ones that came with the GMG, but I'll confirm with my new friend. I almost torched this last brisket since I mistakenly didn't hit the right button on the base of the thermometer I was using. Salvaged half of it so no big deal, but it's a bit too costly to risk. I'll admit, I'm the "error" in the whole process, but I'm putting in fail safes so it doesn't happen again.

My question still stands though : Has anyone ever done burnt ends the next day, after the brisket has cooled off? If so, I'll give it a whirl the next time. If not, I'll either plan better or not try it. Thanks.

Floyd T
You can use boiling and ice water to calibrate a thermometer too, similar to a salt test for a hygro. Just make sure to adjust for altitude.