• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

But which Cigar Oasis?

reptilicus

So, I was on Cheaphumidors.com doing a little bit of shopping. Time to move into the Montegue end table humidor. They offer a free Cigar Oasis XL Plus with the humidor. Do you think this is going to be enough?

I have heard two different things. 1) That the more full you keep your humidor, the more easily it will retain RH. and 2) Just the opposite. Since I figure I'm at least $1000 bucks away from having it full of boxes, what yould you suggest?

I just recently purchased the Connoisseur unit, which is similar in size to the Montegue you are interested in. (The Connoisseur is slightly smaller on the outer dimensions; not sure about interior though.) I was also a bit concerned that the upgrade Cheaphumidors.com offers with it would not be enough. Ended up getting the Oasis XL Plus for it, and it works fine. It's slightly louder but much more powerful than the regular Oasis XL, and the airflow is different. But overall, it does the job well.

I had thought about getting an Avallo Accumonitor system to retrofit the Connoisseur myself but decided against this (price, time, interior space).

If I do find that the Oasis XL Plus is not working enough, I do have a spare Oasis XL (non-Plus) that I might use with the Plus unit. Remember, there's 2 outlets in these humidors. For example, during the winter when ambient humidity levels drop drastically.

In regards to holding humidity levels, I have heard that it is easier to hold humidity with a FULLER humidor. I think this has something to do with the cigars actually acting as individual stores of moisture. Please correct me if I am wrong.

Hope this helps...

I originally started out (with my Connoisseur) upgrading to the CO XL Plus. I had this as my only humidifying unit and found it wasn't enough. The cabinet was 65% filled with cigars, so I went and put the CO XL Plus at the bottom, then included a CO Plus (on the topmost shelf, just below the singles/pull out drawer) and also added an Oust fan (near both Cigar Oasis units) to circulate the air. Stays rock steady at 68% RH and my smokes have never tasted better.

My suggestion... see how things play out in your unit. If the RH% starts to fluctuate and stays unstable, try 2 CO units. Don't go smaller than a CO Plus for the second unit.

Others may suggest for you to use Viper's beads. I guess it all depends on whether you like passive versus active RH regulation.

My half centavo,
Darren :)

Some beads and the CO plus work well together because the beads will act as a buffer for the CO. Put a pound of beads on your singles drawer or shelf.

Thank you for your replies. Do you think a Cigar Oasis II unit would better a better choice for this size of cabinet?

The COII would be a great Idea. Try to get in a group buy to lower your cost.. More often than not you'll be buying or converting or making a bigger cabinet the CO II will handle a large area with the added fan.

Now for the cons the fan stays on all the time. So if your thinking about keeping this end table humi in your bedroom I'd think about another location.

I have the CO II in a similar cabinet although it takes up a lot of space it makes up for itself in recovery time and ease of operation. Once your cabinet is seasoned I don't have to refill the Oasis for a month and a half. I got mine in a group buy for a $150 + 5 to ship. Not a bad price considering the prices I've seen. PM me and I'll put you in touch with the BOTL who arranged it.
Frank

Have you read the thread where we are getting a discount on a group buy of the exact cabinet you are mentioning?

. . . I got mine in a group buy for a $150 + 5 to ship. Not a bad price considering the prices I've seen. PM me and I'll put you in touch with the BOTL who arranged it.
Frank

Either that or just buy it at Atlantic Cigar for $139 without a group buy. I've also seen it on Cigarbid for around $129.

Ron

. . . I got mine in a group buy for a $150 + 5 to ship. Not a bad price considering the prices I've seen. PM me and I'll put you in touch with the BOTL who arranged it.
Frank

Either that or just buy it at Atlantic Cigar for $139 without a group buy. I've also seen it on Cigarbid for around $129.
Ron

Hey Ron,
That's a great price.. I may pick another one up, thanks for the link..
Have you finished your cabinet?

Frank

I looked they have it at $525 am I missing the secret link???