• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Buying my first cubans

The guy in my Local B&M says I can buy them, and more importantly(sp) to him, he can sell them to me!

Tim

Kind of interesting, actually. I can't tell you how many times in my military career I had heard the threat of administrative action for viewing "inappropriate sites" on government computers. However, in all my time overseas I can't recall a single instance of being briefed about it still being illegal to purchase CC's even though we are outside the US borders in a foreign nation. There's no signs up here in the Canadian or Belgian shoppettes above the humidors informing the US personnel that it is illegal for them to buy and smoke CC's while stationed or TDY on the installation. I can't recall any smoke shops ever being blacklisted for selling CC's to American service members. Guess we're just a little pregnant...

I doubt you'd get in trouble for it, but it is in the Embargo, just a heads up.

Yeah, it is still the law meaning a U.S. citizen cannot purchase or consume a product of Cuban origin in or outside the United States.

Whether people enforce that law or not is a different story. ;)

I remember during the last president's administration (without getting into politics too much) there was a tightening of the noose to the point it was reitterated that even if over seas or not on US soil, it was illegal for US citizens to procure ANY cuban goods. Coffee, cigars, trinkets, etc.

With the current administration though, there has been a significant loosening of the noose, at least, IMO.

What I was getting at, for those that don't know, is that at many overseas military installations, there are places located ON the US installation, within the secured gates, to purchase legit CC's. Usually there are (as in the case here) one or more foreign tenant stores, shoppettes, or "canteens" that sell them. So, I'm not sure exactly how sovereign the Canucks and Belgians are here on our sovereign little piece of soil in this host nation, but apparently Uncle Sam isn't too concerned about it. Been this way since at least 1996, and I would assume a bit further back than that, too...

What I was getting at, for those that don't know, is that at many overseas military installations, there are places located ON the US installation, within the secured gates, to purchase legit CC's. Usually there are (as in the case here) one or more foreign tenant stores, shoppettes, or "canteens" that sell them. So, I'm not sure exactly how sovereign the Canucks and Belgians are here on our sovereign little piece of soil in this host nation, but apparently Uncle Sam isn't too concerned about it. Been this way since at least 1996, and I would assume a bit further back than that, too...

Are you certain they are legit?

Are you certain they are legit?
Exactly...Didn't a CP member in the armed forces find some fake CCs sold on a base a year or so ago?

I understand your point Kann, but are the stores selling them US Stores or are they Foreign Nation Stores?
Location does not really factor into it, all US Soldiers and Citizens should know the law, and as long as there are those from other Nations that can legaly purchase and consume Cuban Cigars the stores are well within their rights to sell them.
Americans should not be buying them as it is against OUR laws. We also should not roll stop signs, or cook meth....it comes down to reward versus risk.

or at least that is my point of view on it.

Tim

I think he is there already and wants to smoke them there. Not bring them back, maybe wrong but that's how I read it.

Do you understand the concept of EMBARGO? or these : Trading with the Enemy? Cuban Democracy Act? Helms-Burton Act?

Rod...can we get a FACE PALM smiley?

Here ya go, Gary!!!
Picard.jpg

I understand your point Kann, but are the stores selling them US Stores or are they Foreign Nation Stores?
Location does not really factor into it, all US Soldiers and Citizens should know the law, and as long as there are those from other Nations that can legaly purchase and consume Cuban Cigars the stores are well within their rights to sell them.
Americans should not be buying them as it is against OUR laws. We also should not roll stop signs, or cook meth....it comes down to reward versus risk.

Tim

Grateful and IP, I cannot vouch for authenticity, personally, to be honest. I don't go in there very often, but next time I'm around there I will definitely ask their source. That is interesting about someone finding one on a mil installation from a supposed-legit source such as a foreign government facility.

MX, you are absolutely correct. The original point I was trying to make was that of the interests of Uncle Sam. You can't go half a day without having to acknowledge some sort of warning/briefing on POLICY, yet I have never, ever seen or heard anything briefed pertaining to this federal LAW. Every day I am reminded of the quiet hours policy here on base. Leadership makes sure that their people know to be quiet after 2200 so little babies and office workers can sleep peacefully. Ensuring compliance with a global-spanning federal law isn't too high on the "things to do today" list for those in charge, it appears. I'm not questioning whether it's right, wrong, or indifferent. Just a pertinent observation.

Tim

Grateful and IP, I cannot vouch for authenticity, personally, to be honest. I don't go in there very often, but next time I'm around there I will definitely ask their source. That is interesting about someone finding one on a mil installation from a supposed-legit source such as a foreign government facility.

MX, you are absolutely correct. The original point I was trying to make was that of the interests of Uncle Sam. You can't go half a day without having to acknowledge some sort of warning/briefing on POLICY, yet I have never, ever seen or heard anything briefed pertaining to this federal LAW. Every day I am reminded of the quiet hours policy here on base. Leadership makes sure that their people know to be quiet after 2200 so little babies and office workers can sleep peacefully. Ensuring compliance with a global-spanning federal law isn't too high on the "things to do today" list for those in charge, it appears. I'm not questioning whether it's right, wrong, or indifferent. Just a pertinent observation.

Yup!

:thumbs:

Chet...as an American traveling in any foreign country that trades with Cuba, it's illegal for that American citizen to buy & smoke a CC in that country.

Not unless something changed I don't know about.
This is correct, to the best of my knowledge.

Still Illegal. I actually read the law about 2 days ago. I have no idea what possessed me to do it.

Chet...as an American traveling in any foreign country that trades with Cuba, it's illegal for that American citizen to buy & smoke a CC in that country.

Not unless something changed I don't know about.
This is correct, to the best of my knowledge.

Still Illegal. I actually read the law about 2 days ago. I have no idea what possessed me to do it.

Might have something to do with that tat on your arm.....

Hook'em Horns

T

I'll pretend you didn't say that.

http://www.treasury.gov/resource-center/sanctions/Programs/pages/cuba.aspx

Has anyone seen the original poster? I think he left.
unsure.gif

Tim

So what you're saying is that the US military is no longer concerned about "trading with the enemy"?

Right there - amongst the .OFAC pdf's - is the answer!

"The question is often asked whether United States citizens
or permanent resident aliens of the United States may
legally purchase Cuban origin goods, including tobacco and
alcohol products, in a third country for personal use
outside the United States. The answer is no."

Thanks Jake!

Tim

So what you're saying is that the US military is no longer concerned about "trading with the enemy"?

I'd say it's more of a priority thing on bases in Iraq and Afghanistan. Plus, they are fake.

The Afghan bases are NATO and not US, so them being available there is not an issue. I think there's more of a possibility those in the Dutch, Canadian, etc. stores are real, but who knows for sure...