• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Buying used humidor?

aodfan

Hello,

I am wondering if it is a good idea to buy a used humidor or just buy new?  I am kind of weary of buying a used on ebay and what I should look for.  This being a new adventure, I don't really want to splurge a lot, if you know what I mean.

Thanks

Sure, if they have a good return policy...

Do the standard dollar test.
Look for warping in the cedar.
Look for any signs of mold.
Don't buy glasstops.

Honestly buying a used humidor is really no different than a new one. That is unless the person selling the humidor is doing so because of a seal issue or damage. Most of the time it's just because they decided to upgrade to something bigger (I'm guilty of this ...)

Like mavrick mentioned do the dollar test upon receiving the humidor, if you don't know what this is just take a dollar bill and put it halfway inside the lid. Close the lid on the dollar and see how hard it is to pull out, this test the seal to ensure you don't have any humidity leaks.

I wouldn't worry to much about buying a used humidor assuming you can return it if there are any problems. Good luck!

I would agree with the other comments here. Make sure they have a return policy and also do the prescribed tests of the seal. 

Unless I knew the person selling it, and/or had the opportunity to see it in person, I wouldn't.

I have a few used that I bought many years ago. They are fine, and in fact, better than several I got as gifts.

If you do not know the name brands to look out for, or what to visually look for in the photos, such as joinery, wall thickness (holds humidity better), telltale signs of cedar laminate vs solid cedar, Hardware and build features within a makers lines (for instance, the cheaper lines may have hidden leaf hinges while the better line has quadrant hinges), etc., then stick with someone who offers an ironclad return policy, and know that you have the time and energy to do the return. 

You be patient, and scan new listings everyday. You'll possibly find something nice, and probably save up to 75% if you know what you're doing. I paid $125 or so for a nice $500 humidor.

Humidors are so cheap these days, you mine as well buy new. 

Get a small cooler or Tupperware. Either will work far better than any of the Chinese made humidors out there.

Or, depending where you live heat wise, consider a wine cooler. Careful shopping is the key here. And if you already know you are serious about it, but larger than you currently think, because as someone made green apples, outgrowing is going to happen.

If you really want to start off with very little expense, go with a tupperware like mentioned above.  Very cheap and most likely better than cheap chinese humidors.

If heat is an issue, like Pugman stated, a wine cooler is an option, although it is a bit of an investment.

If heat is an issue and you can't afford a wineador, freezing the cigars (please read up on this) and using 65% beads/packs can offset some risks.