• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

CA names Montecristo No 2 top cigar of 2013

I really need to get my hands on a few of these. Its been too long, and I have a vacation coming up!! From what I recall, very enjoyable. :)

ironpeddler said:
While it's good to see such a legendary cigar achieve the #1 spot, it's still hard to believe anything that comes from CA. But still, to guys like me that have a long, fond past with that cigar, it's really cool to see it up there none the less. Reading what you younger guys occasionally write about them is like a blast from the past because you hardly hear about or see anyone smoking them for some time now.

Through the 60s, 70s, 80s, and early 90s, there weren't many better cigars out there that smoked as smoothly as a #2 right out of the box. They were known as a VERY consistent smoke and was the go-to cigar for a lot of guys...myself included. There were always crappy months or season here and there, but for the most part...you knew what you were getting when you opened the box. You didn't need to age them 6-8 years or any of that crap like is preached as the gospel today. You still aged some here and there, but for the most part you smoked them right out of the gate because they aged the tobacco for a longer period of time back then.

As the 90s moved along, they fell on some hard times 'consistently' wise and have only recently made a comeback of sorts. There were a few flashes of the old days here and there after 2002-2003, but you had to have someone hand pick you a good looking, pleasant smelling box in an attempt to get a solid smoke....to buy them blindly was like rolling the dice...and most of the time you lost.

I still have a few from a box from 2008 that is OK at best...but other than that one box, I stopped buying them about 20 years ago. In the early 90s, Bolivar's Belicosos Finos stole a good portion of the #2s business due to their lack of consistency.

Man, if I had a nickle for every box of those I smoked...loved those little belis back then...they were like eating candy! It's a very different cigar today...as are most CC anymore since they changed their seed selection and growing techniques....not to mention how often the crops were wiped out from hurricanes. You'd think they would have constructed sturdier aging barns to protect the tobacco harvests instead of the matchstick built ones they still have some of to this very day.  :rolleyes:

Nice post Gary, brought back memories for me as well...

I have boxes from 2006 to 2013, and the best by far are the latest batches from 2012 and 2013.

CigSid said:

While it's good to see such a legendary cigar achieve the #1 spot, it's still hard to believe anything that comes from CA. But still, to guys like me that have a long, fond past with that cigar, it's really cool to see it up there none the less. Reading what you younger guys occasionally write about them is like a blast from the past because you hardly hear about or see anyone smoking them for some time now.

Through the 60s, 70s, 80s, and early 90s, there weren't many better cigars out there that smoked as smoothly as a #2 right out of the box. They were known as a VERY consistent smoke and was the go-to cigar for a lot of guys...myself included. There were always crappy months or season here and there, but for the most part...you knew what you were getting when you opened the box. You didn't need to age them 6-8 years or any of that crap like is preached as the gospel today. You still aged some here and there, but for the most part you smoked them right out of the gate because they aged the tobacco for a longer period of time back then.

As the 90s moved along, they fell on some hard times 'consistently' wise and have only recently made a comeback of sorts. There were a few flashes of the old days here and there after 2002-2003, but you had to have someone hand pick you a good looking, pleasant smelling box in an attempt to get a solid smoke....to buy them blindly was like rolling the dice...and most of the time you lost.

I still have a few from a box from 2008 that is OK at best...but other than that one box, I stopped buying them about 20 years ago. In the early 90s, Bolivar's Belicosos Finos stole a good portion of the #2s business due to their lack of consistency.

Man, if I had a nickle for every box of those I smoked...loved those little belis back then...they were like eating candy! It's a very different cigar today...as are most CC anymore since they changed their seed selection and growing techniques....not to mention how often the crops were wiped out from hurricanes. You'd think they would have constructed sturdier aging barns to protect the tobacco harvests instead of the matchstick built ones they still have some of to this very day.  :rolleyes:

Nice post Gary, brought back memories for me as well...

I have boxes from 2006 to 2013, and the best by far are the latest batches from 2012 and 2013.

That's what I'm reading and hearing Bill. Now all it has to do is remain like that for.....EVER....and return that cigar to it's legendary status in CC folklore!

It's shameful that the powers that be in Cuba let that specific cigar slide in quality like that for so long. 

Thanks for sharing a cool story Bill!

I just enjoyed my last one of these with a friend a few weeks ago, time to re supply!

Like most have said, very consistent smoke. Never had one that was anything short of excellent. I have about 4 left from a box I bought in 2008. Time to restock !!!

A little late to this one.  But, I smoked a couple this summer and just finished up my last.

First ISOMs and I'm used to smoking flavorful cigars from the Domincan (my preferance) and thought it was an awesome stick.

I've been searching for something available domestic which matches the smooooooooth smoke those had and been unsuccessful.

So, I agree great cigar.  But, I'll still take a 1926 or 1964 over just about anything....

jsm11 said:
A little late to this one.  But, I smoked a couple this summer and just finished up my last.

First ISOMs and I'm used to smoking flavorful cigars from the Domincan (my preferance) and thought it was an awesome stick.

I've been searching for something available domestic which matches the smooooooooth smoke those had and been unsuccessful.

So, I agree great cigar.  But, I'll still take a 1926 or 1964 over just about anything....
Lol. Don't tkae this the wrong way, but I found it a little funny how you mention that your preference is for Dominicans, and you found the Cubans to be awesome, but you would rather be smoking Nicaraguans.

I was a fan of monte #2s back when I smoked, but I never felt like the ring gauge matched with my tastes. If only they hadn't canceled the Partagas Connoisseur series . . .

Mark Twain said:
I was a fan of monte #2s back when I smoked, but I never felt like the ring gauge matched with my tastes. If only they hadn't canceled the Partagas Connoisseur series . . .

Marc, It's nice that you still participate even though you no longer smoke. Thanks for sharing your knowledge and input! I'm adding the Partagas Connoisseur to my must try list.

Back