• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

CA Names Oliva Serie V Melanio Figurado its 2014 Cigar of the Year

mjolnir01

El Cañón de Latón
I'm not huge on Shanken's vanity mag, but I do enjoy the discussion we have here at Cigar Pass every year when the CA editors disembark their yachts with their custom Rolexes to tell us mere mortals what we should be smoking.

This year they named the Oliva Serie V Melanio Figurado as their best cigar of 2014.  I know it's not the best cigar I personally smoked in 2014, but I did think it was excellent.  Maybe the folks at CA are coming around; I think this is a worthy #1.

I also liked the Illusione Fume D'Amor Clementes at #3... always nice to see AGANORSA leaf do well, even though I seem to be in the minority in thinking the Fume D'Amors need a little more time.

Thoughts?

Not a bad stick at all IMO.... I enjoyed the couple that I've smoked..

Best cigar for me this year was a 2006 Cohiba which was graciously provided.

Best regular production cigar fo this year I think was the MC Slam by Illusione for me...

These are good cigars guys.  Obvioulsy we all know what comes along with the Top 25 each year, but this is no doubt a tasty cigar that I don't have a problem with being in the Top 10.  I figure the Top 10 is pretty much interchangable...if not the entire Top 25.

Brickhouse said:
These are good cigars guys.  Obvioulsy we all know what comes along with the Top 25 each year, but this is no doubt a tasty cigar that I don't have a problem with being in the Top 10.  I figure the Top 10 is pretty much interchangable...if not the entire Top 25.
Very well said, I think the list is quite interchangeable...

It is the pro football "hall of fame" debate. If I name a player and you have to think about it, he is not worthy. It is not the "hall of very good".

As for CA's top 25...

1. 25 is way too many to make the list. It should be five or ten. Hall of fame debate question again. Are we talking great smokes, or very good smokes?
2. Ask yourself the box split question. If I offered to do a box split with you for cigars #... Would you? If you answered no, they do not belong on the list.

I like reading the reviews. In my own personal experience, their numbering system is pretty good. i.e., if they rate a cigar at 90 or better, I have found them to be decent smokes. At least for about the first half, which doesn't suck. 

I agree. I have had a subscription for many years now and enjoy reading the reviews and rankings. JMO but I don't agree with the #1 cigar of the year very often.

I'm not sure how I feel about it as No. 1, but I do agree top 10.  Only reason I say this is that the couple I did have just didn't knock my socks off.  Perhaps I'll have to get a few more and revisit.

I know they can't name the same cigar #1 every year, but to me it's hard to not think that a Padron 80th, or something along those lines, aren't year after year, better than some of the things that make their top 10.   

I realize that wouldn't sell magazines, but still.....

Had the Oliva Serie V Melanio , think the Master Blends III is a better smoke IMHO.

Bought a box of the Oliva Serie V Melanio this summer. I would buy another box as it smoked well and had a nice little kick. Personally, I would put the Bolivar Belicoso Fino as my top for '14.