• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Cabinet Build

LOYD

I had to beat him with his own shoe!
Well I have started my build. Not gonna be trying to break any land speed records, want to get it right and enjoy the build. I will post pics as I go along. The final picture will be the completed Humi in my living room :D

Dimensions: Height=84 inches
Width=36 inches
Depth=24inches

The cabinet will be made of Oak and lined in 1/4" lauan. due to the price and unavailability in my area of Spanish Cedar.

I'm not working real fast, as I work shift work and have 2 kids that love to play. I will be plugging away at it and posting pictures of my progress. I drew a basic design using Word and got all my measurements figured out. So heres whats happening.....

Build overview:
buildoverview.jpg

getting the frame started!
build1.jpg

A brotha has to have a break!
buildbreak.jpg

Side view of frame. Good stopping point. Will hopefully get it closed in tomorrow if everything goes good.

build3.jpg

Was a bit of a slow go today. Had to get everything cut to size then cut my slots for joining the wood. The wait came while waiting for the glue to dry.

Will be alot of glue drying tomorrow too!

looking good man, cant wait to see it when your done, and that baby is filled

I have been thinking of building a smaller one myself. I am very interested in watching your progress.

Seth

OMG, I can't begin to tell you how similar that is to the drawing I did for mine! Very cool, keep the pics coming!

Looks like we have a lot of skilled wood workers on CP. The humi is looking really nice, can't wait to see the finished product. :thumbs:

Well, spent about 4 hours gluing and building today, and about 1 hour tearing it back down....lol

Today I was framing up the face, framing the drawer and adding the supports for hinges and drawer slide. After getting it all framed(dry fit, not glue) I started having second thoughts on a few things, lol should took a break then, but nooooooooooo. got the joints notched , glue in and clamped. Then I took a smoke break(xXx). Well ...long story short. The drawer was lower than I liked it, I'm a fairly tall fellow and didnt like the fact of having to bend over into my drawer, so I scraped it and raised it up. got to get a few more pieces to replace the face frame sides, but most will be reused in another location.

So we will back up and punt, hit her again tomorrow.

So, how long you reckon it's gonna take you to fill that baby up? :whistling:

Well, spent about 4 hours gluing and building today, and about 1 hour tearing it back down....lol

Today I was framing up the face, framing the drawer and adding the supports for hinges and drawer slide. After getting it all framed(dry fit, not glue) I started having second thoughts on a few things, lol should took a break then, but nooooooooooo. got the joints notched , glue in and clamped. Then I took a smoke break(xXx). Well ...long story short. The drawer was lower than I liked it, I'm a fairly tall fellow and didnt like the fact of having to bend over into my drawer, so I scraped it and raised it up. got to get a few more pieces to replace the face frame sides, but most will be reused in another location.

So we will back up and punt, hit her again tomorrow.

Make sure the drawer is toward the top or middle of your cabinet as RH tends to settle toward the bottom of the cabinet.

Also thinking about scraping the oak exterior and using aromatic cedar with a poly coat. If I go this route however it will take
considerably longer, I'll have to make the exterior walls out of 3" stock, lol thats a shit load of dowels,bisquits, and glue time. However I think it would be TIGHT....prolly will never happen though because I'm impatient as hell....lol

If I had four arms that would help tremendously too...lol

going to line the inside(between the cabinet and the lauan) with 1" foam insulation for the addition of a AC at a later time if I feel the urge, that way it will already be well insulated.

Later guys,
LOYD

Make sure the drawer is toward the top or middle of your cabinet as RH tends to settle toward the bottom of the cabinet.

Thanks for the tip! Hadn't really thought about that aspect. Originally it was going to be between the 26th and 36th in from the bottom. That however made me have to squat alot....lol....and I'm all about making this thing perfect for Derek!..lol

You having said that, I may actuall flip the design and put the big door at the bottom and the small up top. Would be killing two birds with one stone that way! Really wouldn't change anything that I'm planning other than placement of hings and slide supports, and UMMmmmm I already shit canned the original plan..lol

thats the difference between a half asser like me and a skilled person, i dont use no steenkin frame :)

Looks good

Great design for the cabinet. Can't wait to see the finished
product.

Got a question for some past cabinet builders.

Drawers...... what type of magnetic pulls did you guys use and how many? I found some 12kg pulls and I can put 2 on top and 2 on bottom of the drawer, to ensure a good seal, this may be overkill though! Would hate to close the drawer and need a come-a-long to get it back open...lol Thinking of making the drawer 18" deep, that will leave 3" on each side of the drawer and 6" in the rear for unobstructed air flow, will be mounting two fans in the space behind the drawer(1 so they will be hidden from view and 1 so I have something sturdy to mount them to. Thinking of mounting them on the edges of the cabinet, one blowing up and one blowing down.

Hinges, the hinges I am thinking of going with are Hinge Link will use two for each door on the bottom doors and two, possibly three on the top doors, to ensure a good seal.

Damm, I have to be a cabinet builder in my next life. You have hands of gold!! It is a pleasure to watch an artisan like you work!! :thumbs: