• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Cabinet humidor, cooled or not (heading for a frigador I think)

AKmik

Hello all,

I have been doing my homework on cabinet humidors for a few weeks now. I am still debating on building/buying a quality cabinet style humi. Sizewise like the Avallo 1000, or Aristocrat end table.

I am curious as to your thoughts on cooled or not, when is it really necessary to go with a cooled unit. I live in FL and the temp in the house is usually right around 73, unless the wife turns the AC to 75, but for the most part the temp is pretty stable with the max being 75.

Earlier I posted this question over on the CA board. I think if I need to go the cooled rout I may end up with a wine cooler that I will line with spanish cedar. I have been researching that set up as well, Uncle Sam just doesn't take care of me good enough for $2K worth of stogy storage just yet.

Thanks for any info.

Mike

My thoughts on temp control is that it's cheap insurance for storing thousands of dollars worth of cigars. Why risk damaging them to save a couple hundred bucks?

I splurged this year and have a THC cooled humidor on order from Bob Staebell.

We don't have central air conditioning in our home here in the Pacific Northwest as it doesn't get very hot save for a week or two in the summer. The big advantage here is that it almost always cools off at night, so with open windows and a strategic fan or two, it's usually very comfortable. I've been successful (so far) moving my cooler(s) around when it gets hot, finding a cool closet in the center of the house, but what a pain in the butt. Also, I wanted < one > place to store my cigars, not four.

I think the long and short of it is that if you don't have central air conditioning, or unless you live somewhere that never gets above 70F, a cooled humidor is something you have to consider. Like CalixEros said, it feels like relatively inexpensive insurance for your collection.

Regards - B.B.S.

I finally purchased a THC unit from Bob Staebell. I have a situation very similar to BBS. However, although we do have AC, I don't keep the house at 70 during the summer months when the outside temps may be in the mid to high 90's, it just is not practical. A temperature controlled humidor solves that problem for me.

I worked with Bob to develop a phased in approach. I ordered an end table that should hold all of my loose sticks and a few of the boxes. The end table will eventually sit on a custom platform with shelves for additional box storage, and an additional unit similar to the mini will sit on top of the cabinet to accommodate additional storage. I opted for this approach because of the versatility for expansion and the phased approach fits my budget. All of the modules will have individual temperature and humidity control. For the time being, I will still keep the boxes designated for long term storage in my cool-r-dor in the basement until the additional unit(s) are purchased.

Good luck with your decision.

Doug

Thank you guys, You are definitely right there, the more I think about it the more I know I need a cooled unit, especially living down here, and ofcourse the wife is always cold. So the temp is up when she is home.

Although I can not unass $2k for a cooled unit, I will be starting the project very soon. Right now I am planning on a frigador. A converted wine cooler is more in my budget. I figure I can make one under about $500 or so.

The quest for info is on, I am in the middle of reading old posts on the topic and am finding some great info. I also edited the title of the post, hopefully someone who knows how to do this will chime in.

I also found Frigador

This looks exactly like what I am looking for, Now I just need to get in touch with this guy.

If anyone has any frigador info or tips that would be great.

Thanks again

Mike

Vinotemp from Target for $200. it's a 28 bottle cooler.
All I have in there is a poundandahalf of beads at the bottom and 2 Oust fans. that's it.
however, I am already out of space and I am starting to build a large cabinet cooled humidor for myself. time for my garage woodshop to pay off.

77403376.pjiunLKl._LAX4965copy.jpg

and here the link to the rest of my cigar site

Visit My Website

I am however ordering my cooling/humidity system from avallo or aristocrat cabinets.

Thank you guys, You are definitely right there, the more I think about it the more I know I need a cooled unit, especially living down here, and ofcourse the wife is always cold. So the temp is up when she is home.

Although I can not unass $2k for a cooled unit, I will be starting the project very soon. Right now I am planning on a frigador. A converted wine cooler is more in my budget. I figure I can make one under about $500 or so.

The quest for info is on, I am in the middle of reading old posts on the topic and am finding some great info. I also edited the title of the post, hopefully someone who knows how to do this will chime in.

I also found Frigador

This looks exactly like what I am looking for, Now I just need to get in touch with this guy.

Thanks again

Mike

Mike,
If you go with a frigador or wine coolidor make sure it has a Peltier cooling device.
A traditional compressor will draw humidity out of the frigador.
I have a compressor type and wish it was a Peltier.
But I got my fridges for free...
So it is what it is!
I have had some condensation issues but have resolved it by not overly hydrating my beads.
Good luck!

frigador2.jpg

Imagine these chock full... :whistling:

-Rob

One step closer.

Rob
I did a ton of reading and I am with you. Thermoelectric is definately where I am going with this project. I have an Avanti wine cooler being delivered tommorow. I got a pretty good deal.

I will post some in progress pics sometime next week.

I have the cooler,a pile of spanish cedar, a couple fans, and a pound of heartfelt beads on the way. My wife is about to have a baby any day now so hopefully I will be able to get this project up and running soon. But right now all my supplies are heading my way and I am still working on design and set up plans. I have found a ton of great info on this forum,cigar weekly, CA and botl. I think I have read every frigidor post that is on the internet. My eyes are strained from all the reading, but definitely some great info floating around.

Thanks for the help guys.

I will be posting the build soon.

see ya

Mike

I also found Frigador

Thanks again

Mike

Mike,
If you go with a frigador or wine coolidor make sure it has a Peltier cooling device.
A traditional compressor will draw humidity out of the frigador.
I have a compressor type and wish it was a Peltier.
But I got my fridges for free...
So it is what it is!
I have had some condensation issues but have resolved it by not overly hydrating my beads.
Good luck!

frigador2.jpg

Imagine these chock full... :whistling:

-Rob

Wow those are amazing!!!! Wish i had freakin red bull fridges to hold my cigars! :thumbs:

What is the best place to get a Thermo Electric Cooling unit for my cabinet humidor?? I am thinking of getting one too. Thanks!

If you are just looking for the peltier cooler you will have to do a search, but a real interesting page I found was here Very cool

This guy has a killer project in the works. I thought about going that route myself but I do not have the time available. The wine cooler will work great for me. I can not see paying 2k for a cooled cabinet, I would definitely be building one for that money.

I have been searching for thermoelectric wine coolers , but if you google thermoelectric you will find a pile of info.

The link above is what I would consider the ultimate humidor, I will build something like that one some day. But for now I am lining my wine cooler.