• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Cakebread, stagg's leap or heitz.

carddoug

Banned
I'd like to try one of these maker's Cabernet. My local place has cakebread, heitz and stagg's leap as their higher end bottles. Cakebread being the most pricey at 82$, heitz at 52$ and stagg is I believer 60-70$ thoughts??? :)

I've only had the Stag's Leap Artemis and for the $55 it cost (with tax) I wold have rather bought a bottle of scotch. However, the wife liked it and it was decent but not that great IMO.

I've never tried Heitz but IMHO Cakebread is overpriced and over-rated. Of the choices, I'd go with the Stag's Leap. OR if you can find a Cab by Silver Oak in the $60-$80 range, go there. They make an excellent Cab from their Alexander Valley vineyards.

There are so many decent more reasonably priced bottles out there.....but of the 3 I would go with Heitz.

See if you can find a bottle of Clark Claudon, not sure what kind of shops are in your area....but heitz may be your best option.

I'd have to go Cakebread. The Heitz and then Stags Leap. All are good, but Cakebread I think is noticeably better.

I went with the Heitz! And it was awesome! I believe they have a bottle of silver oak too! I'm getting a bottle of something for my birthday coming up in two weeks or so.... Cakebread or silver oak may be in my future.... Still very curious about the stags leap too

I went with the Heitz! And it was awesome! I believe they have a bottle of silver oak too! I'm getting a bottle of something for my birthday coming up in two weeks or so.... Cakebread or silver oak may be in my future.... Still very curious about the stags leap too

If you go with the Silver Oak, make sure it's either the Napa or the Reserve.

Although white wine was not mentioned, I would feel remiss if I failed to point out that Cakebread Reserve Chardonnay is the finest wine made by that label if you can get it. I'm a red wine drinker almost exclusively and I would reach for CRC before anything being mentioned here. Cakebread also has some top notch Syrah and Pinots as well (particularly with some cellaring). I've been through a couple of cases of their Cabernet Sauvignon over the years, and while it is quite good, I can't exactly recommend it at the prices it fetches nowadays. There are better values out there.

Stag's Leap Artemis is a good wine if somewhat overpriced. Silver Oak is a bit better but still pretty pricey to me. In that price range I've preferred Artesa Cab much more and it's cheaper than either of the above. I don't think you'll regret drinking anything you've mentioned (I haven't had Heitz). Of course, tastes are all individual.