• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Calif. Cigar Prices - Help me Understand

SD_Stack

Former J.R. 1am Monitor
As most of you know, I reside in the great no-tobacco-tax state of NC. Cigars are ultra cheap here and everything is MSRP including PAMs, Opus', etc. And... everything is available to me almost all the time at one of the half-dozen fine cigar stores within 20-30 minutes of me. As Dixie will attest, we are in a land for smokers of fine cigars. God is smiling down on us.

I have been introduced to a certain Cigar Club in the Great State of Californ-eye-aye! This is a club mind you that has "members" but is not a ultra high class joint like you see in the magazines. Just a regular place to hang out and smoke fine cigars. Very friendly and customer driven.

I have a list of a few of the sticks offered and there prices. They are really high compared to what I am used to. I have also listed the "in-store" Per stick prices that I pay at my favorite store here. In Red. This is coming directly off of their price list. Again, I can walk right in off the street (shoes and shirt on or off! :p ) and buy a single cigar at these prices.

You on the "Left" coast weigh in... or even New York may have the same thing. I don't know. I am just interested in seeing if some of you actually have to pay this kinds of prices for your cigars.

CAO Cameroon Belicoso $11.70 7.50
Excalibur Merlin $ 12.50 4.75
La Gloria Cubana Series R No. 4 $8.98 4.75
La Gloria Cubana Series R No. 5 $9.66 5.25
AF Curly head $ 4.50 :0 1.60
AF Short Story $ 11.75 4.35
AF Classic $18.75 6.95
Montesino Belicoso # 2 $ 15.50 6.25 I bought a box of these from JRs for $4 each. ???
Punch Punch $9.75 3.70
Partagas # 1 $ 12.00 5.55

I still cannot believe the prices I am seeing here. What about it? ??? Am I in the minority where cigar prices are concerned?

SD STACK,

I live in Moreno Valley (as I told you in Las Vegas). I'm about 60 miles east of LA. My area is called the Inland Empire (Bigger cities are Riverside, San Bernardino, Pomona, Corona, etc.......). Basic middle class urban sprawl.

We have 0 cigar stores in Moreno Valley. Sme dirtbag cigerette stores with a token Macanudo or something, but not a real stogie store to be found. The closest place to buy good smokes is a gift shop at the Mission Inn in Riverside. That's where I used to buy my LGC's. Wavells were $189 a box, and Serie R #5' $212. Since talking to you in Las Vegas, I realized how bad I was getting bent over. Now, the rest of you don't laugh. I've seen the light. Now, all of my purchases are on the net.

There is a cigar store in the Ontario Mills Mall, but, even their prices are high (Space rent is outrageous, but the yuppies flock their because of the Mall itself).

So those prices don't look too out of wack from what I am used to. But, I'll call you when I need a box. I'll send cash for the smokes and shipping, you can take two or three out for your trouble, and send me the rest. How's that sound.

I used to smoke only bundles and those cigar.com rejects. Good smokes, but after joining here, I realized you can smoke some quality sticks for a hell of a lot cheaper than a shop here.

Moki got me some OPUS X Robustos for around $15 each. I thought that was high for a smoke, but I'd never had an OPUS X before. My brother in-law buys OPUS X all of the time. If he's not buying a box, he's paying $20-25 each! And after having my first one, $15 bucks seems fairly reasonable.

We talked about houses too, remember? The appraisal came in on our rental (refinancing it again). A **** box 3 BR 2 Bath (on a corner w/ a pool, 1/8 acre lot) in an OK part of town..........$285,000! I can only imagine what mine is worth now! The neighbor is selling for $700,000 and has 4 people bidding. As of tonight, he's got a firm offer for $745,000. And I've got 1 more acre and 1700 more sq ft!

California is expensive. No doubt about it. And it is only getting worse. The wife and I are seriously considering selling it all and moving. That's a lot of jack just sitting there. And we could live in a nice place with land, have no house payment, a nest egg in the bank, and just live on the local economy. Food for thought.

M. Gipson :D

gawntrail said:
Moki got me some OPUS X Robustos for around $15 each. I thought that was high for a smoke, but I'd never had an OPUS X before. My brother in-law buys OPUS X all of the time. If he's not buying a box, he's paying $20-25 each! And after having my first one, $15 bucks seems fairly reasonable.
OX Robustos are 10.50 here plus 7.5% sales tax.

I will pick up a box of something you want. Only because we have met. Let me know if I can help. ;)

SD_Stack said:
I will pick up a box of something you want. Only because we have met. Let me know if I can help. ;)
Why thank you brother!

After I recover form the motorhome debacle, I'll take you up on that.

M. Gipson :)

Ack... you made me look up the Wisconsin tobacco tax... a whopping 25% of MSRP. :angry:

gawntrail said:
We talked about houses too, remember? The appraisal came in on our rental (refinancing it again). A **** box 3 BR 2 Bath (on a corner w/ a pool, 1/8 acre lot) in an OK part of town..........$285,000! I can only imagine what mine is worth now! The neighbor is selling for $700,000 and has 4 people bidding. As of tonight, he's got a firm offer for $745,000. And I've got 1 more acre and 1700 more sq ft!
I live in a town where a cheaply constructed, 20-year old townhouse of about 2100 sq feet goes for about $300gs. 3 br, 2 1/2 baths.

No pool, back yard extends about 10ft from the house, front yard about 12.

How's that for inflated property prices?

Kryo said:
Ack... you made me look up the Wisconsin tobacco tax... a whopping 25% of MSRP. :angry:
nice, another WI Bro!
:thumbs:
dude, when I am back in MIlwaukee this summer, we'll have to meet up.

Yeah, the 25% does suck,
but in Milw., you can usually find any domestic you want
[save anejos and Drew Estates Pimp Stick, can never find either.]

I find the best prices are from the big internet sellers. Keeping in the tradition of supporting my local shop(s), I'll buy the "hard to get" ones (VSG's, PAM's Opus, etc.) from them when they have them.

hmmmm paid 24k for my condo 5 yrs ago now there going for 99/125k and riseing
as for tobbaconists I got about a dozen within a 20 mile radius as for prices Im gonna have to do some comparison but living in a tax free state does have its advantages :D

CAO Cameroon Belicoso $11.70 7.50 > Lanniversarie 8.90* > 8.10#
Excalibur Merlin $ 12.50 4.75 > 4.89* >
La Gloria Cubana Series R No. 4 $8.98 4.75 > 4.99* >4.50#
La Gloria Cubana Series R No. 5 $9.66 5.25 > 5.39* >5.25#
AF Curly head $ 4.50 1.60 > 1.99* > 1.60#
AF Short Story $ 11.75 4.35*
AF Classic $18.75 6.95 >
Montesino Belicoso # 2 $ 15.50 6.25 I bought a box of these from JRs for $4 each. > 5.99*
Punch Punch $9.75 3.70 > 3.99*
Partagas # 1 $ 12.00 5.55 > 5.89* > 5.55#

* = http://www.2guyssmokeshop.com/index.asp , one of the more expensive shops in my area

# = http://www.federalcigar.com/shop/index.php , another one of the more expensive shops

unfortunately the better shops around here dont have web sights up or are in construction
better meaning cheaper prices lol

im in marin county...a tear down goes for a mil. i frequent one tobacconist and have stopped buying singles because i got a locker there. this is MY way of feeling better for hanging out in there. i cant even understand how these guys can stay afloat here given the proliferation of internet cigar vendors. but the way i see it my guy provides a valuable service by having a great place to smoke (lounge, etc). this guy has a very good business, only because he has EVERYTING and really takes care of his customers. we have had the discussion several times about buying on the internet and the fact that the state government should, legally, be able to collect the sin taxes even though the smokes are bought out of state....this is a CONSUMPTION tax!

don't be surprised if one day the state govs wake up and demand the online retailers to collect their end...i hope it never happens, but states don't like losing revenues.

in the meantime i really have to have alot of admiration for these retailers that can compete given the unlevel playingfields.

barney

Guess it's just expensive everywhere !

I fear that my kids (17, 14, 8, & 4) will NEVER be able to afford their own houses :(

M. Gipson

Ya got nothin' on the Old Dominion there Stacky. Not only are our cigars not taxed... we can read AND the ****ter's in the house.

NA

SamClemmons said:
Ya got nothin' on the Old Dominion there Stacky. Not only are our cigars not taxed... we can read AND the ****ter's in the house.

NA
:sign:

Good to see ya Neil!

I fear that my kids (17, 14, 8, & 4) will NEVER be able to afford their own houses

M. Gipson

what do ya think ya save your cigar boxes for, recycle em into cedar shingles and let the kids build there own house

SD_Stack said:
As Dixie will attest, we are in a land for smokers of fine cigars. God is smiling down on us.
Hell, I have a yuppie grocerey store within walking distance that has a huge sponsored (Tinder Box Cigars) high-cabinet. I can pic up Parts, Cohibas, Macs, Montes, Sanchos, RyJs, and H. Ups with my cottage cheese and rye. It has about a 10% markup over the in-store Tinder Box prices, but if I have a hankering for an RyJ Reseve Real ay 4am, I'm good to go.

And actually, most of the Tinder Boxes have a 10% discount from MSRP on the standard stuff. The two shops I frequent (I have about 7 shops/in-store cabinets to get them within 10 minutes of my house) usually have 1926's and always have 1964's and VSG's in stock and at MSRP. :D

Cheers,
Dixie (a lucky a$$ bastard like Stack :p)

dixieland_conjunction said:
usually have 1926's and always have 1964's and VSG's in stock and at MSRP. :D
I didn't know they had the high end stuff in the cabinets~ :0

SD_Stack said:
dixieland_conjunction said:
usually have 1926's and always have 1964's and VSG's in stock and at MSRP. :D
I didn't know they had the high end stuff in the cabinets~ :0
Sorry, I wan't clear. I meant I had 7 places I could buy cigars. But, the 2 shops I fruquent (SouthPark TB and Mccraines Pipe) have the high-end stuff in stock.

I didn't meant to make you cream your jeans. :p

Cheers,
Dixie

California is off the chart when it comes to cost of living. Median house price $385,000 and climbing. In San Diego an affordable 1 bedroom apt will start at $750 a month. GET ME OUT OF HERE!!!! :0