• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

calif tax and fine on internet cigar purchases 2010

braido

If you buy cigars on line you may be in for a big and expensive surprise. I got mine last week 2/03/10 . I received a letter from California state board of equalization informing me that they had obtained information that I had purchased/received delivery of untaxed tobacco products from an out of state Internet supplier .
The info is correct I did buy the cigars, but here comes the surprise I own $1935.00 in taxes and penalties to the State of California and I have 30 days to comply or I will be turned over for collection. The State Of California can and will apply this tax for purchases over a eight year period.
So buyer beware if you buy on line, In my case from Moms cigars / aka / House of Oxford in Somerset N.J. you could be next. Apparently but not substantiated they have given the state all there California customer purchase information .

If you buy cigars on line you may be in for a big and expensive surprise. I got mine last week 2/03/10 . I received a letter from California state board of equalization informing me that they had obtained information that I had purchased/received delivery of untaxed tobacco products from an out of state Internet supplier .
The info is correct I did buy the cigars, but here comes the surprise I own $1935.00 in taxes and penalties to the State of California and I have 30 days to comply or I will be turned over for collection. The State Of California can and will apply this tax for purchases over a eight year period.
So buyer beware if you buy on line, In my case from Moms cigars / aka / House of Oxford in Somerset N.J. you could be next. Apparently but not substantiated they have given the state all there California customer purchase information .

Yes..it's called STATE TAX.

Any out of state purchases have them.

Do a search on here, it's been discussed.

Gary, I don't care for your tone here. Sure it's been discussed, but never in the Completed Cigar Passes forum. This guy is a pioneer and as such, deserves your respect. :p

How much cigars do you have to buy on line to rack up $1935 in unpaid taxes?

It was for purchases from Jan 2006 through Aug 2008 but according to the letter I received from the BOE they can collect for a total of 8 years of purchases Glad I stopped buying from online vendors in 08

That depends on the state that's doing the taxing.

As with ANY item purchased mail order/online/etc, most state require YOU to pay the tax.
Now some sites will include your state tax - as they then fork it over to the governement.

Again, this has been discussed at length...with circles and arrows and a parargraph....oh wait, wraong forum!

Just curious, were all of these purchases made from House of Oxford? Were these purchases made with intent to resell for a profit? Just wondering because I could be mistaken but I believe House of Oxford is a wholesale distributor.

It was for purchases from Jan 2006 through Aug 2008 but according to the letter I received from the BOE they can collect for a total of 8 years of purchases Glad I stopped buying from online vendors in 08

If you plan on staying here at CP please post an intro in the introduce yourself forum and please adhere to correct grammar as it's a rule here. Thanks!

Look at it this way, your tax money will be spent on good causes, I'm sure. :rolleyes: The joys of living on the Left Coast!

Floyd T.