• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Calling all English and Humanities majors

Devil Doc

When Death smiles, Corpsmen smile back
After diligent searches, I have found that every compliment to a cigar, except one, has been discussed ad nauseum. That is of course , literature. For me, nothing compliments a good cigar like a good book. I have been a voracious reader since I learned how. I am presently re-reading Moby Dick for the sixth time. This novel , by Melville, is by far the finest piece of American literature ever written. On the surface it’s a great sea story. Delve a bit deeper, and the symbolism, biblical references, and metaphor can be a lifetime pursuit of interpretation.

I’m also fond of the great Bard. Henry the V being my favorite. What career service man could not relate to the speech given by Henry prior to the battle of Agincourt. Every Veterans day I’m reminded of St. Crispin’s day and the camaraderie that the great King speaks of.

So, What’s your favorite novel? And why?

Doc.

The last novel I read was Haunted by Chuck Palahniuk. The book dwells in the phyche of how people react in total contrast to his or her beliefs when put in a situation where the most basic human necessities are taken away. The book is graphic at times, with reported attendees of public readings passing out! Some part of the book are troublesome, but you have to read it for yourself.
On a sidenote, I enjoy smoking a nice cigar while reading one of my favorite smoking magazines, or a cigar retailer catalog.

Right now I'm half way through Anderson Cooper's new book.
This is an amazing guy, well written and interesting.

Favorite Novel - mmmm, that's not easy, there are numerous
that come to mind, don't think there is one I can call a favorite.

Brian

One of my favorites is the most non-mathematical reading math and logic books ever written. The Rev. Charles Lutwidge Dodgson outdid himself with Alice in Wonderland and Through the Looking Glass. If you're a logic fan this is one of the best.

I read about 1/4 of Larry Niven's Children of Ringworld over my lunch hour while smoking a Tampa Sweetheart. I never was much for the classics besides what college forced me to sample.

After being a Biochemistry major for several years, I decided to go back to what I truly enjoy, Literature. I'd rather have low pay and enjoy my job than having a job I hate with a passion. I'm currently studying off and on the 12th to 17th Century Literature. So its hard to narrow it down to just one work since there is so many that was written thats just absoulutely amazing. With that said, I narrowed it down to my 2 favorite choices. The Canterbury Tales by Chaucer. But I cant stand the standard american version of it.

Second all time favorite is Paradise Lost by john Milton. He wrote that when he was blind and that is a serious accomplishment indeed. :thumbs:

But like I said, there is so many more that people never hear about so I wont waste my time to list some of them.

My favorite novel to re-read is The Lord of the Rings. I have read it and The Hobbit every fall for the past four years. Last year I added The Silmarillion to my "Middle Earth block". I am debating starting on The Hobbit a little early this year, but I am afraid when fall gets here I won't know what to do with myself. ??? Outside of Tolkien I find George Orwell's novels to be very good reads especially 1984 and Keep the Aspidistra Flying. Usually though I lean toward non-fiction historical books.

I agree with Doc, a nice book and a good cigar go perfectly together. :thumbs:

Nick

The complete library of Kurt Vonnegut

Still Life With Woodpecker by Tom Robbins and then anything else he has written.
Sometimes a Great Notion by Ken Kesey :laugh: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Cannery Row by John Steinbeck and all of his novellas.

Desolation Angels by Jack Kerouac

Then just to bring it down a level, any fantasy combination of
song/spell/sword/sorcery/magic/mayhem/wizard/warrior/warlock/dwarf/druid ETC.

Moby Dick is one of my favorites, too.

Picking a favorite book would be like picking a favorite movie, cigar, child. How could one choose just one?

I agree, Doc, literature is a great complement to a good smoke, and the following piece of literature is a great compliment to smoking. I wonder if you recognize it?

“I don’t understand how someone can not be a smoker—why it’s like robbing oneself of the best part of life, so to speak, or at least of an absolutely first-rate pleasure. When I wake up I look forward to being able to smoke all day, and when I eat, I look forward to it again, in fact I can honestly say that I actually only eat so that I can smoke, although that’s an exaggeration, of course. But a day without tobacco—that would be absolutely insipid, a dull, totally wasted day. And if some morning I had to tell myself: there’s nothing left to smoke today, why I don’t think I’d find courage to get up, I swear I’d stay in bed. You see, if a man has a cigar that burns well—and obviously it can’t have any breaks or draw badly, that’s really terribly annoying—what I’m saying is, that if a man has a good cigar, then he’s home safe, nothing, literally nothing, can happen to him. It’s the same as when you’re lying on the beach, because there you lie on the beach, you know? and you don’t need anything else—no work, no other amusements. Thank God, people smoke all over the world, there’s nowhere you could possibly end up, as far as I know, where tobacco’s unknown. Even polar explorers lay in a good supply of smokes to get them over their hardships—that’s always struck a sympathetic chord in me whenever I’ve read about it. Because things can go very badly—let’s assume, for instance, that things would go miserably for me—but as long as I had my cigar, I’d carry on, that much I know, it could bring me through anything.”​

I am 2/3 of the way through La Divina Commedia.

Inferno was translated by Poet Laureate Robert Pinsky. I am not capable of judging how true he remained to the original work, however this is one of the best works I have ever read. In my research of what translation to select, I was disappointed with the archaic, dry writing of Ciardi and others.
http://search.barnesandnoble.com/booksearc...24521&itm=1

Purgatorio, translated by the gifted W.S. Merwin seemed to pick up right where Pinsky left off, another fluid translation. I believe he may even have received praise for the work from Pinsky right on the jacket.
http://search.barnesandnoble.com/booksearc...XT=Y&itm=20

Both of these translations featured the original text on the opposing page and extensive notes organized in the back of the book. An enjoyable read for both the exceptional writing and historical context. Sadly, I have not found a copy of Paradiso I would consider up to par. If I do I find it, I will be sure to finish the comedy with a cigar in mouth.

Moby Dick is one of my favorites, too.

Picking a favorite book would be like picking a favorite movie, cigar, child. How could one choose just one?

I agree, Doc, literature is a great complement to a good smoke, and the following piece of literature is a great compliment to smoking. I wonder if you recognize it?

“I don’t understand how someone can not be a smoker—why it’s like robbing oneself of the best part of life, so to speak, or at least of an absolutely first-rate pleasure. When I wake up I look forward to being able to smoke all day, and when I eat, I look forward to it again, in fact I can honestly say that I actually only eat so that I can smoke, although that’s an exaggeration, of course. But a day without tobacco—that would be absolutely insipid, a dull, totally wasted day. And if some morning I had to tell myself: there’s nothing left to smoke today, why I don’t think I’d find courage to get up, I swear I’d stay in bed. You see, if a man has a cigar that burns well—and obviously it can’t have any breaks or draw badly, that’s really terribly annoying—what I’m saying is, that if a man has a good cigar, then he’s home safe, nothing, literally nothing, can happen to him. It’s the same as when you’re lying on the beach, because there you lie on the beach, you know? and you don’t need anything else—no work, no other amusements. Thank God, people smoke all over the world, there’s nowhere you could possibly end up, as far as I know, where tobacco’s unknown. Even polar explorers lay in a good supply of smokes to get them over their hardships—that’s always struck a sympathetic chord in me whenever I’ve read about it. Because things can go very badly—let’s assume, for instance, that things would go miserably for me—but as long as I had my cigar, I’d carry on, that much I know, it could bring me through anything.”​

Thomas Mann, The Magic Mountain

Brian

Depends on the brain I'm using that day.

Happy Brain: Tolkien
Sad Brain: Gravity's Rainbow
Smart Brain: The Dancing wu-li masters
COunter-culture Brain: ANything by Robert Anton Wilson

Depends on the brain I'm using that day.

Happy Brain: Tolkien
Sad Brain: Gravity's Rainbow
Smart Brain: The Dancing wu-li masters
COunter-culture Brain: ANything by Robert Anton Wilson

Then there's the - she's away for 3 days brain: Anything by Hugh Hefner!

Im reading Ken Follett right now.
Finished Hornet Flight and The Man from St. Petersburg.
So far I like him.

My cigar reading book is D-Day by Ambrose.
Amazing book !

this one had me stumped for a while, because i like and reread so many books. but my favorite is probably time enough for love by robert heinlein. but recently i also have been reading a lot of john ringo and the song of ice and fire series by george rr martin. that stuff is fascinating! i have never read anything with as many plot twists and unexpected developments.