• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Calling All Geeks

Did I win one? :sign:

This thing is AWESOME. The applications for these screens, as somewhat demonstrated in the article, are exciting. Now to wait 10 years before they're affordable. :laugh:

Yeah, I want one, have since Will Wheaton did a promo online about a year ago, goooood stuff.. still way too expensive right now tho

I suspect in three or so years the consumer market will make them available.

What applications would this be used for? Who the hell needs a flexible screen?

The biggest applications when it was first introduced 3+ years ago, during an Investors conference in Great Britain, were to be cell phone screens, iPods screens, PDA screens, etc....small stuff. It was billed as a more rugged/inexpensive replacement to the present screens being used...but that proved to be a bit of a stretch. If memory serves correctly, the screen was actually more fragile and the protector that sandwiched it was paramount to it's working correctly. I think that hampered the touch screen applications back then. But once this was worked out, it was supposed to withstand occasional drops and issues like that. Then as the technology progressed and the clarity proved to be better as the screens got bigger, the TV applications were mentioned.

What struck me as puzzling at the rollout was that the potential investors weren't throwing money at it like I thought would happen (if you believed the inventor's claims)...I guess too many got burnt in previous IPOs. Then I heard, when it wasn't able to be privately funded to continue the research, they sold the partial rights to some major Mfgs of electronics....Sanyo, Sony, Panasonic. So many names were thrown out there, it was hard to discern what was true and what wasn't.

Makes me think of Minority Report. Newpapers are dead. Long love Flexable screens! :laugh: