• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Calling all Idahoans!

Blue Dragon

Can't Re-Member
Call you representative to vote in favor of HB693!!!

http://www.rtda.org/legislation.html

House Bill 693 will put a cap on cigar tax for Idaho to a maximum of $.50 per cigar. Right now, tobacco tax is 40% in ID. So today a $10 cigar will cost $14; if this bill passes a $10 cigar will only cost $10.50.

This bill was proposed by the proprietor of Sturman's Smoke Shop. It has already passed the Idaho state legislature House of Representatives and is currently up for review in the state Senate.

Call 208-332-1000 and tell your representative you are in favor of passing HB693! They will take down your name and address and pass on your opinion.

Thanks for your support!
- C

Cory, I called but the phone just rang and rang. I'll try again later in the day. That is important stuff, right there!

Cory, I called but the phone just rang and rang. I'll try again later in the day. That is important stuff, right there!
Yea, it is the govt, so I am sure they don't open until at least 8am. I would give it until 8:30 to make sure her brain is in full gear. :p

What is funny is the little flyer handed out at Sturmans listed the phone number incorrectly as 322-1000 and I got an answering machine with some lady preaching god to me. I really wanted to leave a message about the cigar tax, but didn't want it to backfire either.

My understanding is that even if it does pass, it won't go into effect until June or July. But that is still better than never. :thumbs:

Thanks Steve,
- C

I just realized that you can do this online also. :cool:

go to: http://www.rtda.org/legislation.html
> view specific bills for your state
> scroll down to your state and select the bill
> enter in your zip code
> email your representative with your response to the bill

So, this will work for all the states that currently have tobacco legislation on the floor. There are some scary bills out there: NJ to increase cigarillo tax to 150% .. smoking bans all over the place .. So, let your voice be heard CPers!

:thumbs:
- C

Just got this back:

Thank you for your email. This legislation passed the House yesterday. And I did vote for it.
Sincerely, Rep. Kathie Garrett

>>> <jec76@hotmail.com> 03/16/06 8:25 AM >>>

To The Honorable Representative Kathie Garrett:

A web-based comment was submitted by:

Name: Jeremy Canning

Email Address: jec76@hotmail.com

Concerning: HB693

With the following comments:

March 16, 2006

The Honorable Kathie Garrett
PO Box 83720
Boise, ID 83720-0038

Dear Representative Garrett:

Support this bill!! 40% tax on cigars is outrageous and needs to be
removed! This industry would increase here in Idaho if this tax was more
in line with typical sales tax. Please don't miss this opportunity.

Sincerely,

Jeremy Canning

So..maybe it's still alive?

HB693, approved 13-4 Monday by the House Revenue and Taxation Committee and backed by Rep. Jim Clark, R-Hayden Lake, sets the tax on premium cigars at 50 cents each. The tax now is 40 percent of the wholesale price.
link

HB693, approved 13-4 Monday by the House Revenue and Taxation Committee and backed by Rep. Jim Clark, R-Hayden Lake, sets the tax on premium cigars at 50 cents each. The tax now is 40 percent of the wholesale price.
link
Yes, this bill passed the House of Representatives last Monday. It is going to the Senate next. My understanding is that it is one of the bills currently on the floor. As of last night, it did not fail at the Senate. I just called to get a status and couldn't get a solid answer; the secretary, who will apparently know the current status, is still out to lunch.

That message from the rtda homepage is discouraging though. I'm really hoping it is inaccurate. I'll post here when I hear for sure.

Thanks,
- C

**Edit to note**

I just found this:
http://www3.state.id.us/oasis/H0693.html

That link will tell the official status. If it got shot down today, we won't know until they update the link tonight or at the latest tomorrow morning. Let's hope that the rtda jumped the gun and got some info incorrect. :thumbs:

**Edit #2**
http://www.legislature.idaho.gov/sessioninfo/scal.htm

That shows the calendar of events for today and HB693 doesn't look like it is on the docket.

Yes unfortunately, it did fail committee. This news first came from the lobbyists and then through the newswire. It may take a few days for the state to update their site. This is one instance I wish I were incorrect.

Chris McCalla

RTDA Legislative Director

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sent: Friday, March 17, 2006 8:58 AM
To: Chris McCalla; Mandy Cross
Subject: FW: Idaho HB693 - defeated?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sent: Thursday, March 16, 2006 6:59 PM
To: Info
Subject: Idaho HB693 - defeated?
<snip>

DAMNIT!!!

I heard on the radio this morning that the State is using the revenue from tobacco taxes to fund the upcoming expansion of the Statehouse. As soon as I heard that, I knew it was a lost cause.

Call you representative to vote in favor of HB693!!!

http://www.rtda.org/legislation.html

House Bill 693 will put a cap on cigar tax for Idaho to a maximum of $.50 per cigar. Right now, tobacco tax is 40% in ID. So today a $10 cigar will cost $14; if this bill passes a $10 cigar will only cost $10.50.

This bill was proposed by the proprietor of Sturman's Smoke Shop. It has already passed the Idaho state legislature House of Representatives and is currently up for review in the state Senate.

Call 208-332-1000 and tell your representative you are in favor of passing HB693! They will take down your name and address and pass on your opinion.

Thanks for your support!
- C

How did you find information about this Idaho bill in that link?