• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Calling out BSchmidt1981 ? Brian you need to speak up or pay up?

Who does he owe, and what is the debt?  It looks like 5 cigars at $8 min a piece, but I just want to be sure what we're looking at.  Also, who appears to be getting stiffed at the moment?

I have not seen/heard from him, but I don't even recall that name at all.

Jake is owed 5 cigars with $8 min a piece. 

I am already taking care of Jake and getting something out on Wednesday assuming we don't hear from Brian.

ETA: A group PM with all winners and losers was sent out on Jan. 14th.  Everyone has communicated through that thread.  Brian has still not opened/read the group PM.

I am considering this a no show.  Seems as though Brian has chosen to play the game but not pay his dues.

This is BullSh*t and I am pretty pissed off as this has not been an issue in the 4 years of running this pick-em league.

Any old guys here remind me what is next or steps to follow in regards to BSchmidt1981?  Ban, scumbag list, kick in the balls....

Jake, something heading your way. 9405903699300352901229

Quick question:  Do any of your emails, PMs, or other communication pre-date his last active date?

It appears his last day active was 14 January....same day you sent the group PM announcing the winners.  But you say he hasn't read that yet.  Just curious if you have any clues of him being active after you started to attempt contact.

I'm not saying it excuses his lack of response or holding his end of the deal.  But it leaves open the slight possibility that there could be a real life issue. 

Brickhouse said:
Quick question:  Do any of your emails, PMs, or other communication pre-date his last active date?

It appears his last day active was 14 January....same day you sent the group PM announcing the winners.  But you say he hasn't read that yet.  Just curious if you have any clues of him being active after you started to attempt contact.

I'm not saying it excuses his lack of response or holding his end of the deal.  But it leaves open the slight possibility that there could be a real life issue. 
The group PM was sent at 4:44pm on Jan. 14th.  His last known activity was 2:49pm that day.  A PM was sent to just Brian on Jan. 23rd and Feb 2nd.  Emails were sent Jan. 27th to both addresses provided.

You make a valid point Wyatt, the timing on this seems pretty close.

It seems odd for $40 worth of gain. Not a compelling motive. Perhaps something did happen?

This was in the thread...

BSchmidt1981 said:
Shout out to Big Jake for the final game win!  You played it exactly as you should have.  I had intentions of picking Ohio State as I figured that what you were going to do.  Next thing I knew I was watching the kickoff at work...and kicking myself.  Nicely done.  Thanks again for running this.  I look forward to it every year.

He was aware that he lost and it was chosen over a week prior to his post (in the same thread) that only payouts were to 1 & 2...I figure if you congratulate your opponent on the win that it's not a secret you have to pay up....

modo22 said:
Well, going into the final game standings are;
1st - Cookie_1978    -  531 points & 532 possible
2nd - BSchmidt1981 -  446 points & 469 possible
3rd - BigJake            -  437 points & 458 possible
4th - Modo22           -   398 points & 437 possible
Dead last (see a trend here   :thumbs:  ) TallPaul with 312 points with 351 possible

Cookie has 1st place locked up!  Congrats!!  2nd place will be determined between Brian and Jake.....hopefully you two pick differently for next Monday. 

Unfortunately with only 8 players we are only paying out 1st and 2nd place this year.  Unless anyone has suggestions on how we pay out 3rd and have this make sense.  1st place will receive 20 sticks and keep their entry; 2nd place will receive 10 sticks and keep their entry. 

Thanks for playing again this year y'all.  And good luck to Brian and Jake...

That being said....I've said in our group PM multiple times that I sincerely hope that nothing happened in the real world...but 3 weeks with no communication one way or another is pretty inexcusable. We were nearly dropping the ban hammer on people in Secret Santa for half that amount of time. Same scenario...you make a commitment, you play along, you honor it. I'd think most people would agree he's really gotten the benefit of the doubt up to this point. 

Like I said in the PM this is not the first time with him being significantly late on a payment and did the same thing before. He just disappeared then arrived and sent his end like nothing ever happened.

I belive it was a previous year for this contest but I can't find the pm or anything posted publicly. I remember venting to CJ and he has his cell phone number. I called him and left a message and a couple days later he showed and payed up.

Tall Paul said:
I believe it was a previous year for this contest but I can't find the pm or anything posted publicly. I remember venting to CJ and he has his cell phone number. I called him and left a message and a couple days later he showed and payed up.
I tried looking for the PM as well.  In last years contest he took 2nd, so he was payed rather than having to pay.  So I believe the tardiness was 2 contests ago.

I must say...I thank Modo sincerely for making this right....but I'm very disappointed no one really seems to care about this at all after what I saw just happen during Secret Santa. Almost a month since he was aware he lost a buy in contest and he doesn't make it right and the community response is next to nothing.

If something really did happen to him...then it needs to at least be communicated by him or maybe one of his CP friends that may have an inclination as to if something is going on. If that's not the case...then as a matter of principle, integrity and forum rules...something should be done about it.

What sort of response would you like to see?  You've got several long time members in thread asking the right questions.

I'm not disagreeing that he's dropped the ball, but I'm not sure what anyone can do unless they live close enough to knock on the door...?

I could always give him a good tongue lashing.

Doc

Devil Doc said:
I could always give him a good tongue lashing.

Doc
Hopefully not with one of those fancy "personal massagers" shaped like a tongue.

BigJake6904 said:
I must say...I thank Modo sincerely for making this right....but I'm very disappointed no one really seems to care about this at all after what I saw just happen during Secret Santa. Almost a month since he was aware he lost a buy in contest and he doesn't make it right and the community response is next to nothing.

If something really did happen to him...then it needs to at least be communicated by him or maybe one of his CP friends that may have an inclination as to if something is going on. If that's not the case...then as a matter of principle, integrity and forum rules...something should be done about it.
It is my belief that the lack of response is less about caring and more about the fact that he appears to have abandoned the board.  No point in shouting at the wind.  If he showed activity then that would be a different story.  I think the second he shows up, the crap will hit the fan.

That said, I have followed this thread and done some searches to no avail.  I did searches on variations of brian, schmidt, 1981 and idaho.  All the social websites and forums I found show no recent activity.  News feeds also don't have anything to suggest a newsworthy event like arrest or accident.  Maybe someone else can have more luck.

oke&coke said:

It is my belief that the lack of response is less about caring and more about the fact that he appears to have abandoned the board.  No point in shouting at the wind.  If he showed activity then that would be a different story.  I think the second he shows up, the crap will hit the fan.

Agree.  While I've done my own private investigating, nothing has turned up.  If he raises his head then we can get started on some courses of action, starting with his explanation.  At the moment the issue has been brought to the attention of the board, as it should be.  So we are all on the lookout for future showings of him and to assist in prevention of his further participation in things here.

I personally think we hold off on a ban until he shows again, or at least shows activity again.  If we ban him then we won't get an explanation...no matter how poor it may be.  I for one would like to hear his justification for this lack of responsibility.

He has 182 posts in his 3 1/2 years here.  Far from being an "active" member.  So maybe this stint of inactivity is not non-typical for him.

Brickhouse said:

I personally think we hold off on a ban until he shows again, or at least shows activity again.  If we ban him then we won't get an explanation...no matter how poor it may be.  I for one would like to hear his justification for this lack of responsibility.

He has 182 posts in his 3 1/2 years here.  Far from being an "active" member.  So maybe this stint of inactivity is not non-typical for him.

It seemed his only activity the last two years was just this contest.  So I agree that "active" is a loose term there, so maybe this is normal?  But the point being is he knew he lost and knew he owed, so there is neglect at that point.

I would also like to hold off on any sort of ban at this point as after the questions and research, I would like to hear what his reasoning is first.  I do agree with Jake that I was hoping for a different or more of a response I guess.  It seems in the last 3-4 posts I have seen exactly what I wanted to see in the beginning; asked some good questions, we have done some research, but have found nothing and we will all remember next time he pops up. 

I have a long memory of people who screw me over.  Although this one was not me personally, it was in my contest.   So I look forward to hearing from Brian in 11 months.  I am still waiting for Mac to pop back up one day and try to sell some crap!  :laugh:

Paul, any more info on this happening before?  If it is a pattern he should be considered for the list as a bad trader at minimum and a thief on the other extreme.  If he is delayed because of major life issues that should probably be a consideration as well - since Jake and Ben were most heavily impacted I leave it to them if they want to formally propose him for addition to the list now or feel that it isn't yet time.