• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Can anyone help me look up a vehicle owner?

geldor1

Can't Re- Member
My wife was in an accident this morning. She is fine. :D

But the car is not. It is drivable with no visable damage, but the spare was rammed up under the frame and the body shop said it is going to be an insurance claim.

She was sitting at a light and was hit from behind.

She didn't call the police (I know, don't get me started :angry: )

The car had out of state plates, the car 'belongs to her mother-in-law' and she doesn't have a phone yet because she only moved down 2 weeks ago.

All I have is:

drivers name

owners name

tag number & state (this is the only thing I know for certain)

The police here won't do a plate look-up.

Called my insurance and if I can't provide an owner, insurance company and possibly a policy... I get the BIG BONE!!

If I have the plate and state, can I get the owner and possibly insurance?

I really don't trust paying one of the internet sites $50 - $80 for a report.

Call the county clerks ofice in the county the tag was issued. It's public info. :thumbs:

geldor1 said:
Called my insurance and if I can't provide an owner, insurance company and possibly a policy... I get the BIG BONE!!
[snapback]234671[/snapback]​

well, if you had there policy number, you might be able to call the head of insurance for your state and he could help you. Insurance people can't look up people either.

Go with the Sarge's advice. :thumbs:

And if you do have to file, here in TN you could file under "un-insuranced motorist" and it would be a deductible of 200, where are most people here have a deductible of 500. I gotta get out of work! :laugh:

Did you get the name and address?

Here in CA you can file an "SR1" (actually you have to) with the DMV and in the process you can notify the DMV that the other driver was driving without insurance. You shoulds also be able to get the owner's name and address.

Send the owner a letter (or better yet have your attorney :D send a letter demanding that they give you their insurance information or any claim will be brought against them personally. The threat of being taken to court usually will get them to cough up the info.

If there is in fact no insurance coverage you can still sue. Once you get a judgment on your behalf they will have to pay. If they have no liquid assets to pay you can file a lien against any real property they may own. When the title to that property is transferred you will be listed as a creditor and will be paid from the proceeds. Of course this solution does you no good now as ususally it will be some time before the property is sold. However you are entitled to interest from the date of the judgment.

There are also services on the internet or investigaotr that can get the info for you. Of course these options cost money too.

>>> None of the above information is intended to be legal advice and no attorney-client relationship has been created. All statements are given based on California law and the laws in your state/county may be different. Be sure to contact an attormey in your area to preserve your rights in this matter. The laws regarding such cases are complicated and differ from state to state. You have a limited time from the date of the accident in which to file a claim. If you wish to pursue this matter seek the advice of an attorney immediately. <<<<

- Jason

Thanks for the replys.

The wife did get a local address where the girl was staying.

I was able to look up the address (ain't Google Maps a grand thing :) ) and we went and paid her a visit.

The car belongs to her boyfriend's mom.
He was home and gave us the the only paperwork in the glovebox, which was the vehicle registration. I have the owner's name, phone number and insurance company. We also got the girl's driver license info. I hope that is all my insurance company will need.

geldor1, Private Dick, at your service.

glad your wife's OK.

geldor1 said:
Thanks for the replys.

The wife did get a local address where the girl was staying.

I was able to look up the address (ain't Google Maps a grand thing :) ) and we went and paid her a visit.

The car belongs to her boyfriend's mom.
He was home and gave us the the only paperwork in the glovebox, which was the vehicle registration. I have the owner's name, phone number and insurance company. We also got the girl's driver license info. I hope that is all my insurance company will need.
[snapback]234770[/snapback]​

Yep, that's all they'll need. The insurance company might also want some sort of accident report number from the police.

coventrycat86 said:
Yep, that's all they'll need. The insurance company might also want some sort of accident report number from the police.
[snapback]234921[/snapback]​

I call the local police station and the said to come in and pick up a 'Blue Form'(it's not really blue :laugh: ) we have 10 days to file this report.

Alot of people will tell you if an accident happens on private property, IE Wal-mart parking lot or anything not in the road, you don't need a police report...

I'm tell you guys as and Insurance agent and a person who had to have it happen to believe it, ALWAYS get a police report, NO MATTER WHAT! It just makes it easier. Yeah I've seen people get around them, (We had a girl fake everything with the police and never found her) but the 200 the policy holder paid out for his front end, was alot better than the 500 he was gunna have to pay.

It's just worth getting. ;) :thumbs:

Just be aware that if it is private property PDs won't come out. you have to go and file a desk report. That's the way it is here in Santa Clara County anyways.