• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Can anyone Identify these Cohibas?

:Monty:

A friend of mine gave me these today and I'm not sure what I have here. I've looked through a lot of the fake cohibas threads on here and they seem to be legit(I hope). I'd just like to know what I have.

grammar edit

I would guess a Siglo VI and 35th Anny Esplendidos but it's hard to tell without some measurements. How long are they? Length and ring gauge would nail it down. They look legit but who knows?

Send them to me. I'll smoke them and get back to you on whether or not I thought they were legit. ;) :D

Well it turns out only one of the two were real cohibas. The aniversario was a definite fake after some closer scrutiny with the boys at my B&M. I smoked the one on the left (the real one) first and all I can say is wow. My first intro to CC's was an absolute treat. The next day I brought in the aniversario and new something was amiss as soon as I lit it up. We immediately went into CSI mode comparing the bands, looking on the internet etc. It actually wasn't all that bad of a smoke but nowhere near the experience of the first one.

I'm thinking that the one of the left is also fake. The gold box surrounding "COHIBA" is much too thick. On a real Cohiba, this box is slightly smaller than the gold band running around the back. Ths registration of the COHIBA imprint also looks funny to me.

My $.02 worth.

The dead give away is the rows of squares at the top of the band. Yours has about 2.5 rows of white squares. If you take a look at the great image of the Cohiba Sublimes that Greg reviewed a few days ago you can see that there should be three. I believe that's hard evidence that it's a fake unless 2.5 rows is valid too.

Greg's Cohiba Review

Well I guess I've still never smoked a CC. First one was definitely very tasty, I wonder what it was...

Remember, just because it's fake, doesn't mean it isn't Cuban... Just not a Cohiba. Tons of fakes come out of Cuba. At least you enjoyed it.

You know Dave, your post got me to thinking. If I remember correctly the partial row of dots is common in counterfeits. It's almost like a theme. You would think that the counterfeiters know there should be 3 rows. Otherwise the band is really quite good. It just makes you wonder if it really was a cc Cohiba but just not one that passed QC or something. I guess I'm thinking a second but I've never heard of a Cohiba second. It just made me go... Hm.

I'm pretty sure they don't release seconds, but I could be wrong (I still have A LOT to learn). As for the counterfeiters, they may know the proper band, but just not really care. I've seen a couple where the band was almost perfect. Heck, there are sites out there that sell just bands. It's big business, and really quite sad if you ask me. Check this out.

A quick search of the net would have produced.......

gallery_998_773_21664.jpg

Hmmm, in answer to your question, no, I cannot tell you what have.

http://havanajournal.com/cigars/cohibas

http://www.cigaraficionado.com/Cigar/CA_Counterfeits/Counterfeit_Gallery/0,3390,,00.html

What's the batting average on these types of threads? I don't think in all the time I've been here we have had one with a real Cohiba posted.

I'm pretty sure they don't release seconds, but I could be wrong (I still have A LOT to learn). As for the counterfeiters, they may know the proper band, but just not really care. I've seen a couple where the band was almost perfect. Heck, there are sites out there that sell just bands. It's big business, and really quite sad if you ask me. Check this out.

WOW!

That site is nuts and not in a good way

Bart

Crap. I was hoping for some authentic Cohibo bands

WOW!

That site is nuts and not in a good way

Bart