• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Can anyone reccomend a Canadian online store?

mild to medium

(ordering from Canada first of all)

Hi,

I've been holding off on asking this question guys because frankly, I really like Famous Smoke Shop. Their prices, their service and selection.

Having recently moved across the border, I had, and do still plan to order from FSS, and am thankful they offer Canada shipping on their website.

Frankly, I'm not in love with Cuban cigars, and like my mild to medium brands (no pun intended) which FSS offers, at good prices too. I'm crossing my fingers for when the time comes that I wont be hammered with customs fees.

That being said, I was hoping some Canadians had some input on good online stores or an equivalent of FSS on this side of the border, who doesn't charge $22 a stick, like most places here? Just in case FSS doesnt work out.

Thank you kindly.

Good luck finding any cigar in Canada cheap. Eeven Backwoods and Dutch Masters will freak you out...

There isn't any. Find a couple of places in the US that will ship and take your chances. With our taxes even if you got 2 of every 3 boxes through without being caught you'd be WAY ahead. Heck order from your favourite places online, ship to a family or friend and have them ship it up. Also, you can bring 50 cigars in per person after 48 hours after trips to the US.

Yup everyone is right. The taxes are ridiculous here and there isn't really anywhere to get decently priced non-cubans here. Or I haven't found anywhere. Sorry for the bad news.

It sucks too because recently I've become so frustrated with the quality of many Cuban cigars that I'd prefer to smoke non cubans more since the once I've had have never had draw problems.
If I buy I box of cigars for $125-150 ( Sure that isn't a ton of money but its not a little either.) I expect most of them to smoke well and not be plugged. Lately that hasn't been the case and I've grown tired of gambling with my money.

Ok I'll stop my rant and thread hijack now. Sorry. ;)

If the package says cigars on it you WILL get hammered with custom fees.

"There isn't any. Find a couple of places in the US that will ship and take your chances."

That pretty much sums it up.

Wow...

And I thought all the NY guys that complain about taxes had it hard...

Sorry you guys have such a hard time with shipping...

Your best bet is to find a decent retailer that will ship via USPS and not have the package declared as a tobacco product. The key is to ship via USPS! From experience you're better off having Canada Post handle the Canadian side of things. There is likely less chance of customs inspecting the package, and almost no hidden fees. Couriers may offer cheaper rates for one reason or another, but brokerage fees, duty, and tax will end up killing you in the end.

PM me and I can fill you in on my recent experience.

Has anyone ordered from there? I checked out the site and it looks kinda sketchy... not a single cigar I saw had any reviews or ratings, prices seemed a little too goo to be true on some things as well. They have no contact info other than a web form to fill out, and at the bottom of the page this is shown "Copyrighted 2009 © Best Cigars Prices on the Net"

edit to add: Their forum has a grand total of 4 regiustered users and 2 topics...

<!--quoteo(post=886030:date=Jul 17 2009, 12:40 AM:name=mugzy)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (mugzy @ Jul 17 2009, 12:40 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=886030"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec--><a href="http://acecigarmart.com" target="_blank">http://acecigarmart.com</a><!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Has anyone ordered from there? I checked out the site and it looks kinda sketchy... not a single cigar I saw had any reviews or ratings, prices seemed a little too goo to be true on some things as well. They have no contact info other than a web form to fill out, and at the bottom of the page this is shown "Copyrighted 2009 © Best Cigars Prices on the Net"

edit to add: Their forum has a grand total of 4 regiustered users and 2 topics...

I'd say that just from your initial suspicions of that site, you would probably be best off not to order from them.

One place that I purchase from while in Vancouver also ships any of their stock throughout Canada - City Cigar. They have an online presence but do not show their stock online. A quick email or call will get you what you need. Good peeps there but you will be facing typical CND pricing.

One place that I purchase from while in Vancouver also ships any of their stock throughout Canada - **** *****. They have an online presence but do not show their stock online. A quick email or call will get you what you need. Good peeps there but you will be facing typical CND pricing.

I've only looked breifly at their site but I noticed they listed this under the JLP - "All seven of the José L. Piedra sizes are made using the traditional "totalmente a mano, tripa corta" - totally hand made, short filler technique." I'm pretty sure all the JLPs are machine made short filler. This doesn't mean they may not be good to deal with but you might want to be sure what you want and what you're ordering if you use them. Also, I'm pretty sure that might be considered a 'source' for CCs based on their site.

SNIP>>>> Also, you can bring 50 cigars in per person after 48 hours after trips to the US.

Basically, you and the "Better Half" could take a weekend trip across the border to some state that has reasonable taxes (hell, they're all reasonable compared to Canada), buy 100 cigars (remember the 50 ea rule) and with what you save in Canadian taxes, you have more than paid for your little mini-vacation.

Same thing goes for Cuba, you can get an all-inclusive vacation for 2 people, bring back 100 middle range cigars and more than pay for your trip.

One place that I purchase from while in Vancouver also ships any of their stock throughout Canada - **** *****. They have an online presence but do not show their stock online. A quick email or call will get you what you need. Good peeps there but you will be facing typical CND pricing.

I've only looked breifly at their site but I noticed they listed this under the JLP - "All seven of the José L. Piedra sizes are made using the traditional "totalmente a mano, tripa corta" - totally hand made, short filler technique." I'm pretty sure all the JLPs are machine made short filler. This doesn't mean they may not be good to deal with but you might want to be sure what you want and what you're ordering if you use them. Also, I'm pretty sure that might be considered a 'source' for CCs based on their site.
Some of the JLPs are hand made or partially. I know because I was thrown off when I bought a 5er of the petit Cazadores last year. Somebody here set me straight. I have the pic of the box somewhere if you want to see it.

I thought they were for the most part machine made and/or bundled, perhaps hand finished as opposed to totally hand made?

Edit: clarity

Thank you Guys for this thread, and your overwhelming response.

Frankly I feel bad now for ignoring this thread for a couple weeks now, since I never thought I'd get one or two responses.

I *just* placed and order through FSS for 164.00 US worth of Cigars. They say than can only ship through UPS and will message me regarding any extra shipping charges.. I will keep you posted on what happens in terms of brokerage fee's, total overall cost, and turnaround time (used to be 2 days in the states, max).

Shamrocker: I am going to send you a PM after this message.

And thank you Guys again for the advice. I've garnered so far:
- Cross the border and do it per quota
- Get it delivered to a loved one/friend Stateside,
- or Find a store that delivers it via USPS.

Short of the USPS finding store, I am going to look into proxy mailing services too if this FSS order turns very pricey. Will keep you posted.

Ouch, if it's a courier service FSS sends it by or if it's listed on the box as tobacco you could be paying 200% of your bill, my fingers are crossed for you. If they send it unmarked USPS please pm me :whistling: