• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Can pipe tobaccos compete with a decent cigar?

Pipes can be more convenient for short smokes than cigars. You can always load just a quarter or half bowl.  You'll also find that the baccy in a partially smoked bowl is still very good if you let it sit for a few hours or a couple of days. Some smokers deliberately do this, because they believe that the practice actually significantly improves the smoke flavor. They refer to the practice as DGT, or Delayed Gratification Technique. 

When I get a new pipe I usually smoke quarter to half bowls until I get it broken in.

After  some consideration, I offer a couple of observations

1. Pipe tobacco quality is on average much better than the average cigar. By this I mean, that I haven't' tried a tinned or bulk pipe tobacco that wasn't at least good, and most very good. For every decent cigar, there are dozens of dog sticks or are at best, blah.

2. For my tastes, the price spent for pipe tobaccos isn't a good predictor of quality. Peter Stokkebye's bulk Luxury Navy Flake and Orliks Golden Slice are every bit as good as blends costing 50% more. A smoker might like an SG Flake more than one of the aforementioned but I would argue that it is a matter of taste not quality. 

investandprosper said:
Try some Semois, the most cigar-like tobacco I've seen

Semois is definitely some interesting stuff.  Gotta pack it tight and smoke slowly.  Agreed on how similar it is to a cigar.

Spent the weekend camping with friends. My morning smoke was a bowl of Davidoff English mix along with coffee. I usually have a breakfast cigar when off playing. This was a nice change.