• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Can Someone Please Give Me The Facts?

McPatrickClan

McPatrickClan
So I started smoking the great cigar when I was 16. I looked cool, so, of course, I continued. Since I have graduated college and now have some extra bread, I am much more of a cigar enthusiast. I have two humidors and like to keep 60+ cigars on hand most of the time. I smoke about 3-5 cigars per week.

The problem is, I read all kinds of information and ask all kinds of people, and no one seems to be honest with me! I know that cigarette smoking is not the best thing for your health (my grandmother died of cancer that was linked to her 2-pack per day habit). I have read online articles. I have searched this and other forums. I have asked people I trust. The responses I get are very confusing:

DAD: Smoke just one per month, you should be careful
DOCTOR: If you smoke 3-5 per week, you should just smoke a pack of cigarettes a day
ONLINE ARTICLES: Less than 1-2 per day will not cause significant problems (odds dictate)

I mean, the people I should really trust don't know jack. I don't want to be an alarmist, of course, but I don't want to get my jaw hacked off because it is racked with cancer. I don't want to die at 45 because I smoked too many Cohibas. Guys, you engage in the same great cigar smoking I do. Do you worry about your health? Can you give me some facts here? I am totally confused and questioning which way is up. ???

Smoking any tobacco product is a risk to your health.

Devin Cole said:
Smoking any tobacco product is a risk to your health.
So is drinking pop, eating red meat, drinking alcohol, etc. Everybody seems to do OK with those things. The problem is, I have people acting like alarmists and frankly, they have me a bit concerned. I know I can trust you guys, so I wanted to solicit some information.

FatherT, I read that and it made me feel a lot better. But it concerns me when a medical doctor tells me that I should cut back. Those two sources of information are both worthy and should be accurate, but I hate the conflict!

For example, everyone knows that a paper cut is safe, it will just hurt. What if a new report shows that you could die from a paper cut? Would you be worried? Not really, but if numerous studies start to show that, then would you be worried? Maybe.

McPatrickClan said:
So is drinking pop, eating red meat, drinking alcohol, etc. Everybody seems to do OK with those things.

Until it catches up with you...

Sounds to me like you want someone to tell you it is safe.

But it concerns me when a medical doctor tells me that I should cut back.
If it concerns you that much, then maybe you should. The trouble is there have been a lot of studies and some say it's bad and some say it's not that bad. So who do you believe? One thing's for sure - it isn't good for you; it's just a question of how bad it is. It's kind of like global warming. The climate may be getting warmer and it may not. But pumping billions of tons of carbon dioxide into the atmosphere can't be a good thing.

I can't tell you what to do, you have to evaluate the risks the best you can with the limited amount of data available and decide for yourself whether it's worth it or not.

FatherTiresius said:
If it concerns you that much, then maybe you should.
??? :(

FatherT, you might be right. I am probably guilty of over-analyzing this. I do want someone to tell me that it is totally safe, but it isn't. We all smoke, knowing that we are risking our health to some degree. I just can't seem to pin down: to what degree?

Does anyone really know? I am not so sure that they do.

As my great grand father would put it (he smoked 1 cigar and drank one martini at 4:00 everyday until he died at the age of 96) everything in moderation is fine. I think this rule is pretty true to most things in life.

Joe P said:
everything in moderation is fine
:D :D :p :0

JoeP, you make me laugh. I have a buddy who is always falling back on this. I always thought he was a goon on this theory, but as I have matured, I have found this to be true. Good advice from your ancestor.

There are so many variables to consider when deciding if you want to smoke or not. One of the things to consider is family health history. Does cancer run through your family. In my case, I have only one relative who had cancer.

My grandfather smoked two packs of unfiltered cigarettes a day for almost seventy years. When he died an autopsy was done and his lungs were clear as a bell. Go figure.

I'm religious about getting my annual physical and my doctor, who convinced me to stop smoking cigarettes almost eight years ago, always asks me how many cigars I smoke a day when I go in. From his research on the subject he tells me that as long as I smoke cigars moderately (no more than 4-5 a day) and don't inhale I should be alright. In fact he feels that smoking a cigar is a good stress relievier. He did say he would change his opinion if say, my blood pressure changed. But he has told me that there is still a risk to smoke cigars.

The main thing you have to ask yourself is: Is this a risk I am willing to take? ???

Shadow said:
My grandfather smoked two packs of unfiltered cigarettes a day for almost seventy years. When he died an autopsy was done and his lungs were clear as a bell. Go figure.
this is simply amazing!!! ???

my mother died 2 yrs ago from emphyzema from smoking. and my family is always on me about the cigars. no one in my family has a history of anything.
and if my lungs are going to give out it'll be from the "stuff" i smoked in and out of high school.

i truly believe in moderation is the key to everything! :D

mc p, i don't want to belittle your concerns, however unless we experience rapture, i seriously doubt any of us are going to get out of this world alive, and although i am not a hedonist per say, i do belive that a person should indulge himself on occasion. i personally like to eat, i know i should weigh about 250-255 instead of 300, however i could go on a full tilt attack on my beer belly and not enjoy my eating for several months, or i could decide if 50 pounds bothers me that much and take a more passive approach, to dieting, i feel it is the same with cigars and other vices we humans have, if i get to the point that i feel guilty for smoking too many cigars i may want to cut back, if i feel really bad about weighing over 300, i will diet more stictly and excercise more diligently.

most people who smoke cigaretts do so out of addiction, i have smoked one cigar a month and one a day for two weeks, back and forth, and untill i feel an uncontrollable urge to attack the humidor constantly instead of doing what i need to be doing at the time, i wil smoke whenever i feel like smoking.

not necessarilly words of wisdom, but maybe a little different philosophical angle on it,

nick :)

Haven't all of us had this discussion at one time or another :D

But the way I look at it is this sitting down for 30 to 60 minutes two, three even four times a week to kick back and unwind and enjoy a good smoke and drink (if you choose) is a way to release some of the everyday stress in ones life. Now there are countless arguments about "stress" and its effects as well. But there is no doubt in my mind that we are moving much faster than our parents ever did........ so I say sitting back watching the world go bye, and just unwinding for a time period a couple, a few times each week can't be bad for a person :D ;) :D

A Good Cigar, A Good Drink, and Good Friends is what it's all about :D

That is MY feeling as well Ben. I think that the stress most of us deal with is cause for concern where our health is concerned. I have also decided that the adverse effects of smoking a cigar or two a day are less damaging to me than the stress I am relieving by smoking them.

"Light Up for your Health, and don't Damn the Torps please"

I'm glad I stumbled apon this discussion. I have not worried too much about my smoking. I use to chew skoal and that was a bad dream waiting to happen. I'm looking forward to reading the research article. Thanks FT.

Well, my grandfather smoked for something like 79 years, he lived until he was 92. Smoked the nastiest cigars around, White owl, Swishers, and the occasional premium. He also drank a glass of wine, rum or scotch almost every day when he came home from work. Only catch was that he DID die of cancer of the throat, but it took 91 years for it to catch up to him.

I personally am under the belief that as long as you don't smoke like an addict, I should be ok. But who knows for sure? We're led to believe MJ is bad for you, yet no one will do an actual study on it's affects to people dying of cancer, aids, etc, when it's nothing more than an herb, and we allow much worse legally, but anyway.... Everything in moderation. Your gonna die eventually, so when it's time to punch out, would you rather have regrets, or would you rather know you had enjoyed life?

But the bottom line of course is if you're comfortable with the fact that you are putting substances in your body. If you aren't ok with it, it's ok to not smoke.

IMHO, What matters most is what ever gene pool you happend to get, but if you decide it is best not to risk it , I will be happy to send you my addy and take the risk for you . LOL :D

Ok, McP....here are the facts

efiW yM deredruM dna depaR G nhoJ

FIND HIM AND KILL HIM

THE FACTS

Fact 1:
MALE

Fact 2:
WHITE

Fact 3:
FIRST NAME JOHN OR JAMES

Fact 4:
LAST NAME G_____