• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Can tobacco dry out in sealed tin?

August_West

I have only been smoking a pipe for about 5 months and have been buying tins of pipe tobacco regularly online from a couple of the popular online stores. My experience has always been that upon opening a tin of pipe tobacco it is moist, usually needing a bit of drying out prior to smoking depending on the blend. But this week I opened up a tin of G.L. Pease Westminster that seemed like it was dried out. I probably should have known this because when I shook the can it had that "dried out sound" to it. The tin didn't have any holes in it, and it doesn't taste bad, but for jarring purposes I probably should hydrate the tobacco shouldn't I? Or is this the way Westminster is supposed to be? The second can I purchased of the same blend has the same sound when I shake it. Any experiences like this with anyone? Thanks!
Eric

I've smoked about 6 or 7 tins of Westminster and I've never had one be too dry upon opening. In fact, it's usually a little wetter than I prefer upon opening. Perhaps the seal was bad? Sometimes tobaccos do ship a little drier than other times, but if the seal is good on the tin the moisture level shouldn't change between packaging and opening.

I have had the experience with Maltese Falcon with one tine being almost perfect for smoking and the next being very wet. These came from 2 different places and were purchased about a month apart.

I ordered two tins of Westminster recently from Smokingpipes.com and they also have that very dry sounding rattle to them. I thought it was pretty odd. I haven't opened them yet as I already have too many opened tins. I'm a little worried now. I'll let you guys know what happens when I eventually open one.

Just because the tobacco makes that "rattle" noise doesn't mean it's dried out. Most Cornell & Diehl tins I've had or have sound like that. It's not an indication of the moisture level of the tobacco as far as I can tell. It seems to just be the nature of the tins they use. Come to think of it, a lot of the McClelland tins I've had do the same (same types of tins).

Cornell & Diehl package the Pease blends, I believe.

I ordered two tins of Westminster recently from Smokingpipes.com and they also have that very dry sounding rattle to them. I thought it was pretty odd. I haven't opened them yet as I already have too many opened tins. I'm a little worried now. I'll let you guys know what happens when I eventually open one.

Hey there, actually that's where I got mine from. I'm going to give it a smoke this weekend, I'll let you know how it is- it smells good :)