• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Can't Figure Out Why My Humidy Is So High

My heartfelt beads are on the way. It's so weird, I haven't had the problem anymore since I made the post. 2-3 days of haywire humidity. Then as soon as I try to start fixing it, it goes back down. Just F*&!ing weird.

I'll put the beads in anyways to level things out.

Just an update on my progress (a bit long, but I'll keep it as short as possible):

I bought half pound of HF beads. When they arrived, I split them between 2 mesh bags and put them in different areas in the wineador. I put them in mostly dry to absorb some of the humidity in there already. I gave them 2 days, and the HF didn't do anything except increase the humidity even more by 2%. I took everything out that produces humidity, sans the wood blocks, and waited a few hours. The humidity continued to go up.

I took out all the wood blocks. Only thing left in there was 2 cedar cigar boxes, and some cigars. No humidity items, wood blocks, etc. I waited a day. The humidity still went to 79%. This made me sit and think really hard. I think I smelled smoke in my bedroom :)

I wondered if the wimeador itself could be creating the humidity. I check the inside, ran my hand around, no condensation in the humidor section itself. Maybe there was on condensation being made on the unit inside itself when it became really hot and worked overtime. Then when it cooled down a bit, the condensation evaporated into extra humidity. Why the beads, or boveda, didn't regulate it I don't fully understand, but that's a different matter.

Sat down and started doing searches. Voila, I found a post on a different cigar forum with someone have the exact same problem. I read through the threads and there were a few people that were suggesting condensation inside evaporating. Much like I had a hunch was happening.

They suggested using tupperware, and just using the wineador as temp control.

So, that's where I'm at now. I picked up some tupperware at the store, washed them, and then put my cigars in them with HF beads. I checked them all day yesterday, and this morning. My hygrometer showed 70% RH in the tupperware from yesterday afternoon, until right now. And the high RH on the hygrometer was 70%. It is now doing exactly what it should be doing.

So for now, I guess I'll stick with the tupperware in the wine cooler. And then I'll see how it goes.

Just an update on my progress (a bit long, but I'll keep it as short as possible):

I bought half pound of HF beads. When they arrived, I split them between 2 mesh bags and put them in different areas in the wineador. I put them in mostly dry to absorb some of the humidity in there already. I gave them 2 days, and the HF didn't do anything except increase the humidity even more by 2%. I took everything out that produces humidity, sans the wood blocks, and waited a few hours. The humidity continued to go up.

I took out all the wood blocks. Only thing left in there was 2 cedar cigar boxes, and some cigars. No humidity items, wood blocks, etc. I waited a day. The humidity still went to 79%. This made me sit and think really hard. I think I smelled smoke in my bedroom :)

I wondered if the wimeador itself could be creating the humidity. I check the inside, ran my hand around, no condensation in the humidor section itself. Maybe there was on condensation being made on the unit inside itself when it became really hot and worked overtime. Then when it cooled down a bit, the condensation evaporated into extra humidity. Why the beads, or boveda, didn't regulate it I don't fully understand, but that's a different matter.

Sat down and started doing searches. Voila, I found a post on a different cigar forum with someone have the exact same problem. I read through the threads and there were a few people that were suggesting condensation inside evaporating. Much like I had a hunch was happening.

They suggested using tupperware, and just using the wineador as temp control.

So, that's where I'm at now. I picked up some tupperware at the store, washed them, and then put my cigars in them with HF beads. I checked them all day yesterday, and this morning. My hygrometer showed 70% RH in the tupperware from yesterday afternoon, until right now. And the high RH on the hygrometer was 70%. It is now doing exactly what it should be doing.

So for now, I guess I'll stick with the tupperware in the wine cooler. And then I'll see how it goes.
Well, at least you have that part solved. Now you have a lot of beads for when you get your coolers up and running. ;)

Like you I have a coolidor, Boevda packs, and two censors right next to the boveda packs. The censor on the top typically reads much higher than the one on the bottom. I think this is because humid air is less dense than air and rises upwards. I bought one of those magnetic Boveda holders, put it on the roof, and have had less RH swings since then.

Like you I have a coolidor, Boevda packs, and two censors right next to the boveda packs. The censor on the top typically reads much higher than the one on the bottom. I think this is because humid air is less dense than air and rises upwards. I bought one of those magnetic Boveda holders, put it on the roof, and have had less RH swings since then.
That's an interesting idea. My hygrometer was closer to the top. However, even when I moved it around it was still high. The highest though was when I put it near the top. Something to keep in mind. I think I'll be sticking with HF beads from now on. Maybe boveda in a pinch or when I put some carry over in bags or something.

That's an interesting idea. My hygrometer was closer to the top. However, even when I moved it around it was still high. The highest though was when I put it near the top. Something to keep in mind. I think I'll be sticking with HF beads from now on. Maybe boveda in a pinch or when I put some carry over in bags or something.
Man, if noobles would just listen to those that have made the mistakes before them, they could actually save themselves sooooo much money in trial and error and finally going tried-and-true. Don't worry, dude, you are not the first, and you won't be the last...

Man, if noobles would just listen to those that have made the mistakes before them, they could actually save themselves sooooo much money in trial and error and finally going tried-and-true. Don't worry, dude, you are not the first, and you won't be the last...
Yeah I’m goin full Tupperware here soon. Runnin out of space in my humi after 10+ years I didn’t need the space till I started gettin involved here lol. Still wanna keep my collection to one large tupperdor for now since I don’t have the space for large coolers. Just bought a 2 pack so govee’s with screens for $20 on Amazon which was sweet and I’ll make the switch to heartfelt beads when I go to the tupperdor. Hopefully I can find a nice size one that will fit onset the bed.

I bought half pound of HF beads. When they arrived, I split them between 2 mesh bags and put them in different areas in the wineador. I put them in mostly dry to absorb some of the humidity in there already. I gave them 2 days, and the HF didn't do anything except increase the humidity even more by 2%. I took everything out that produces humidity....The humidity continued to go up.

I posted here a number of years ago having a similar problem in my cabinet. The HF beads, two or three pounds of them, 70%, directly purchased from HF and put into four of their "mesh socks" did absolutely nothing, the beads never expanded just a little or absorbed anything. The humidity was still high in the cabinet after a month with the beads in there.

I thought, like with a super dried out sponge or mop that maybe they needed that initial moisture to absorb correctly, so I submerged them in distilled water to season them up and then let them dry back down to about 10% capacity by weight, divided them into the 4 socks and back into the cabinet but no luck.

I was told by HF afterwards to just put them in dry, no need to season anything and they will absorb, but these beads didn't seem to really work well at de humidifying. Just my own personal experience.

Probably there is a way to search here for that old thread.