• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Can't get above 65%

Nervjiggy

Hmmm
I have a 100 ct glass top humidor. Alright right now I have four different humidifiers in there. Three containers of the Thompson gel. Each is suppose to humidify a 100 count humidor to 70%. I also have the floral foam humidifier that came with the humidor. My bro has one of those oasis electric humidifier things and his is set to 70%. My hydrometer says 60% when in his humidor which tells me it's off by ten. When I put the hydrometer in my humidor it wont go above 55% which tells me it's really 65% in my humidor. Any clue?

I have a 100 ct glass top humidor. Alright right now I have four different humidifiers in there. Three containers of the Thompson gel. Each is suppose to humidify a 100 count humidor to 70%. I also have the floral foam humidifier that came with the humidor. My bro has one of those oasis electric humidifier things and his is set to 70%. My hydrometer says 60% when in his humidor which tells me it's off by ten. When I put the hydrometer in my humidor it wont go above 55% which tells me it's really 65% in my humidor. Any clue?
65 is fine, stop worrying and enjoy a stick. :)

Another thing to consider....just because your bro's oasis is set to 70, doesn't mean its really 70. Never underestimate the ability of electronics to be wrong.

I would salt test your hydrometer and go from there. 65 is fine for your sticks imo. Another thing would be the seal around the glass of the humi. Glass tops are notorious for leaking..

Also if it is an analog hygro, ditch it and get a digital one. My analog never went above 50 no matter how many times I calibrated and when I eventually got a digital and calibrated it it read 75! 3 gel jars sounds like wayyyyy too much for a 100ct humi IMHO. Just try digital (if thats not what you already have) and go from there. And as everyone else has already said 65% is fine. You might also want to look into getting some beats from Heartfelt Industries. Good Luck!

Having 65% is great. I run my 3k stick humidor at 61% and my cigars smoke better here than they do at 70%. Unless of course the cigar has channels in it.

Why do you want to keep it at 70%? I keep my humidors at 63-65%, and NEVER above 65%...

Also if it is an analog hygro, ditch it and get a digital one. My analog never went above 50 no matter how many times I calibrated and when I eventually got a digital and calibrated it it read 75! 3 gel jars sounds like wayyyyy too much for a 100ct humi IMHO. Just try digital (if thats not what you already have) and go from there. And as everyone else has already said 65% is fine. You might also want to look into getting some beats from Heartfelt Industries. Good Luck!
It's a cheapo walmart hydrometer.

Having 65% is great. I run my 3k stick humidor at 61% and my cigars smoke better here than they do at 70%. Unless of course the cigar has channels in it.
That's a lot of cigars...

Why do you want to keep it at 70%? I keep my humidors at 63-65%, and NEVER above 65%...
I did the salt thing. My hydrometer is sitting at 50% if I remember correctly that test is to calibrate to 75% hmmm it appears I may be too high. I think I'm going to get a good hydrometer instead of this cheapo. How's the xikar one?

First off, take the floral foam out...

Are you sure you did the salt test correctly? Did you leave it to sit for 12-24 hours? 25 points is alot to be off for any hygrometer.

Did you season the humidor before you started all this?

Its personal preference.

Are you sure you did the salt test correctly? Did you leave it to sit for 12-24 hours? 25 points is alot to be off for any hygrometer.

It's been sitting sense this morning. Yes I seasoned the humidor.

It's been sitting sense this morning. Yes I seasoned the humidor.

Depending on different factors, it could take a couple of days to re-season the humidor. Especially in winter if you have to run the heat to keep the house warm. I usually take 2 days to re-season my humidors. I need to upgrade to either a 5k or a 10k stick humidor. So when I deal with my humidor, I take my time to do it right. The advantage of my 3k humidor is that I have the Avallo Humidification System so I just program it at what humidity % I want and only have to refill the canisters every month or so.

First, 65% is fine.

Second, it's that time of year, with cold, DRY air.

Third, you might want to seal the glass top with
clear bathtub caulk. I had to make a gasket for
the door of my humi, but left the glass unsealed
for a small bit of air circulation. Works great,
except for a week or two in the spring and fall,
when the weather changes. Also during the winter
the humi stabilizes in the 62%-65% range. In the
more humid summer it's spot on at 68%-70%.

Don't worry about it, you're doing fine.

Ditch the green foam, maybe even the gel.
Get beads. Beads make humi maintenance almost
fool proof.

Chemyst :cool:

The hydrometer ended up on 56/57 on the salt test. Still a bit high. I'm leaving one of the gel containers in there and we will see what happens.

So thats about 18% low on the reading. You said in your earlier post that it was sitting at 55% in your humi, right?

That means your humi is really sitting at about 73%, which imo would be too high. This would also mean that your brothers humi is running at 78%, which is really high.

I would suggest picking up the xikar, I don't have one personally, but its gotta be better than the walmart special. I would then re-salt test them both together, just to be sure everything is accurate. I've never seen a walmart one off by that much, though i do have one off by about 8%. I would also be suprised the cigar oasis is running so high as well, but again...electronics lol.

Ditching the foam was probably a good idea. I had problems and switched to beads and its been better ever since.

I let it air out a bit and now it's reading around 51% (about 69/70%) I think that's decent. I may let it air out a little more to bring it down to 67/68. I think I will get the Xikar as well. Thanks yall.

Why 'never'?

Some wrappers like a little more humidity.
Over the course time I've noticed a difference with various cigars.
Some, (VSG's say) seem to be a little 'dry' when at 65%

Overall 65% is a nice mid-line.