• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

CAO 65th Anniversary

SamGuss

Just sat down and started up a Gold Box 65th Anniversary C.A.O. Unlike most C.A.O. cigars (and truly what two makes by C.A.O. are alike?) this one starts off kinda dry and sawdusty.

Pleasant aroma however, and the taste after just a few puffs does take on a milder cedar and dry berry taste that is pleasing to the taste buds.

Smooth and fast draw for such a firm cigar, and so far burning evenly with a nice white/gray ash coat. The ember though is amazing, though squarish as is the cigar a squarish round (yeah great decription I know), the ember burns into a nice oval at the end of the cigar (pre-first ash drop off) which adds a unique shape to this otherwise average looking cigar.

The band itself is also unique in that it doesn't protray the traditional C.A.O. lettering but rather a protrait of the man I assume started C.A.O. - let me guess - 65 years ago? Yes folks I am guessing at that last part,

Anyway will report back later as I finish the cigar for any additional tasting notes. In the meantime this is Sam a.k.a. the newbie reviewer saying.... "I'm baaaackkkkkk" :sign:

Sam

Thanks sibernation,

I can never attest to the accuracy of my reviews because well I have no idea how accurate they are :D however I do have fun writing them and exploring how to describe what I define as "individual and memorable experiences".

All that just to say thanks :)

Sam

Hey Sam just in case you didn't see my post in the buy/sell/trade section. I want some of these cigars especially the tonton or the moda. :D hint, hint, hint. SSSSSSOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO just in case you where wondering if I wanted any cigars. :D :p

Paragod I will keep that in mind when I go back to Dee's next week for my next purchase. They had 2 1/2 boxes in the humi (which means they have twice that at least in the back room downstairs humi usually) and the individual sticks were priced rather reasonably. If they are still in stock next week when I go back I will pick up a couple for you. Just remember my reviews are not endorsed by anyone other than my own tastes which have been considered circumstance since I insist that I still enjoy a good Onyx once in awhile and C.A.O. of almost any line is still a "go-to" ciigar for me LOL.

Sam

Alrighty then, the last half of this cigar...

Overall this was a pleasant suprise. I know a lot of people have had problems with C.A.O. cigars and really outside of the Honey Golds, I have enjoyed everyone I have ever had with very few problems that have been associated with the C.A.O. brand.

The 65th anniversary edition - 50 x 5" - not sure what they named this size (anyone?) - was a pleasant smoke that lasted a bit over an hour. I didn't nub this one as I tend to do with a good cigar, as the last quarter-third just didn't smoke as well as I though it should compared to the rest of the cigar. So I left a good thing end just as that - a good thing.

The cigar itself wasn't overly complicated, no where even close to say the Odyessy (yummmmmmmmmmmmm) but definately with more charcter than Extreme's and other tubes I have had. Fairly simple in regards to taste as described earlier and consistant throughout the cigar. Until I ended it, good volume and odor of smoke, though at the end it did tend to get a more ashy than I like, which is why I just let it lay.

Overall I would rate this cigar mid 80's - say 85-86. This rates it as a Good to excellent cigar. When compared to price though for my flavor tastes I am as happy with the 1964 anniversary line. At the store I bought these, the 65th anny were just slightly more expensive. The box however is BEAUTIFUL. I have to admit that it is the box that caught my eye when I was reaching for a C.A.O. as part of my selection tonight. So bottom line is if you are a fan of the 1964 anny series then this will be a well added cigar. If you are not happy with the 64 line, then give this one a try at least but I would be suprised if you were overly happy with it. If you do like the 64 line then this one is different enough to warrant the new label. I do want to smoke one of each back to back eventually for further detailed notes.

And that folks is tonight's review. Until next time!

Sam

This was the Tonton by the way.

Thanks to Paragod for the link that showed me the light ;-)

Sam

Well it is official. I have bought a box of the TonTon's. I should get it on Monday. Woohoo. not bad in price. Total was 75.00 with shipping. for 10 sticks.

Awesome buy Paragod!

I'll be in otuch later this week, start of next week ;)

Sam

Sam, I think the 65th ann was made for the big guys 65th Bday...... I think!

This is from the CAO website.
"65th Anniversary Cigar
The CAO 65th Anniversary cigar is a limited edition item made in honor of founder Cano A. Ozgener's 65th Birthday. The cigar reflects Cano's personality in that it is rich, complex with hints of sweetness and is meant to leave a smile on one's face. The wrapper, binder and filler are all from various farms and specific regions of Nicaragua to compose this puro. Part of the proceeds from the sales of this cigar will be donated to cancer research. "

TONTON-open.jpg

See that! I'm not as think as you stupid I am! :p