• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

CAO Black Line

I have been on the hunt for a month now for the CAO Black Man O WAR i took a trip back home to memphis this week and went the the first cigar shop i found. I ask the shop owner for the CAO Man of War and they said they never heard of it and almost called me a lier. Well later this week i was listening to the DOGWATCH PODCAST and low and behold they was speaking on the CAO Black Line. They said it was not a true CAO sub line but a line created for Cigar International. They also said it was a CAO gold repackaged. My question is. Is this true? Has anyone else have any information on this? Please let me know.

Alright, some help for ya is here.

"They said it was not a true CAO sub line but a line created for Cigar International"

-Nope, several other cigar retailers have it, although shopping around is good because internet prices are all over the place.

"CAO gold repackaged"

-Nope, not that either.

Copied from cigar.com's page on the item.

The CAO Black is the original CAO blend that put the brand on the map and led to the overwhelming success of CAO cigars today. Only available at Cigar.com(Not true of course) and a small number of retailers worldwide, these cigars are often difficult to find.(I have found plenty of them online, and if you want to try the blend itself, some of the sizes can be found on CBid as well)

When Cano Ozinger transitioned from pipe maker to cigar manufacturer, he had no idea how big his cigar business was about to become. In fact, today an overwhelming majority of their business is in cigars. They have developed some of the most unique cigar concepts and have utilized state of the art packaging and high-grade tobacco to put CAO on the map as one of the fastest growing manufacturers in the world with distribution inside and outside the US.

CAO Black is a rare find. It is the first regular blend ever made by CAO and only available at a handful of select retailers.(Not really) It is the blend that made them famous and is still highly regarded today. In 2005 it received a perfect 10 out of 10 rating from Cigar Buyer Magazine. Each box of CAO Black is individually numbered and a collectors item in and of itself. The cigars are medium-bodied with a soft and dry finish and are only being made in limited supply. Don’t miss your chance to try a piece of cigar history.

Copied from CI's page

Bengal BOX OF 20 (reg.$128) 6.0 x 50 In Stock $102.00
Bengal 5-PACK 6.0 x 50 In Stock $26.00

Frontier BOX OF 20 (reg.$135) 7.0 x 50 In Stock $108.00
Frontier 5-PACK 7.0 x 50 In Stock $27.00

Gothic (torpedo) BOX OF 20 (reg.$150) 6.0 x 52 In Stock $118.00
Gothic (torpedo) 5-PACK 6.0 x 52 In Stock $30.00

Man O' War
Limited-Edition! BOX OF 10 (reg.$100) 6.0 x 60 In Stock $75.00

Mosaic BOX OF 20 (reg.$110) 6.0 x 42 In Stock $88.00
Mosaic 5-PACK 6.0 x 42 In Stock $22.00

Storm BOX OF 20 (reg.$118) 5.0 x 50 10-12 days $94.00
Storm 5-PACK 5.0 x 50 In Stock $24.00

If you wouldn't mind posting a link to that podcast, I would like to listen to it. With that kind of blatant misinformation being said, I wouldn't be too surprised to see them shilling for a different company.

I had one a while back. Nothing special to remember, but I did just have one so who knows.

The CAO Black I smoked was the worst tasting CAO I've ever had... YMMV.

TheVitaleMob
The web site for watchdog is www.dogwatchsocialclub.com. It was the podcast #77. I was hoping that this was not true. I hope that in the time to come the truth will emerge. If anyone else has information please post i am really interested in this. I hope the dogwatch guys has creditable information before they speak on it in the media.

I've smoked a few boxes of the CAO Black Frontiers and they are most likely my favorite in the CAO line up. Haven't had a Man O' War yet and don't feel the need for a cigar that size. Personally, I really doubt they are just repackaged Golds as they are not even close to IMO.

I have an Italia lying around somewhere, need to smoke it eventually.

Edit: I just sent dogwatch a short email detailing their failings. I hope they reply back, if not correct themselves on the next podcast. Besides, the Gold is connecticut wrapper with nicaraguan binder and filler. Cigar.com describes the Black as honduran.

The Italia is my cigar. When i am justy relaxing and not trying to show off this is the cigar for me. Its smooth and don't leave a after taste. And it is easy to find. I smoked a CAo black last night and found it to be a good smoke. I think it was a little peppery and around the mid-full range. I think i will grad me a whole box. Thats if this rumor is not true of course. The brazilia is good also. But the Italia is the man. :thumbs:

i agree with avb. they are definatly not the the gold label repackaged. and i bought a box a few weeks ago and really enjoyed them.

I may have to try this one. CAO is a brand I’ve wanted to like for awhile they’ve got good construction and decently priced but they just haven’t had the taste I’ve liked that much.

If you wouldn't mind posting a link to that podcast, I would like to listen to it. With that kind of blatant misinformation being said, I wouldn't be too surprised to see them shilling for a different company.

Thanks for all the input guys, we'll check into it more closely. However, our information came from a CAO rep directly, standing in a B&M. No intent at all on our part at any blatant misinformation - we had the info from a (supposedly) reliable source that works for the company.

Stay tuned, we will update on the show. Those who've listened to us for well over a year know that we shill for no one and always make corrections on the air when we find we're wrong.

Thanks for all the input guys, we'll check into it more closely. However, our information came from a CAO rep directly, standing in a B&M. No intent at all on our part at any blatant misinformation - we had the info from a (supposedly) reliable source that works for the company.

Stay tuned, we will update on the show. Those who've listened to us for well over a year know that we shill for no one and always make corrections on the air when we find we're wrong.

Good play guys!!

Holy crap it's dog watch dale. :thumbs: i hope you guys could get to the bottom of this mystery. But please don't wait till your next broadcast. I would like to know the deal before i drop money on something not real. Thanks for your time.

Holy crap it's dog watch dale. :thumbs: i hope you guys could get to the bottom of this mystery. But please don't wait till your next broadcast. I would like to know the deal before i drop money on something not real. Thanks for your time.

The CAO Black is definitely real, and if you like it I say pull the trigger if the price is right! I don't know if we will be able to track down any other info then the good BOTL have provided in this thread before we record the next show tomorrow night or not. If we do we'll report it. If not, we'll note that our earlier information is in question and there is strong evidence to the contrary.

I have not had either the Black or the Gold (I love the Brazilia!). I know others in this thread said they definitely taste different. It appears from the info sent us that they are completely different. We do have info from others that smoke them both all the time who say they taste exactly the same, and buy which ever they find at the best price. Very interesting situation!

I will spend time after work checking it all out and you'll hear what we know soon.

:D
The CAO Black I smoked was the worst tasting CAO I've ever had... YMMV.

Not as bad as the Golds, but up there! :angry: I do like the Brazilia's and am waiting anxiously to try the Italias :)

I had my first Italia this past weekend boone... Damn good!!! :thumbs:

That settles it! I'm going to my B&M tomorrow and buying one and smoking it on the spot...since I don't have to worry about work or anything! :D

CAO Blacks used to be my favorite smoke in the CAO line. However, just recently I've realized that they don't do it for me any longer. It probably doesn't help that my diet has been exclusively Padron and Don Pepin lately. At any rate, I've now got 3/4 of a box of torpedoes and no desire to smoke anymore of them.