• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

CAO Gold Robusto

jimmythesaint

Prior to writing this, I searched the forums and read a ton of previously posted reviews about this cigar. They seemed to vary quite dramatically between love and hate.

Last night I lit up a CAO Gold Robusto (purchased from cbid), and had problems right from the start.

The wrapper began unraveling immediately. I could not keep the thing lit for the first half. When it was lit, it began to tunnel (another term I've picked up by searching here...) really badly. The draw was equivalent to sucking on a straw in a really thick milkshake. Other than that, no complaints. :whistling:

As for flavor, this was extremely mild. I don't mind mild, as long as there's something there. I really couldn't pick out a whole lot at all with this cigar; maybe some coffee, a slight creaminess, that's about it.

Earlier in the day, I had smoked one of the Pirate's Gold, also picked up from C-bid. While the Pirate's Gold was not by any means a 'great' cigar, it at least didn't fall apart, had a good draw, and exhibited some nice cinnamon/nutmeg flavors. Point being, the Pirate's Gold is a 'cheap' cigar, with the CAO supposedly being a better product.

I'm almost tempted to pick another CAO Gold up from a B&M store here in town, just to compare. Maybe I just got a bad stick. But that still doesn't explain the flavor...or rather complete lack thereof...

As so many people on here say, smoke what you like. I certainly don't mean to belittle anyone's preferences, but I didn't care for this cigar at all, and frankly was expecting more/better from a producer like CAO.

Thanks for the review. I have yet to try one of these, but I usually have a two cigar rule before throwing the gauntlet at the brand. So give a second stick a try, and see if perhaps you didn't just have a bad stick from the beginning. If after two of them your opinion is the same, you know what NOT to buy in the future!

Sounds like a typical CAO. I stay away from the Golds at all costs! Nice review though! :thumbs:

I too, have had the same type of experience with the CAO Golds. I for one, avoid them and most CAO's....I really don't dig them. The CAO Cameroons are, IMHO, the best of the line.

I have tried one of these as well, and although I did not have ant burn, draw or construction issues, there just didn't seem to be any flavor. I love the Brazilia, and the Crillio(sp) is not that bad either. I have a few more golds in the humi and will try another soon.

Tim

The first (and only) CAO I have tried up to this point is the Brazilia, and I thought it was a very good cigar. I hear a lot of bashing on the Gold label, but I think I may have one in my humidor to try and see how it smokes.

I had a CAO Gold Torpedo a couple nights ago and I didn't have any of these problems. Good construction, the draw was fine, no touch ups needed, and it held a nice light grey ash. However I do agree that there really isn't much in the way of complexity for this particular stick. Overall I didn't think it was bad but it isn't anything to rave about either. I think my next CAO is going to be a cameroon or the ever so popular brazilia, perhaps you should try one of these before giving up on CAO?

I'm not giving up on CAO, I just meant specifically their 'Gold' offerings. I was disappointed in this particular cigar, but had one from their Italia line last week that was a very solid smoke.