• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Cao L'Anniversaire Cameroon

Marco-Polo

Go Irish Go!
Cigar: CAO L'Anniversaire Cameroon
Vitola: Robusto, 5x50
Wrapper/Binder/Filler: Cameroon/Nicaragua/Nicaragua

Executive Summary: A very smooth medium smoke, well constructed and flavorful. Recommended. 8.6/10

gallery_7338_837_40043.jpg

Preamble: Last night, my wife and I went to the first lecture in the Philadelphia Speaker Series, Steve Forbes. I realize you have to dumb down basic finance to reach a general audience, but I hadn't realized that supposedly well-informed adults thought you could stave off bankruptcy by WISHING REALLY HARD. Now I need a cigar and a strong drink. Unfortunately, all I have is the cigar. Fortunately, it's a good cigar, the CAO L'Anniversaire Cameroon.

gallery_7338_837_26618.jpg

gallery_7338_837_23542.jpg

Appearance: Very nice box-pressed cigar. Wrapper is the color of milk chocolate, no variation in color or mottling. Texture is smooth and slightly oily, excellent characteristics for a Cameroon leaf (which can look pretty beaten up). Wrapper is extremely smooth, with only one very small vein apparent. Box-press is slightly rectangular, not square. Barrel of the cigar is uniformly firm, with little variation between points. Label is black on a gold background, clearly legible, distinctive and modern, none of the ubiquitous cigar-band rococo mess. Easy clip, easy prelight draw. 9/10 - just about the highest possible with a Cameroon wrapper. (NB. that's not mold on the wrapper, that's ash - it picked up a few smudges after falling into the ashtray.)

gallery_7338_837_38040.jpg

gallery_7338_837_40005.jpg

Flavor: First third is woody/nutty, mild-medium intensity. Spice is sweet, perhaps cinnamon or nutmeg. Plenty of thick, white, and aromatic smoke.

Second third is primarily roasted, coffee or cocoa. No bitterness, extremely smooth. Like a lot of cameroons, there's a sweet top note and the spice is more woody (like cinnamon and nutmeg) than peppery (like, well, pepper). The smoke is pleasant to draw through the nose; wine guys will know what I mean when I say that this cigar has a much stronger nose than body in the 2nd third. Which is not at all a bad thing. There's a place for artful and subtle.

Final third increases proportionally in power. Roasted flavors have completely replaced the woody start at this point. The sweetish note, like caramel or honey, increases in strength. Smooth through to the last 3/4 inch, when I started worrying that my fingertips might be contributing to the roasted aroma.

Loses points for lack of complexity, but still a very nice cigar. 8.5/10

gallery_7338_837_15851.jpg

Construction: Ash is white to light grey with the odd darker stripe, and is firm although not extremely solid. Burn is very straight across, even when unattended. I left it burning for 5 minutes after the 2nd third, and stayed lit and continued to burn straight. The draw has slight resistance, but no more than that - essentially perfect. The last inch and a half burns a little hot, but on the other hand, it is the last inch. 8.5/10

gallery_7338_837_18025.jpg

gallery_7338_837_9420.jpg

Thanks for the review.

I like this cigar myself. The flavor from the Cameroon wrapper makes all the difference.

You and the wife thinking of getting rich quick?

One question on the cigar: What's the white looking fuzzy stuff on the foot and along the edge of your clip? Looks like mold. Just curious.

We bought tickets to the speaker series (it's sold out every year, and you have to buy series tickets), and I'm always interested in what public figures have to say. In other words, I didn't learn anything about finance, but I learned a lot about Steve Forbes.

The stuff is ash, not mold. The cigar fell in the ashtray after I unwrapped it, and I didn't brush it off before shooting it. I haven't had any problems with mold since moving to PA, since my basement stays at a stable 66-68 temperature and humidity with little intervention.

While I am not a Cameroon fan this was a very good cigar. Thanks for the review rp

I do really enjoy this from time to time, and was one of the first CAOs I had.

Nice pictures and review mate.

Nicely done. I LOVE the CAO LX2. I snag a few of those, a Brazilian, L'Anniversaire Cameroon and an Italia. I've been very happy w/ the CAO brand. I'm excited for the others. I'll have reviews for everyone once I've enjoyed them.

-Gianni-

I am a little on the fence on this one, while i like the cameroon wrapper a bit I thought it fell a little flat for me. The last third of the one I smoked just felt a bit harsh and hot. Just my noob 2 cents.