• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

CAO LX2

OpusXKC

MOΛΩN ΛABE
CAO LX2 Robusto

Every now and again I am lucky enough to try cigars before they are normally available. I like using these opportunities to take a little more time with a cigar and form a few opinions.

Seems Tim and the boys at CAO have come up with another cigar to bring to market called the LX2, which is a double ligero. I was quite a fan of the original CAO Maduro in the late 90's and a current fan of the Brazilia Box Press and the Vision. The only question I have, is if this will meet these expectations.

--First Impressions--

IMAGE_051.jpg

The cigar is tightly wrapped with a smooth dark wrapper. It is easy to see the sheen of oil over the silky surface. Smelling this cigar gives the impression of sweet somewhat floral spice and cedar. A dry draw through this smoke provides a tangy sweet malty spice. So far so good, time to generously apply some fire.

--Light and First Quarter--

IMAGE_052.jpg

As soon as I light this cigar a strong complex of malty sweet, black pepper spice easily fills the mouth. The draw is easy and generous. Rolling the smoke through the nose provides quite an effervescent tingle that perks me up and gets my attention. An after note of tea with cream and oily jalapeño spice settle on the palette.

The smoke is quite thick and heavy with sticky mouth feel. An overall impression of sweet and spicy with a cooling finish is left with me. Almost like pineapple salsa and a beer.

--Second Quarter--

IMAGE_053.jpg

As if right on que this cigar changes pace and the spice quickly leaves the dominant position. Filling its shoes is a still sticky nougat smoke with a meaty backing. Rolling away you are left with a salty tang that helps to open things up. At this point the cigar is still holding up quite well. The construction is very good, but the ash is a bit flaky falling off like leaves in the fall.

--At the half--

IMAGE_054.jpg

Around this point it becomes unfortunate that I find a soft spot in the cigar. As things have heated a small point past the half has become loose enough to quite effect the draw. While I work through this I must re-light and touch things up along the way leading to tart and piny flavors in the smoke.

--Finish and Overall impressions--

IMAGE_055.jpg

I did smoke through the softer section of this cigar, but it left a bad impression on me, so this stick came to a premature end. I'm actually quite sad for that, as up until that point the cigar was quite excellent. The flavors and complexity were reminiscent of all three of the previously mentioned CAO favorites of mine, plus it included a few new and unexpected notes. I think this will be a good line and look forward to smoking one again. Guess I'll just have to wait.

--Smokem' if you gotem'--

-Tony

EDIT -- So I can repost on the Outlaw forum

Good idea, checking for ejaculation spots prior to lighting up (first photo). :cool:

Great review bro, thanks for sharing.

Tony,

Nice review - you beat me to posting my review of this cigar. I found mine to have the same light ash, and a soft spot that made finishing the cigar a dissapointment. I actually put it down two thirds of the way through - as I got tired of correcting and relighting. Not a big CAO fan, so I don't think I will be missing much. :cool:

provides quite an effervescent tingle that perks me up and gets my attention.

Oh I thought you were putting POP ROCKS in strange orifices again...

lol j/k bro, thanks for the review.

How is it compared to LFD DL's?
The LX2 is a much sweeter smoke than the LFD. The spice is not as potent in the black pepper category either. I would say the LX2 has flavor that includes a dash of sungrown almost.

I am a fan of the CAO's I will give one a try when they make it out to play.

My Fiance Kim says that i am a CAO whore at heart :love: so i do look forward to whatever they put out :thumbs: , thanks for the great review and now that jst gave me more of a reason to go to the 3 B&M's aroud me to look for that stick, two of which carry a lot of CAO, hopefully this one and soon :D

Thanks Tony for the review. I had heard about a new double ligero coming down the pipe, and its always good to have a brother testing em out before I go spending my $ on an unknown smoke....hell I can do that gambling ;) Anyways since the LFD double ligero's are pretty much at the high end of my taste buds a sweeter version may be an interesting smoke.

Joe