• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

CAO Mx2 Belicoso

Shamrocker

Sheik Yerbouti
After what seemed like an eternity waiting for my birthday gift to arrive, a delivery slip appeared in my mailbox. I picked up my box and rushed home to rearrange my humidor. After a little leaf raking and lawn mowing, it seemed like a good idea to light one of the new arrivals up. I selected the victim.. er.. cigar and my first impression was "Wow, this is a heavy stick!". I took it out of the cello wrap and inspected it. The dark chocolate brown wrapper had a little tooth to it with a few veins, but nothing prominent. It smelled a little sweet, kind of a vanilla-honey scent, and the wrapper tasted slightly peppery and leathery.

The end clipped off nice and clean and even with no tears or crushing. Pre-light draw was the perfect feel with a very mild bittersweet chocolate taste. I didn't know what to expect from this cigar, as this was my first time smoking a CAO, and smoking a torpedo. From what I'd read this was a medium-full bodied cigar.

The torch lit up the foot nice and evenly. The first 1/3 started fairly mild tasting with an aroma that was intoxicating. Even being outside with a bit of a breeze I could smell the smoke easily and hoped that the flavour wouldn't dissapoint. Half an inch goes by and the flavour profile shifts into high gear, now I'm picking up the dark roast coffee and bitter chocolate flavour and I'm getting a mild peppery aftertaste on the back of my tongue. Going into the next 1/3 there's a real change in the strength of the cigar too, going from mild-medium to medium-strong. The volume of smoke is impressive, and it feels rich without feeling like it's coating the inside of my mouth. The flavour becomes a little more bitter, but not in a bad way. The final third starts to make the tip of my tongue tingle.. a new sensation for me.The chocolate disappears making way for leathery and strangely enough, almost a beefy taste, but that disappeared after a few minutes.

The ash was a medium gray that held firm for the first 1.5 inches, and the burn was fairly straight, needing only one touch up. I thoroughly enjoyed this cigar, and I probably would have nubbed it if it weren't for the fact I had to leave to pick up my wife from work. I was amazed at how long of a smoke this was. I started it at 4:00 and left it at around 5:45, and still probably had 20 minutes until nub. This cigar also handed me a bit of an a$$-kicking. After deciding to end the smoke I got up and was a little light headed and felt my pulse was a little higher than normal. I didn't realize how much time had passed since my early lunch today and I guess I had a fairly empty stomach.

All in all, a very satisfying experience with CAO. I look forward to seeing how some age will affect these.

Thanks for the review! I recently purchased a CAO sampler with this cigar in it. I am excited to try it now sometime this memorial weekend.

Thanks for the review! I recently purchased a CAO sampler with this cigar in it. I am excited to try it now sometime this memorial weekend.

Was that the 7 cigar sampler with the Seed to Soul DVD?

Nice review, glad you enjoyed the cigar. The MX2 is probably my favorite CAO cigar.

Nice review, glad you enjoyed the cigar. The MX2 is probably my favorite CAO cigar.

Thank you 06r6. Have you tried many of the sizes in the Mx2 line? I'm interested in getting my hands on something a little smaller than the Beli since it is such a long smoke... but that'll come in time since my humi is a tad full right now.

Ya, I normally smoke the Robusto or the Toro, both are great smokes. I do enjoy the Belicoso when I want a long smoke though.

I to enjoyed the MX2 "toro" I believe it was worth the money I paid for it. It burned straight and the draw as excellent!! Enjoyed it with a dram of Ardbeg 10 year

Damn it, now I'm going to have to buy the Mx2. I've been jonesing for the Cx2 for a couple of weeks now. I was going to go to the local B&M and pick one up. I guess I'll get the Mx2 as well.

Thanks for the review.

Just out of curiousity... what price range do your local B&M's charge for CAO cigars? I was talking with one of the staff at basically the one and only B&M here in Winnipeg and he was saying that CAO recently dropped their Canadian distributor, which pretty much leaves me with slim pickings. They happened to have only 4 CAO Italia Ciao cigars left in stock, and they were charging in the range of $16. Keep in mind that's Canadian dollars, after duty and taxes are levied. I think Manitoba has a rather high (read: obscene) tax on tobacco too, something like 200%.

At my local B&M they run about 6-8 dollars for the Italia, depending on the size.

I have two MX2 Toros that I have been saving for over a year, makes me want to go fire one up.