• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

CAO sold to Henri Wintermans

I was looking over the Wintermans website and it seems they use machines to roll their cigars. Would anyone have experience with Wintermans brands first hand to comment on the quality of the smoke?

I don't know how I feel about this... might be time to stock up on some of my faves before it's too late.

To quote: "Wintermans has very little presence in the United States, and no long-filler cigar assets prior to the acquisition."

To quote: "Wintermans has very little presence in the United States, and no long-filler cigar assets prior to the acquisition."
Yeah, that was the line that wprried me the most.

Wonder what this will do to the quality of CAO cigars over the long term?

Personally, I'd welcome any change that can be offered. The Soprano's line is the only CAO that I've ever smoked that made me want another.

CAO is one of my everyday smokes, I am highly uneasy about this. ???

I think it was more of a distribution effort, more world wide, than anything else. How can you fix something that isn't broken?

co-hiba

I spent five months last year in Finland, those Cafe Creme cigars are everywhere. The little 10 cigarillo tins are sold in every grocer and market. I tried a few and they were exactly what you would expect from a tiny cigar. They are almost always dry and they all burn hot, but like I said what could I expect. It will quell a nic fit but not much else. JMO

Billy

They acquired all assets of CAO also I would assume in addition to the name. Did CAO even have their own factories / fields? From my recollection, the majority of their cigars are made by Torano and Perdomo anyways, so I would imagine that it wouldn't change much.

I am sure they will expand their flavours line, but messing with their blends and success would be suicide.

Yeah, that was the line that wprried me the most.

We're talking about the Swiss here. They're very smart and I'm sure, won't fix what isn't broke.

I thought they were Dutch... I could be wrong

Tim signed on for 5 years. What will be interesting is how the relationship with the Torano family will change if Tim leaves, I believe Tim and the younger Torano are tight and work well together.

http://www.cigaraficionado.com/Cigar/CA_Fe...44,1751,00.html

Wonder what this will do to the quality of CAO cigars over the long term?

Thanks for the news!

I don't get the impression they will start using machines and if damage is done, it's a good 5 years while the CAO son is president. It could be a good thing as this new company was looking to start competition in the long filler market and this is what they chose for the fight. I guess we will see.

(please keep the italia the same..:)

henri wintermans are retarded dry no matter how long i've left em in my humi, it will never be an enjoyable smoke. they were my first tin buy and i almost didn't buy anymore from fear that smaller gars would be this terrible, good thing i was wrong. :)

If anything CAO will get better for this deal. You won't notice any changes for at least a year, but I predict that CAO's output is going into high gear after that. They lacked production facilities, but with Wintermans' money, I'll bet they build out quickly. It looks like Wintermans wants to come play in Altadis' sandbox and this was the path of least resistance.

I was worried enough when they announced Tim was taking over. Just wait until you try the Vision, if you think the Sopranos is over priced for what it is! Big companies always screw things up in The Cigar Industry, this is an industry best run by families. The proof is in the pudding. Family outfits, Padron, Fuente, Rocky Patel, La Flor, Tatuaje, etc.. Now compare these to the Corporate brands, Macanudo, Montecristo, Cohiba etc.. A bunch of overpriced junk and it's already started over at CAO. If the past is an indicator of the future, CAO is in big trouble. I hope not, but every single time a small guy was taken over by a biggie the quality has went way down hill and not once have I ever seen quality improve. I'm really sad to see this happen I really liked dealing with CAO.

Al

I was worried enough when they announced Tim was taking over. Just wait until you try the Vision, if you think the Sopranos is over priced for what it is! Big companies always screw things up in The Cigar Industry, this is an industry best run by families. The proof is in the pudding. Family outfits, Padron, Fuente, Rocky Patel, La Flor, Tatuaje, etc.. Now compare these to the Corporate brands, Macanudo, Montecristo, Cohiba etc.. A bunch of overpriced junk and it's already started over at CAO. If the past is an indicator of the future, CAO is in big trouble. I hope not, but every single time a small guy was taken over by a biggie the quality has went way down hill and not once have I ever seen quality improve. I'm really sad to see this happen I really liked dealing with CAO.

Al

Damn Al, you just made me feel really bad. :(

I don't know how I feel about this... might be time to stock up on some of my faves before it's too late.

I'm with you on this. I'm not sure what to expect of this announcement. Hopefully Tim can keep the quality control in check since he'll remain as president.

"Ozgener stressed that C.A.O. would continue doing business as usual, with the business headquartered in Tennessee and cigars made in Nicaragua, Honduras and the Dominican Republic. "We're just going to keep on doing what we're doing," he said.

I believe Perdomo makes part if not all CAO's. I'm sure someone may be better informed. I really don't see a change with that attitude.