• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

CAO sold to Henri Wintermans

"Ozgener stressed that C.A.O. would continue doing business as usual, with the business headquartered in Tennessee and cigars made in Nicaragua, Honduras and the Dominican Republic. "We're just going to keep on doing what we're doing," he said.

I believe Perdomo makes part if not all CAO's. I'm sure someone may be better informed. I really don't see a change with that attitude.

I thought they had a relationship with the Torano family.

"Family outfits, Padron, Fuente, Rocky Patel ..."

I don't know if I would categorize Patel as a traditional 'family outfit'.

My understanding is that Rocky Patel is/was a lawyer who made bundles of cash practicing entertainment law in Hollywood. He became interested in cigars during the early 90's boom and has actually been in the cigar business since 1996, when he was invited to invest some of his bundled cash into the making of cigars.

If this information is incorrect, please advise.

I think it was more of a distribution effort, more world wide, than anything else. How can you fix something that isn't broken?

co-hiba

That sums it up.....all remains the same.

Steve @ CAO
NY/NJ RSM

"Ozgener stressed that C.A.O. would continue doing business as usual, with the business headquartered in Tennessee and cigars made in Nicaragua, Honduras and the Dominican Republic. "We're just going to keep on doing what we're doing," he said.

I believe Perdomo makes part if not all CAO's. I'm sure someone may be better informed. I really don't see a change with that attitude.
No, Perdomo makes nothing for CAO! They cut ties with them years ago. Torano does quite a bit but they are actually making quite a bit of it themselves. This won't change a thing on the consumer end. The distribution will be larger with more of a European presence! Tim has been running this company for the better part of a year anyway! It's good to see Cano retire, he's been sick for a long time. This move makes them the third largest in the business. Hell, this may make it a little easier to get MX2s. I'll have to disagree with you on the Vision Al. It's expensive but you are really paying for the package. The cigar stands up on it's own!

I think it was more of a distribution effort, more world wide, than anything else. How can you fix something that isn't broken?

co-hiba

That sums it up.....all remains the same.

Steve @ CAO
NY/NJ RSM

Hey Steve,

Been a long time! Welcome to the neighborhood. Barry tells me you are doing well!

All the best, Chris

I think I'm gonna buy a couple boxes of the Brazilia Ipanema's and sock em away....just to be safe!

I have yet to try a CAO that made even a slight impression on me. Construction and burn is top notch, just flavorless and bland from start to finish. Never bothered with the more expensive stuff, just can't justify the price based on the ones I did try.

Indeed Nick doesn't make any cigar for CAO anymore, Nick didn't want the name Perdomo / CAO on his door.
The Torano's didn't mind painting the wall of the Danli Facility so they have a join venture now.

The CAO flavours are made at La Aurora overhere in the DR.

Stating that this makes CAO the third biggest in the world is BS my friends, Wintermans is known for the cheap crappy cafe creme cigars, which they pump out like crazy, so quantitywise they are the 3th, wintermans doesn't have a decent presence in the US, in europe it's different but one of winterman's main market's France is not waiting for overpriced non cuban cigars and knowing the numbers and the european market i am sure wintermans can't push any product on the market what retailers don't want to have in their inventory and the consumers don't want to buy. (the european market for handmade cigars is simply very little, if you sell on a market like Germany 250.000 handmade cigars a year you are a king. in other words i can tell you if they are able with a brand like CAO to sell 2 million cigars on the european market in total then they are champions
the only little difference is maybe that HW might have some duty free market power, but that wouldn make a big difference.

And knowing the dutch (lol) they will maintain it as it is, zij zullen echt de kip met de gouden eieren niet slachten , as we say in dutch (we don't slaugther a chicken with golden eggs) so they will try to maintain quality as it is.

Greetz BC

I have yet to try a CAO that made even a slight impression on me. Construction and burn is top notch, just flavorless and bland from start to finish. Never bothered with the more expensive stuff, just can't justify the price based on the ones I did try.

I'm with you on this one, Rob. However, one of these days I'm still going to try one of those Sopranos. The special that Al has going right now is tempting, that is, if you want a box.

Ditto. I've tried a Brazilia and a Criollo, and they just didn't float my boat. Construction and burn were flawless, but the flavor profiles just didn't get it done for me.

For you guys that like 'em, I hope things don't change with the acquisition.

Regards - B.B.S.

Personally I think CAO is utter trash so I dont see how this will change anything. I tried another CAO for the first time in almost a year and yep, still crap. Cigar didn't even burn right and I had to correct this cigar so many times it wasn't even funny. Quality of a dog rocket thats for sure and the flavor profile fit one too. :laugh: