• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

CAO Sopranos

Pyre

Back with a vengeance
Saw this beauty at the cigar shop the other day and decided to give it a go.

Appearance was very nice. Wrapper was very dark and showed a fine layer of tooth. The cap was nicely wrapped, and had a little round cap glued right to the end like a padron anni might have. Also, the band is pretty neat looking :)

Clipped easily and the prelight draw was a little spicy.

First few puffs had a little spice, but the peppery flavors diminished the longer I smoked it. I expected this thing to be powerful and spicy, but it was very nice. Pretty smooth, medium bodied smoke. One thing I noticed was that the smoke from this was the bluest cigar smoke I have ever seen. Very nice!

The flavor was quite nice. I sat for a while trying to articulate the flavors, but I didn't have much luck. I ended up deciding that it had a flavor profile similar to other CAO's I had in the past.

The burn kept wanting to go funny on me. The cigar shop had their humidor door removed so they could clean it, and their humidifier was just running full blast to keep the RH up. That probably had a lot to do with it.

Overall, I give this cigar an 8.8 / 10

Was it worth $12? I concluded that the cigar was worth $10-$11 to me, so the extra buck isn't hurting anyone.

Will I buy another? Possibly... but maybe not. For me, a cigar that tops $10 had better be something special to compete with the padron anniversaries, which are a favorite of mine. For the money, I'd rather buy a '64.

But, I could see someone really liking these a lot. If you are a fan of CAO's, I think you'd like this one.

I've been told from a CAO rep that the blend of the Soprano cigars is a CAO MX2 wrapper with a CAO Brazilia binder and filler. I enjoyed the smoke myself but with the belicoso being around $14-16 here in Vegas it is a tough sell most of the time for me.....

One of the few CAOs I haven't had yet. $12 is gettin' up there though for a CAO.

I've been told from a CAO rep that the blend of the Soprano cigars is a CAO MX2 wrapper with a CAO Brazilia binder and filler. I enjoyed the smoke myself but with the belicoso being around $14-16 here in Vegas it is a tough sell most of the time for me.....

Your rep needs to do some research. The Soprano uses a Brazilian Mata Fina Maduro wrapper, while the MX-2 uses Connecticut Broadleaf Maduro. The Soprano binder is Honduran, the Brazilia binder is from Nicaragua. The Soprano filler is a blend of tobaccos from Nicaragua, Columbia and The Dominican Republic, the Brazilia uses all Nicaraguan filler.

Haven't had one yet. The price seemed a little steep to me for a CAO. I do like the boxes though!

I love these cigars.
I have 4 resting,one was gifted.They are all "the associate" (robusto size).
I have a shop by the inlaws an hr away that sells the associate for 9ish.
I recently went to a new shop by me recommended by another shop owner by bobalouie's house an hour north of me and when I told the lady "johnny" sent me she offered me 20% off on the soprano's I was interested in.All in a days shopping I grabbed 15singles at msrp...some 64's some 26's some VSG corona gorde's some others and later this week I will be picking up a box of Associates for $159.I like these cigars alot,but am buying mostly because once there gone there gone for good.
Thanks for the review.:D

Your rep needs to do some research. The Soprano uses a Brazilian Mata Fina Maduro wrapper, while the MX-2 uses Connecticut Broadleaf Maduro. The Soprano binder is Honduran, the Brazilia binder is from Nicaragua. The Soprano filler is a blend of tobaccos from Nicaragua, Columbia and The Dominican Republic, the Brazilia uses all Nicaraguan filler.

I should see him within the next two weeks; I'll ask him again cause it could just be me not remembering everything he told me correctly.

thanks for the review been wanting to try these but the price has kept me away. i may just bite the bullet now and order some.

Smoked a Soldier last night.
I found it to be very enjoyable down to the nubby nub.
It was a gift so price wasn't a factor...
I may have to pick up a Boss now though!

-Rob

I was reading the new Cigar aficionado during lunch today. They rated the CAO sopranos as an 88/100.

I was reading the new Cigar aficionado during lunch today. They rated the CAO sopranos as an 88/100.

It made the top 25 cigars for last year in the last CA issue before this one (with Kiefer Sutherland on the cover)

Cigar Penquin gave me one last weekend and I smoked it during the week. I nubbed the hell out of it. It was ready for the roach clip !! I really liked it alot.
Bobalouie

I think the Sopranos is by far the best cigar made by CAO. I picked up 5 boxes of Soldiers for a steal, I put 3 of them away and unloaded the other two. I can't wait to see what some age will do to these beauties.

I would highly recommend picking a box up if you can get it for a good price.

I had a soldier after the premier on the 12th of the 1st new episode of the season. I enjoyed it alot. Out of my price range at around $14 + tax here locally but as a 1 time for after the show it was well worth it!

I really like CAO, but was a bit disappointed in the Sopranos cigar. I've noticed that CAO seems to be creeping their price range up, too. To me the Sopranos was a great $5-8 cigar, but did not have the "wow" factor I would expect from a $10+ cigar. I really do like them, but for my money I'll take MX2 and Brazilia any day. (I feel the same about CX2, which might be good if it were priced similar to the MX2, but is about $2-4 too high depending on the shape). Trouble is, I'm finding it almost impossible to get any more MX2.

Sopranos was a good cigar, but not for the cost, IMO.

-K-