• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Carbon Fiber console.

Humidor Minister

First I want to say I'm not looking to sell one of these or anything like it. I spent 2 weeks just hand sanding the epoxy to a smooth finish. My finger prints are literally gone. This stuff is harder than steel. Thought you motor heads might enjoy it though. This is a Carbon Fiber console I'm building for a truck in the shop. This is just the beginning, it'll have a bolster along the edges similar to a Mercedes Benz, with a French stitch running the length of it. The opening in the back will have a piece of 3/4" plexiglass bent to match the curve and some motorization in the front opening. Once this is done we will be moving on to CF accented doors, woofer box, bed kit, over head console and more. I've been instructed to pull all the stops on this job. I do respectfully ask for no inquiries to make anything like this, it's just for your enjoyment. Thank you and please enjoy.
395646109.jpg

395645905.jpg

395645901.jpg

395645903.jpg

Thanks guys, this is my first attempt at something like this. I used the wrong resin and made a few mistakes that I had to redesign. I'm just thankful that I have clients that will let me attempt these projects. The fun has just begun though. We had just finished it and then we did this. Now we're doing everything over in CF. I think I'll put a mail box in front of it. Here is a pic of what we just finished. The box was done in a laminate that looks like swirled metal, now it doesn't match so it all comes apart to get the CF. More to come soon.
393302165.jpg

393302164.jpg

393302162.jpg

So did you inlay the carbon fiber directly into the epoxy resins? If that's what you did, I can definitely understand how you lost your fingerprints. Those pieces look great.

I've had some limited experience pouring fiberglass and carbon fiber at work, but it never turned out that nice. Carbon fiber is one of my favorite looks when the pieces fit the scheme and the light hits it.

Keep posting pics, I'm curious to see how the bed looks when it's done

I really didn't know what I was getting myself into. I just experimented until I got to this stage. My first try was with a "Clear gelcoat" Turns out it wasn't so clear. Then I did a 2nd layer of fiberglass resin, let it get tacky, then laid the CF material down on that and let it set up. Then I brushed a thin coat of Fg resin over that to stabilize the CF. Next, using a foam roller, I applied the epoxy over the CF. I did 2 coats. Now came the sanding job from hell. The epoxy I used cures to a hardness comparable to steel IMHO. I had to start with 60 grit just to get it to knock down. Then I progressed to 600 grit. Then I switch to a product called Micromesh. I use this when I build humidors, it goes to a 12000 grit and lasts a very long time.
With epoxy, you really can't get the shine it has when first applied plus it has no UV protection. Therefore I applied 5 coats of an automotive clear coat over the epoxy. This is what you see now. I will be doing a few minor cut and buffs in a few places but for the most part it turned out very clear and smooth.
Now that I've worked through my mistakes, I should be able to speed up the process.
My work force use to be 5 employees + myself, now it's just me and one other worker. Big projects like this have to be done as efficiently as possible so it's very important that I develop techniques to speed up the process w/o sacrificing quality or the results. I will say though, I'm thankful that I have clients that will allow me the time and budget to create these projects. They sure are fun. (And educational)

Now my client likes it so much that we are building an over head console, new woofer box, amp racks, door panels, tail gate accents and more. It'll be a helluva lot of work but it should be a real show stopper in the end. He also plans on a 12" lift on 52" tires and upping the Duramax diesel to 1000hp and custom paint. I'm thinking I should be in the computer and accessory business like him.

Definitely on my to do list in the future. I have a lot on my plate right now but It just has to be done. :thumbs: