• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Casa Blanca Jeroboam circa 1996

Kingantz

Growing too fast.
I had planned to put fire to this monstrosity last weekend; however unfortunately came down with a nasty cold that has lasted all week and although feeling better, my taste/smell is still not 100%. Nevertheless, today’s the day! I figured it may be a good thing my senses aren’t quite there. After doing a bit of researching, I found that this is actually called a Jeroboam measuring 10 x 66, so the largest cigar I’ll have smoked.

From what was mentioned, it has about twelve years age and definitely looks it. The light brown wrapper is coarse with small veins running throughout, evidence of some beetle damage as well. There are quite a few soft spots throughout, which I’m thinking may be where the beetles had done some munching in the binder/filler. After punching the cap I find the draw completely open with a rather bland taste, kind of like a cardboard box smells.

I put fire to the foot and at first it smelled like hair burning, quite rancid I’d say; however once the fire became solid and a bit of ash had formed, it was better. I say better in a still not so good sort of way. Taking several quick puffs, I felt a gorge in my throat and had to hold back the lemon pound cake I had just eaten, yes it was just that bad. I let the cigar rest for a bit, mustered up my strength, and then took a draw.

There was no spice to be found on the back of the tongue, the strength of the smoke very mild with the body very light over the palate. No flavor to be found other than slightly sweet; the finish quite bland. So far I was holding my own. The burn was sharp with a light gray ash forming; mild smoke flowed through the open draw in abundance.

About a half inch in was where the popping started and sounded like tiny dry twigs crackling in the fire. There's that gorge in the throat again. As mentioned previously, my smell and taste was a bit off; however not off enough. This thing was terrible with that burning hair smell/taste having returned.

Okay so, I puffed and purged through the first couple inches, tapped off the ash, and suffered on through to about halfway where the ash fell on its own. I held the cigar close to my ear and it sounded like Rice Crispies in milk. This was as far as I could go. Feeling quite nauseated, I put this thing down and simply walked away (more like ran).

Jeroboam. The final frontier. This was the voyage of a madman, an almost two hour mission to endure one of the most awful cigars ever smoked. To seek out new lows in smell and taste. To boldly go where hopefully no man will ever go again. <key theme music>

Happy Halloween everyone!

10-31-10CasaBlanca001.jpg

10-31-10CasaBlanca002.jpg

10-31-10CasaBlanca003.jpg

LOL. Nice review!

Casa Blancas were the first "real" cigar that the wife and I enjoyed on our honeymoon 5+ years ago. They were not aged 10 years, but I seem to recall them being mild, and that CT wrapper twang. We kicked the whole box that week. Of course, neither of us knew shit from shinola about cigars at that point.

Will

After doing a bit of researching, I found that this is actually called a Jeroboam measuring 10 x 66, so the largest cigar I'll have smoked.
Hey Greg, Would you have any interest in reviewing a Puros Indios Chief (18 x 66)? I have a couple of these that I got when I first got into cigars. At this point I have no idea why I bought them, and doubt I will ever smoke them. Your review reminded me of these, and I thought maybe you would like one. I'd be more than happy to send you one
smile.gif

After doing a bit of researching, I found that this is actually called a Jeroboam measuring 10 x 66, so the largest cigar I'll have smoked.
Hey Greg, Would you have any interest in reviewing a Puros Indios Chief (18 x 66)? I have a couple of these that I got when I first got into cigars. At this point I have no idea why I bought them, and doubt I will ever smoke them. Your review reminded me of these, and I thought maybe you would like one. I'd be more than happy to send you one
smile.gif

Pffftt...send it on! :whistling:

I seem to recall someone doing a review on one in the past - was it Niko? I think it took him like 4 hours to smoke. Good luck with that, Greg!

JFC, whats the point? The biggest cigar I could consider "good" is a Hemmingway Masterpiece. Anything bigger than that and what is the point? Pure spectacle?

You da man Greg!

When you mentioned a burning hair smell I couldn't help but wonder if beetles had hair on them and one of them saying, "OMG, they killed Kenny" :laugh:

LOL!

Glad to see you made it through it. Looked like an unforgettable experience. I hope JL made it worth your while.

LOL!

Glad to see you made it through it. Looked like an unforgettable experience. I hope JL made it worth your while.

Definitely hooked me up with a couple excellent sticks. More than enough to cleanse the palate! :D

smile.gif
Hasn't Greg suffered enough?! :laugh:

Actually, compared to the dried out husk pictured here the PI Chief might be a relief.

I hate stale cigars. I wouldn't have made it past that first hit. You're a braver man than I, Greg.