• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Casa Magna Oscuro No. 4

CRQuarto

Brrraaaiiinnnsss.....
Casa Magna Oscuro No. 4
Size: 5" x 44 rg Corona(?)
Wrapper: Nicaraguan / Honduran ?
Binder: Nicaraguan / Honduran ?
Filler: Nicaraguan / Honduran ?
Strength: Medium

The Oscuro is the new addition to the Casa Magna line, and was unveiled at the New Orleans trade show earlier this year to much curiosity. I've very much enjoyed the Casa Magna line, and was very pleased to hear that they were expanding it with a new blend. My good friend Bo gave this to me to try out, and of course I am always happy to sample new cigars so naturally I readily agreed. I'm not sure on the blend, as I am finding conflicting information out there which doesn't provide for a very clear idea on what tobaccos are being used for what. Some say it is a Nicaraguan puro, while others say it is a blend of Honduran and Nicaraguan. I'll have to ask the rep when I tell him my impressions.

Pre-Light

This cigar is named the Oscuro for obvious reasons, as it is very, very dark. The wrapper is almost black, with a rough appearance that features minimal oils and slight veins. The head is well done with a nicely bunched foot and reeks of barnyard. When squeezed there is a slight give with a few hard spots along the length. Did I mention this thing is dark?

Draw & Burn

On punching the cap I found the draw to be of perfect resistance, despite my initial worries due to the hard spots found in the squeeze test. The burn was spot on the duration of the smoke, requiring no touch ups or relights. The burn revealed an ash that was a very dark gray, and held strong until let go every half inch.

Flavor Profile

The pre-light draw was of an interesting note in the flavor profile, as I was picking up a hint of what I swear tasted just like a red wine. Once lit, I was greeted by an incredibly rich array of flavors that consisted of charred hickory, coffee, strong tobacco and a meaty, smoky taste. The finish was nice and long, with a lasting taste of dark espresso.

Overall Impression

I paired this cigar with a mug of Angel City Dunkel, and the rich, dark tastes complimented the chocolate and coffee tastes of the beer very well. I enjoyed this cigar, I think it is a great addition to an already delicious line, though I will say that I prefer the original Casa Magna over the Oscuro.

DSC_2443.jpg

DSC_2435.jpg

DSC_2438.jpg

DSC_2446.jpg

DSC_2440.jpg

DSC_2456.jpg

DSC_2460.jpg

Great review, brother! I've been curious about these as well, though I still have yet to smoke the CM Colorado I bought at Bo's. Damn the cold weather!

Nice Charles! I have been wondering about these. I really enjoy the regular line Casa Magna, still haven't cracked the box open I got from Israel a while back. Gonna let 'em sit for a long while I think.

Great Review, I have been meaning to try one of these, I really have to now!

I tried one a few days ago at my local B&M. It started slow, but the flavors picked up about half way. It was good but not great. I prefer the original Colorado wrapped Casa Magna.